Test Discussion Ally: John Stewart

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Cardboard, Mar 29, 2024.

1. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

I don't know how you are seeing this Ally is in a good spot when it makes a marginal to no difference in the damage with it or the power cost reduction.

-Hand Clap>HCx2 into GH>GH Pull repeat
    -Thermochemical Explosion>Thermochemical Detonationx2
    I managed to get 1-2 extra hitcounts in the rotation with JS equipped
    Light ST with JS before and after update
    [IMG]
    Earth AOE with JS before and after update
    [IMG]
    Munitions ST with JS after update
    [IMG]
    all of them either marginal increases or no increases at all. The small buff increase with the slower combo powers like Light and Celestial do not benefit from JS presently. Powersets that can like Munitions and Earth, Rage etc there is NO reason to level JS when you can achieve a similar buff with already existing allies, especially when the power cost reduction is marginal as well.
    • Like x 1
  2. The Nature Troll New Player

Wish Allies lasted longer, we play for the interaction. Also allow allies we get to have a base totem like ambush bug.
    Where is the Joker ally, Killer Croc ally...
    • Like x 1
  3. CGEMINI Well-Known Player

Can’t argue with biased and ignorant people. Can’t trust them when all they do is sabotage the game.
  4. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because there is no way of making him better without changing his effect entirely or risking to buff powersets this ally isnt meant to be for - which i doubt the devs want to do right now.

He's now better than Shazam on top of an added powercost reduction.

Ally damage increases in general have always been very marginal with the exception of Poison Ivy, sitting at roughly 18,5% dmg increase and the 2nd highest damage buff coming from Batman who Laughs with 2,28% damage increase if used with Trans card.

For comparison, Shazam sits at 1,4% if you use your ally perfectly off cooldown, so this ally should effectively have an increase of 2,1%, be much more reliable to activate and have some power regen on top of that.

He's by no means game changing for Light, which is sad, but I dont see a way of tweaking his effect in its current state to only favor those powersets with combo abilities that really need that.

With the recent changes he's the 2nd best overall damage-buff option if you dont count Queen Diana for Tank powersets using Immunity on perfect cooldown.
  5. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

This is why the premise of JS doesn't work as a combo ally, the powersets that actually needed the buff (Light, Celestial, Rage, Atomic) JS doesn't help with the powercost and the buff itself really only impacts AOE rotations as the ST ones are too slow and rely on the burst damage of Hand Clap, PcDL or DLcP, Dreadful Blast, even with a 15s duration.

I am sure a Celestial Powerset Ally is slated at some point so JS, if restricted to Light & Rage could justify a larger power cost reduction percentage and might buff/duration. Light and Rage melee AOE could become top tier, but those are not universal content rotations because of their requirement to be strict melee. Light and Rage Mid Range-Range don't have many present options and Rage might ST again has very little options.

If JS is going to warrant the resources when we can't have the option to fortify it later, it has to have clear viability. Or we might as well keep BWL and Shazam
    • Like x 3
  6. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's now 0,5% stronger than Shazam, or Zod, which buffed our damage by 1,4% total. Do you really think 0,7% damage increase will break the game from now on?
    • Like x 1
  7. CGEMINI Well-Known Player

Yep, they should lock it to only work on Rage and HL and buff it again and move on to the next ally. This is just a waste of time atp.
  8. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Asolutely, although i would restrict Rage to range combos only.

If Rage melee gets buffed significantly, there could be a "dangerous" meta evolving which would make regular players choose rage for the normal content they play over any other powerset, just to struggle even more trying to do ranged damage in the content they're usually struggeling with. So that one should be taken into consideration if included. If only Ranged combos of Rage would get buffed, it would be the perfect solution in my opinion but this will be hard to explain in the small ally description window of JS.
  9. CGEMINI Well-Known Player

That’s a personal problem. Don’t choose powers you don’t like.
  10. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, absolutey, but Rage melee already obliterates regular content and giving it a significant buff to the extent Light actually needs, Rage will become 1,5x as powerful as any ranged option for regualar content if played melee, making many players feel an urge to test it out themself if they get destroyed by it on the scoreboard.
    I'm not sure if you were around when Rage was released and obliterated Nexus because of how strong melee was. A ton of players went rage just to experience it. Granted, it was a new powerset at the time, so that also played a big role, but i dont think its far fetched to assume this could happen again if such a buff exists.
  11. CGEMINI Well-Known Player

But that's all due to a busted supercharge otherwise it wouldn't be doing anything better than HL. That's the devs fault for making berserk overpowered.
  12. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

True. But I wouldnt want be in a Dev position if I had to announce a nerf to Rage SC and release an ally that buffs the powerset again. :D
  13. RTX Well-Known Player

I´m pissed and disappointed. I didn´t said it will break the game, depends on how you define that.

If people start to use iconics instead of their power abilitys and most people use that instead of the power, it will just lack in variety which will make it boring for most of the people.

Plus, i keep seeing people write ******** like "You lost me at Grim" and it won´t be used anymore "blablabla".

Fact is Grim boosts combo powers damage due to applying power interactions without you have to use an additional ability to do it, which would cost time, which would result in less output. Grim also stops Sidekick from eating power, which means that you have an additional ~20k/s on ST for free just the pets, no matter what your stats are, since they have combat rating based output.

And people seem to not have logics or game knowledge, since i keep seeing people testing HL with Grasping Hand etc. while that´s only going to reduce the output of Handclap since you cause additional damage ticks which eat the crit chance you would need for Handclap only.

On top of that people seem to not know that the base power cost determine how strong a combo is, that beeing said there is a difference between 100 base power cost, 200 and 300 (Exceptions are Iconics and the like). If you use a combo which has 200 base power cost its already lower output as it would be with 300.

Example Ram has 200 base power cost, therefore lower damage as a 300 one, if you do Ram/Fan the combo will be 200/300, where fan will give the higher output due to it having 300 base power cost. Knowing that leads to only 1 useful rotation which is Handclap spam, since that would be 300/300/300/300 base power cost, using another combo ability in between only results in lower output due to the lower power cost + more hits which can crit, and crits you only want to happen for handclap.

And obviously im tired of seeing the devs writing the same excuse for years when it comes to power rebalance. It been asked for years ago and still nothing happend, while they could have done it multiple times within the time they had. Meanwhile they add Allys which should or should not balance the powers slightly, which is a slap into the face of 90% of the players who won´t even buy the ally, no matter how strong it is, and that´s what makes me sad. Sure let them increase this ally even more and make 10% or whatever the amount is enjoy the power, however the bigger part of the players can´t even use the power, atleast not in the sense of how it should be.

Im tired of writing the same **** over and over, knowing that they seem to only care about what makes money, while they don´t see that players don´t enjoy the game anymore due to that.

And i also dont wanna debate about this anymore, i´ve said what needed to be said...they won´t do it anyway, therefore i stop wasting my time in giving them feedback.
    • Like x 1
  14. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I snipped the parts i agree with or understand.

As far as I know every damage tick in the game has its own crit chance. It can either crit or not. If you have a 50% crit chance it doesnt mean that if you dont crit on your first hit, the 2nd is guaranteed to crit.

This also shows when testing rotations. The only way Handclap spam back to back would be better than using any other ability would be a faulty ability damage multiplier, but i cant reproduce that.
    You also have to keep Artifacts in mind such as Strategist Card, which is a passive DoT that can activate through any crit. With the knowledge that any hit can crit, means that the more hits, the more crits (in total, not chance).

The only exceptions are damage effects that derive from stat conversion. These cant crit due to tech limitations (Gem of Horus Artifact for example), or pet hits.
    So you cant easily tell that 50 hits did more crits due to less hits, when the other parse was 75 hits with a different loadout but you had a pet out and used a Trans+Strat setup for example.

Although i agree that there was enough time to rebalance the whole game, you have to take into consideration that its a non-profit operation. There is nobody on this planet that thinks: "Oh, i heard Light is now finally as strong as all other powers, lets boot up this bad boy and grind/pay a lot to compensate for their effort". Looking at Nature, I see Ivy has quite a high usage amongst those that stick to the powerset, even if it took some time. This was either because it sounded too good to be true at first and they feared a nerf shortly after release or they simply had to grind for the resources.
    Nature still remains quite the niche powerset due to its slow ramp up time, which isnt optimal for regular content, but its by no means bad - even for regular content.
    If Light gets a similar Ally, I believe it would have a far greater usage by the average player because of its accessibility compared to Nature.

My percentages for players who invested in Ivy or would invest into John Stewart is more at 50-75% when it comes to those that stuck/stick to the powerset for a longer period of time or those that find joy playing with it.

For example, I loved Nature before advanced mechanics came along and never bothered with its dps side since. I did some attempts but it was ultimately not worth the effort compared to the reward.
    Now, I'm playing Nature on one of my characters since Ivy's release and I am still enjoying it greatly.

When it comes to feedback, the forum often feels like its not or very very rarely valued whenever you voice concerns or criticise something for a valid reason, but after all, whats best for us may not be sustainabale for the studio and in the end they always have the last word regardless.
    I have my fair share of similar experiences but also had some positive situations happen over the years. In the end we cant always get what we want, unfortunately.
  15. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Seems like you are just randomly throwing out numbers without proof. Between “about 20k/s” and your claims of extra ticks stealing crits from other areas. This is just simply not true at all. HL has been one of my best powers through its ups and downs.

Grim doesn’t boost damage just by being out. It’s a give and take. What it gives you needs to be better that what you’re sacrificing in order to get the increase damage. Look at celestial, you can set up the PI pretty easily so grim isn’t as valuable. Same with atomic. In regards to HL, the main take away is if you’re able to utilize the extra power regen to use a stronger rotation. Or are you using the same rotation but without setting up a PI? Daze is also a common PI that often gets set up by others depending on the group make up. So what happens there? What art slot is being given up in order to add in grim. Grim on its own is a decent pet at best.
  16. RTX Well-Known Player

Oh man...how hard it must be. Just use sidekick/grim let them attack the target and you see how much they will do, with lower cr they do lower damage, simple as that.

And no you can´t set up PI easily with Celestial, since that would require you to either use the ability for it or the combo which applies PI which results in lower damage as already stated why. I´ve tested it in any possible way, with completely different artifacts for hours over hours. Do the same and you won´t have to ask for numbers and would see on your own. Therefore no matter what other artifact you will use on ST, the damage output is lower as with Grim in combination with Sidekick, if we talk about combo powers.

If we go and use a combo ability like handclap/right tap/heat vision/handclap/right tap/sonic shout and repeat, you probably get better results with Trans/Strat/Ebon due to more hits and no real need of PI, but then we end up with the "variety" i´ve been talking about.

And don´t tell me Ebon doesn´t work out, go and get your power maxed with lair mods and use JS/Cyborg and think about the Chest Mod "Reserve Tank" since the 2% in loss will be easily recovered with the more output you can do for a longer duration and yes it won´t do good in an Alert with 4 DPSes but that would also be the case for Precision clipping, their output is pretty much ~50% once they´re out of power, therefore it obviously should be compared in a normal group with a troller. And if you´re back in solo/duo content you go and exchange ebon.

Test it and you will see.

I dunno where you take that percentages from, but so far after inspecting thousands of players on Live-Servers i rarely see anyone even having a legendary ally. If we would create a statistic based on that, what´s common to do, you end up with like less than 10% who might buy it, minus the ones who are precision based and or other roles.
  17. CGEMINI Well-Known Player

What makes a pi applier stronger than amulet, ebon and trans or ebon, trans and Strat. Grim is not performing more damage than any of these artifacts + a pi applier is marginal increase. +Celestial has the strongest pi applier in the whole game if you don’t want damage loss you would clip it with phase dodge to completely skip the animation or breakout trinket its as simple as that but y’all wouldn’t know that.
  18. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

In 9.9 out of 10 situations Quislet > Grim and running both is only viable in a Source Shard build because you are giving up too many options with just 1 available slot.

19. RTX Well-Known Player

You wouldn´t want to clip it with Phase Dodge, since that would be additional power cost which you would need for the combos. And "Breakout Trinket" has a to long cooldown, PI isn´t applied for that long.

And based on some statements you made before...
    You seem to not know the best combinations or haven´t even tested, otherwise you wouldn´t have asked for these braindead increases.

I can´t see which available option i haven´t tested. And again, show your parsers and what artifacts you use, if that´s better as the combination of Trans/Grim/Ebon with Handclap spam (Is viable and possible now in alert/raid, since the big duration/powercost reduction increase of JS) then i wouldn´t say something, i mean even with the use of Trans/Grim/Quislet in Solo/Duo situations it exceeds other ST combinations. So where am i wrong?
  20. adranita New Player

i have issues to connect on server test, always authentification error... some1 have the same? HOW CAN I SOLVE THAT? ty