10-Year Anniversary Name Reclaim?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by ShadowTheHunter, Dec 29, 2020.

1. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

Come on! If not now, when? Mepps has all but confirmed we'd get a name reclaim eventually, but this seems like the perfect opportunity. Please make this happen!
    • Like x 4
  2. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 16
  3. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Counting down to Thread Lock in 10....

• Like x 4
  4. myandria Item Storage

Whaaaa?? Huh? Mepps has not even come close to confirming anything about a name reclaim. "Eventually" = "Don't hold yer breath, pal." "Never say never" = Don't hold yer breath, pal."

And no, now is NOT a good time for something as major as a name reclaim as many people are stressed out with dealing with the pandemic and the after effects of it; keeping things simple until the pandemic is resolved is the best way to go and the stress/complications of a name reclaim is not what players need right now. And no, a name reclaim is not as fast and simple to do as you seem to think it is.

Just sayin'.
    • Like x 7
  5. Ebon Pegasus Master of the Speed Source

Meh. I just found a way around it. The original name for my character was "Black Stallion". It's a character that I'd been working on for years and then was able to be fully realized in City of Heroes. In any case I couldn't use the name so I got creative and named him "Ebon Pegasus" and you know what? It was a great idea! Ebon Pegasus has become a new fully fleshed out character in his own right and it was all because I wasn't able to just lazily transfer my idea to the next. Just my personal experience with the limitations.

My Wife had a issue with her character's name but it had nothing to do with the Name being taken. It actually wasn't allowed to be used due to the censors. Her character's name in City of Heroes was "Flaming Grace" and because "Grace" can be associated with Christian Religions it wasn't allowed. So we did some brainstorming and workshopping and managed to come up with Flaming Saphfire. She also loves the new character now and has developed a unique backstory for her as well.

I'm not saying it would be a bad idea and I'm not really against it or anything, but if what they above poster said about it not being as easy as it sounds I would much rather the limited resources of the Dev Team go towards something that everyone can benefit from not a few people sore about names.

Also to paraphrase Orson Welles:

"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
    • Like x 6
  6. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

I hope there is never a name reclaim. Make something new.
    • Like x 4
  7. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/name-reclaim-event-when.311415/page-5

It can be argued that's it's basically in the cards. He went on to describe how it would work. And in that description, it doesn't appear to be very complicated. Only people who haven't been active for a very long time, possibly years, would be affected. Not to be insensitive to people being affected by the pandemic, but a name reclaim with long inactivity stipulations wouldn't affect them negatively. In fact, it would be fair to say that people finally getting the name they wanted for years in some cases might be a small gift in such a time. As for the workload on the developers, they know better than anyone what it takes. If it's too complex right now, then they won't do it, which is fine. The devs have already heavily implied that they're cooking up something for the anniversary. It just makes sense that this could be included.
    • Like x 2
  8. myandria Item Storage

Umm..
    Hmm..

You are reading too much into Mepps' statement ; all he said was that the devs have noted the request for future planning; it is NO GUARANTEE that it will happen anytime soon, if ever. The only thing to take away from his statement is that the devs are aware of the many requests for a name reclaim. That is it, nothing more. "Future Planning" only means that when they feel they have the time and resources to do it, then they will do it; nothing in the cards here, so no argument.

No need to ask them to do it sooner, as past requests for the devs to do things sooner have only pushed them back further into the future or obscurity as the request(s) never happen.
    • Like x 2
  9. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

It's all up to interpretation. When Mepps wants to be clear that's there's no chance for something to occur, he is. Unfortunately, as we have seen with the many requests to fix PvP. Very clear language is used that there are no plans for that in the foreseeable future. So to me, for him to not only say that it is noted for "future planning" AND give a description of how it could work, there's a chance. A chance, not necessarily a guarantee. Could I be wrong? Of course, I'm no developer. Just a guy with an opinion who was pointing out how much sense it makes for a name reclaim to tie in with the anniversary. I wasn't saying that a name reclaim was even likely to happen right now, just that it should. You think it's not possible or that it can't or shouldn't happen right now; all such opinions are fine. But there are many that want this.
    • Like x 1
  10. NanananananananaBatman New Player

Honestly, the general consensus in this thread at the moment seems to be just you want this (sure there likely may be a few others here and there to your credit but they haven't posted here , but many have posted in opposition and honestly I too think this is a bad idea. Not to join in an antagonizing manner with the voices against you but here is my rationale : I started playing this year and have had no problem coming up with names that weren't taken and I assure you the majority are far from creative . Yes, it can be an irritating thing to know someone got there first but it doesn't entitle you to be able to take that which they registered first due to circumstances beyond your knowledge / based purely on assumption/ your want of something. One could argue the bounty (names) here are trivial but judging by your repeated insistence on them they hold lots of value to you and they might to whoever got them first as well. Just because you want it also possibly years after they came up with it doesn't entitle you to it one bit.

A great example of this is my friend who I got to play again earlier this year who hadn't played since 2012 or so ( he was around when the original cosmic was easy to get apparently) , who was hesitant to start again , but upon seeing his characters were still there after not logging on for roughly 8 years, he was happy to see them , felt a sense of nostalgia and said since his characters were their he'd indeed start playing again. By his tone it seemed he wouldn't have wanted to restart (even though by today's standards he's quite behind and a CR skipping n00b like myself is ahead of him despite his character having the OG cosmic. ) . He also specifically mentioned one part of his nostalgia was getting a specific name for one of his characters back in the day and he remembers how "proud" he was to get it (tbh again it wasn't that great or original of a name and we're good enough friends that he knows I think that lol) but to him it was important.Let's put it like this , if you have an old piece of property (we're on a superhero game - so like an action figure from when you were a kid or something) that hasn't been touched for a few years , does someone get to break in and take it just because they want it , or would you support the government making that legal ?

Furthermore , the parameters and rules and regulations by which something like this would occur sound needlessly complicated , and the fact that something so seemingly petty ( not calling you petty, but the idea itself comes off this way in my opinion) would take priority over an entire style of gameplay like PVP (literally could be interpreted as half the game in a sense as there are 2 phases : PVP and PVE , would reflect extremely poorly on their choice priorities in general should it occur and likely alienate a large portion of the playerbase who would notice by comparison and contrast.
    • Like x 3
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

"Happy ten years of DCUO, now let's yoink some names out from under people!"

Yeah, that'd go over well. :rolleyes:

I'd imagine them using a similar process to the one used last time if a name reclaim comes up, and that included a LOT of advanced warning and messaging to allow lapsed players the chance to save their character names. But with the anniversary event and the day of the anniversary itself happening right after the new year and many of the devs taking vacation time right about now (as they usually do), I don't see them having the time they'd need to properly give that kind of warning/heads-up to lapsed players.

While a reclaim is something that you and others would like to see, those players got to those names first fair and square, and they deserve the opportunity to hold on to those names if they so desire.
    • Like x 3
  12. Fwames Well-Known Player

2021 To Do List:
    Name reclaim
    PVP revamp
    New powers
    Make Artifacts account bound
    Nerf Prec (again)
    Make trolls' peepee big again
    End of the world
    • Like x 1
  13. BumblingB I got better.

When did trolls ever have a biggun?
  14. Fwames Well-Known Player

touché
  15. Mazahs Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  16. TritonD3 Well-Known Player

To the people so vehemently against a name reclaim, I’ve played since Beta and have what I like to think are some pretty desirable names. Never grabbed the names to sell them, only to make alts when the game was alt-friendly. I cancelled my sub and I honestly do not think I will log into the game again unless I see some drastic changes made, which I don’t see happening any time soon. So here’s a list of names that will be unavailable forever unless a name reclaim is done. All on US-PC/PS, the most populated server.

Alley Cat
    Coven
    Wallflower
    Prism
    Minotaur
    Wonder Lad
    Wonder Lass
    Grand Slam
    Azure
    Madame Mirage
    Miss Mermaid
    And others I’m sure I’ve forgotten.
    • Like x 2
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Unless I'm mistaken, deleting a character frees up that character name. So if I'm not wrong, then the only way those character names stay unavailable without a name reclaim event is if you leave those characters intact.
  18. Siramez Well-Known Player

For those who wants a name reclaim...
    [IMG]
    • Like x 7
  19. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

• Like x 1
  20. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Pass
    • Like x 1