10-Year Anniversary Name Reclaim?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by ShadowTheHunter, Dec 29, 2020.

1. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Keep em, those are pretty lame lol
    • Like x 1
  2. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

No, Minotaur and Prism are actually really good.
    • Like x 1
  3. Ebon Pegasus Master of the Speed Source

I honestly think all of them have some potential. Of course it depends on what type of character you are going for, but these are some solid Gold and Silver Age style names.
    • Like x 1
  4. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Guess I'm in a different ballpark for names, I dont like names like that.
  5. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

That's understandable. I can see why some people don't look at "OG" names the same way as we do. But we see value in them in different ways. For some, logging into to a character with a perfectly spelled name is valuable to them. Some like myself, treat such names as a sort of a style, something that coincides with a particular concept, theme, or character. Some like the clout those kind of names give. It sounds ridiculous, and it's not something I have hard data to prove, but from what I've seen people treat you differently when you use those kinds of names. They are more willing to trust you, friendlier to you.

A particular well-known staff member actually logged into DC one day. And among the many people vying for said staff member's attention in trade chat, they actually typed in the chat and responded to a player for what appears to be no reason other than because the player had the name "Demon".

I also know of someone who spent what amounts to a whole month's rent on one of those kinds of names. I personally think that's beyond insane, but it illustrates the value they hold. And you could see how it's not just a matter of creativity.

For me, the devs did a name reclaim once, so they support that idea of redistributing names from inactive players to the people who constantly play. As long as it's done fairly, I'm all in. Whatever time is needed to properly notify the original owners, I support. And if they literally log in once just to keep their names, that's fair game.
    • Like x 3
  6. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Ahhh...that's why you think that. In actuality the name reclaim happened because of the server merge between the Playstation and PC servers. That was the reason for it. The redistribution of names was just a happy coincidence that didn't exactly pan out for too many people...hence the whole name reclaim fantasies that people think would occur if they did it again.
    • Like x 2
  7. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

The reclaim being tied to the merge is true. But I'm also going off things Mepps said like in one of my earlier posts in this thread. It just appears to me that the devs wouldn't even consider planning it if they disagreed with it. He also said in another related thread that "names and naming options are a growing issue". These go back to interpretation as I was saying earlier. It's like pieces to a puzzle that when put together point in that direction. They suggest that the devs support a reclaim.
    • Like x 1
  8. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

I want one with league names tbh
    Who cares what the 10 people protesting this idea think i could give flying. If the devs gave everything a month notice to log in once to keep their name im for it.

There are people who haven’t played since the last reclaim, people who are in jail, died , gave up playing or are homless if they dont play why cant we take their name.

I think leagues could come back if there were reasonably good names open for them. I know the op is talking about character names.. but i want to see a league one.
  9. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

This is true...which is why they need a real solution to names in this game. A name reclaim is a mostly useless band-aid at best. Why? Because if it goes anything like the last one, people will just wait till the day comes and then either keep their names or sit there camping on popular/desirable names. Which means in the end, the overwhelming majority will STILL be s.o.l. when it comes to snatching up a name. Then the treads asking for yet another name reclaim will pop up like acne.
    • Like x 4
  10. SekretVillain Loyal Player

No I mean the names themselves, they dont appeal to me. Like my main characters name is Offending Habits. Has a back story why I choose that name in particular and everything.

Long story short, early on in my time in dcuo, people kept saying I'm too blunt, too offensive with my feedback or whatever it was. So I created this name in a way of warning people 'hey I have a habit of "offending" people, you have been warned'
  11. SekretVillain Loyal Player

To add on my above post, I've had about 7 or 8 original names all spelled correctly like the 1 I currently use. So I've never had issues coming up with names.
    • Like x 1
  12. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Is Brit on vacation? This one is right up his alley.

Personally I think a name reclaim should be part of a regular maintenance. Even if it's yearly. Announce it a year in advance (IE...Today...with a reminder monthly and DAILY the 2 weeks before the reclaim) and at midnight 12/31/2021, purge any names of any toons that have not been used in the previous 12 months. After that have the purge every 12 months as part of maintenance listed in the TOS, but again only on toons that have not been accessed in 12 months. BTW...purge would not mean delete the character, but add a set 3 digit number or RE(reclaim event) or OLD to the end of the name and then put the old name back in the pool. Names with this at the end are not subject to a 2nd reclaim. People who want to squat on a toon/name would need to pop on 1 day a year and go in on each toon for 1 second to avoid the purge/reclaim. Not an insurmountable task.

I have no dog in this fight...I own no toons with sellable names, and would not change my name on any of my existing toons if 1000's became available. Just saying that there should be a process in place for the function...there should always have been one. Yeah, that means sellers can get their greedy hands on the name vs you...or me. But for the people who care about getting a 'proper' name(and they do exist, just look to this or any other 'name reclaim' thread), it at least makes the ones on long dead accounts available somewhere vs completely unavailable as they are today. Plus it would mean never having to see one of these threads again...so bonus there.
    • Like x 3
  13. TheLaw New Player

This needs to happen somehow and at some point. The devs can work out the details and how people are notified.
    • Like x 2