Test Discussion Ally: John Stewart

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Cardboard, Mar 29, 2024.

1. Rejchadar Inquisitor

Everything that you wrote is interesting and informative... but all the examples are only about passive effects, but what about the damage of the allies themselves... let's take for example Krypto and Teekl, both deal damage to a single target... but the difference in damage is huge( a situation arises -in which the additional effect will be at least a little useful-tends to zero...), Or John and Shazam... again the difference in damage and the usefulness of the additional effect with a clear bias towards Shazam... Here John deals mediocre single target damage, mediocre multi target damage, additional effect...one of the worst... why choose him as an active ally other than for cosplay?
    • Like x 1
  2. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

BWL has a 20s duration compared to 10s with JS. Yes you can only use 2/4 cards but when the duration is so short on combos for Light and Celestial having 100% uptime for 10s is completely marginal compared to the stat buff or crit buff of BWL. You could give go a step further and say 3/4 cards because the power regen will help just as well for JS. So only 1/4 chance you don't get a beneficial card.
    • Like x 2
  3. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

Confirmed! Powers are unbalanced and allys are a means to try and balance it. Thank you green name.
    • Like x 3
  4. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Which means you’re paying for the fix that power sets should have built into them. …
    • Like x 2
  5. Spood Boost Well-Known Player

Hi farm3rb0b,

I'm curious as to the logic behind this, could you explain your rationale to me further as to why you think it should only trigger off Corps Combos and not all combos, how are valid combos being determined and why? Is it because its John Stewart and is this just a role play lore type conclusion?
  6. Spood Boost Well-Known Player

I share your concern with this approach, it obviously also raises the risk that these allies are likely to be nerfed at a future date, because if they go back and balance powers, allies that were previously used to buff inadequate powers are going to need revision.

I think it's an effective short term approach, but I'm not convinced, personally, that it is the best approach, fixing "powers that suck", by fixing the actual power inadequacy causing it to suck in the first place would always be the better solution or fix.
    • Like x 1
  7. CGEMINI Well-Known Player

So, with this that means you guys are going to release this ally the way it is. What about other powers besides combo powers being able to use it? Is that intended?
  8. Exclusive New Player

Calculator cooldown can be skipped from just swapping trinkets in and out, Stealth /Invis also procs Calc coming in and out of stealth why is that ?
    • Like x 1
  9. ShatteredTank89 New Player

Well Since you guys are Looking at These Ally’s can you look at the Arts as well We can’t get dual Feats cause everyone is Abusing Hecate,Clarion and BOP they are hitting 1.1 million damage so we can’t get Bounty Feats Because Pve Hecate clarion and BOP are one shotting PvP gear if you can just make it affect Adds like the HUD would totally fix the Problem.
  10. Siramez Well-Known Player

i think you also need to consider the rarity of the ally, rares and epics should be basic and easy to use while legendaries should have strong effects. not the other way around. otherwise you're just releasing an legendary ally thats a waste of time and resources because 1. its not strong enough to replace the current "meta" ones and 2. nobody is buying it because of the first reason (besides those who dont care and like the character of course). or you could just scrap the whole rarity system and remove the investment of feeding alliances and ally favours for something else if legendary allies have poor gameplay effects.
    • Like x 1
  11. FluffyCloud99 Committed Player

Why would there be any level of truth to this? There should not be. Its criminal to only make powers viable if they have allies in which alone are hard to level to be competitive.

For someone who has played for 2 years on and off per episode, i myself have 3 level 8 allies and 4 level 6 allies. Most of the time i just forget allies even exist if i am not making a build. To even think about leveling up an ally past 8 i would need to spend real money to do so as leveling them without a membership, destiny tokens, spending cash for favor would take me MONTHS to even level 1 level 8 ally to level 9 for miniscule differences just to have my power viable in content.

With the amount of allies that get released, changed, available, not to mention they are character bound, how the hell do you expect a new player to come into the game, see they need to spend money to make their desired power viable just so they can be at a somewhat reasonable level. Nature for example. Nature might before ivy required strategist card to increase its damage output and even then, strategists did more damage than the actual powerset itself.

We dont want the dumb "Allies to fix under performing powers", its beyond stupid and its clear its a cash grab. We want allies with unique perks to play into a playstyle (or create a new playstyle) that benefit players, not something that is required to put you on the same level as a player with low level allies and a meta power/playstyle.

Fix the damn root of the issue and stop giving powers +20% might buffs just to make it competitive because it lacks strength in the end game. Adjust the base damage of a skill and go from there until it brings things up to a reasonable level. Easier said than done, but locking powers behind a paywall to make them good is dumb af.

Would also like to comment on: "I would say that its moreso if I think a powerset sucks". Instead of seeing what the community say, how they feel about a power, how they have proven time and time again with testing on the test server, multiple test videos on youtube of said power spanning YEARS with minimal change, you are the one to decide if it actually doing badly when everything is shown to be underperforming in the first place? Understandably its harder to say than it is to do, but you are selling us a solution to problems you make and when people see that, they really dont like it. They hate it.
    • Like x 5
  12. Illumin411 Loyal Player

This makes perfect sense. A great example of this was Marvel's Avengers. With the way builds worked in that game, a top endgame build would typically feature anywhere from 5-12 damage or crit % buff perks all ranging from 10%-35% and they all stacked. That resulted in groups of top players beating the hardest boss fight on the hardest difficulty in under 10 seconds while newer players were constantly complaining about feeling weak and underpowered. Towards the end, in attempt to make the game more appealing for newer players, they released an update that MASSIVELY buffed Heroics (similar to supercharges in DCUO). Those of us who were experienced top players and who enjoyed at least some difficulty were not so happy about it.

This notion is why I was suggesting a reasonable might buff increase to 8% or 10% as opposed to some of the other suggestions that were waaaay higher.

This makes sense and I would even say self-evident. At the same time, it isn't really doing anything for anybody, including you and your team, to work on and release an ally that takes the same buff that two existing allies already give and just repackages it in a similar but different dispersal of the same uptime %. That's exactly what John Stewart's DPS passive was when first brought to test. The 10% power reduction to combo abilities at least is a step towards differentiating JS, but it's pretty underwhelming if not negligible.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but based on my experiences I'd say that DPSing with combo powers typically only uses actual combo abilities for 20%-40% of the rotation, making it a 2%-4% power benefit overall. That's just not a figure that's gonna move the needle, not even a bit.

I do want to say it's great to see this kind of transparency and sharing of development process. It's encouraging and truly valued. I'm very much looking forward to more of it in the future. :)
  13. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Utilizing temporary short term solutions while a better long term solution is being worked on or sought after is a standard and typical part of problem solving. Trust me, I echo everyone's sentiments in being disappointed in the lack of a proper balance pass. But discouraging any attempt for them to provide a short term temporary solution or "band-aid" in the mean time is just cutting off the nose to spite the face.

If you go through life with a "Give me everything or give me nothing" attitude....you're gonna have a bad time.

He didn't say whether or not what "he thinks" is based on or includes community feedback or not. You're filling in your own context to his words. Perhaps try asking for more clarification before digging out the pitchfork over something that might not be the case.
  14. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

Oh boy first to use allies to Balance power sets you must first understand which power sets are unbalanced and which are overpowered. Before you make a decision by giving an underperforming power set an ally that an over performing power set can destroy the game with. And frankly I think you missed the boat we're at that exact problem right now so it looks like allies were a fail attempt at balancing the powers. All we're doing here is paying for our stats back there is zero balance being done here absolutely zero and the community knows it just like the failed attempt with artifacts lol should have left CR differential the way it was. but totally understand the clamp brings the game money unfortunately it brings a lot of unhappy players with it
  15. Spood Boost Well-Known Player

I would agree with this if it weren't for the fact these are Legendary allies being utilized to fix power imbalances, if they are short term band aids then these allies need to be blue common allies with a singular passive being used to focus on the fix, not Legendary allies making us pay large sums of money or time built resources for a short term fix.

Players shouldn't be suffering because of an inability to carry out a proper balance fix and if its a short term fix it should be close to free for the player to implement not an ally that represents the most expensive investment.
  16. Illumin411 Loyal Player

That's a fair critique and suggestion. Although I and many others aren't in positions to where we have to pay money to max out Legendary allies. Currently I'm sitting on more than enough ally favor and source marks to max him out for my troll. Though I am considering using him on my Atomic toon's battle-tanking LO and I don't have enough to max him out twice.
    • Like x 1
  17. Spood Boost Well-Known Player

The more characters you run, the more exposure to imbalances you likely experience and the more this type of band aid fix will impact your personal experience.

If band fixes continue with legendary allies you could very quickly run out of ally favor pushing the player towards money expenditure you really shouldn't have to spend.

So yeah if these types of fixes were restricted to common or epic allies it would be a better player experience without looking almost like a deliberate cash grab, which always gets players backs up.
    • Like x 1
  18. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Can't argue with any of that. Even I've said this trend of releasing allies for specific powers is a lose/lose. At the current pace there will be a lot of powers waiting years for their turn. But if they ramp up the pace of ally releases, they'll most certainly be met with a barrage of "cash grab" accusations. Either way, it's not a good look.
    • Like x 1
  19. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Can't argue with any of that. Even I've said this trend of releasing allies for specific powers is a lose/lose. At the current pace there will be a lot of powers waiting years for their turn. But if they ramp up the pace of ally releases, they'll most certainly be met with a barrage of "cash grab" accusations. Either way, it's not a good look.
  20. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So, is this ally meant to balance primarily Light? Or is this what might change now due to feedback?

I'm just asking for further suggestions if these changes would only affect Light and not combo powers/abilities in general.