Producer's Letter - March 2024

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MiguelDaybreak, Mar 25, 2024.

1. MiguelDaybreak Community Relations

PRODUCER’S LETTER – March 2024

WHAT’S NEW? A Studio Update

Hello DC Universe Online! My name is Kenn "Kendricke" White, and I’m the new Lead Producer for DCUO.
    My first couple months were spent split between getting ramped up on our team and priorities as well as getting back into the game (racing my 9-year-old to level 30 on new characters).

I know this update came a bit later than expected. First, I want to emphasize that our team is growing. We’ve brought on a new Creative Director, Al Rivera, and Art Director, Scot Boyd. We're making significant investments in the game’s future, the people who are working on this beloved project, and in DCUO’s overall growth. To put it simply, this is a great time to be a DCUO player.

We value everyone’s commitment, feedback, and patience, and we’re putting that same investment back into our community. To start, we're excited to announce we'll be releasing THREE letters from the leadership team throughout the year. Now, more than ever, it's important to keep you all updated on our plans.

Keep reading to see some of the big things we're bringing to DCUO in 2024 and beyond. What follows are our plans laid out as transparently as possible based what we know or expect to be true – as of right now.

NEWS

If you do not read this whole update, here’s what you need to know:

• DCUO is NOW AVAILABLE with a new PlayStation 5 client! (Xbox X|S is on the way)
    • Episode 47 in May: “Brainiac Returns!” (2 raids!)
    • Episode 48 in November no, wait, SEPTEMBER!!
    FIRST AND FOREMOST:

Let it be known that DC Universe Online is NOW AVAILABLE as a native client on the PlayStation 5! What does this mean? This means you’ll be able to experience your favorite DC MMO on the latest-gen hardware, which comes with powerful performance improvements and PS5 native features to complement it along the way! To get started on your PS5 journey, visit our FAQ or join the conversation on our forums for more details.

A LOOK BACK: Q1 2024 

We’ve already celebrated our 13th Anniversary with the return of the Attack of the Anti-Monitor event, featuring new rewards, free gifts, and even a sweepstakes you can enter to win a 13th Anniversary T-shirt. We shared the love during the Valentine's Day event, Love Conquers All, and introduced the new Total Tool Time Capsule featuring rewards inspired by Red Tool and Harley Quinn. The newest Booster Bundle was released, bringing back the most-needed marketplace convenience items in combination with one-of-a-kind style items, and we’ve wrapped it all up with theSt. Patrick's Day event, Mister Mxyzptlk's Mischief! Keep an eye out for new post-launch styles for Episode 46: Justice League Dark Cursed shortly after!

WHAT’S NEXT: Q2 2024 

Moving into the second quarter of the year, our full attention is on Episode 47.

Brainiac has returned! Seeking to learn from his previous defeats, he's launching an all-out assault on the Earth's ultimate symbols of hope and resistance, the Hall of Justice and the Hall of Doom. With the world hanging in the balance, the Justice League and Lex Luthor's Secret Society are forced to unite their powers and resources to thwart Brainiac's ingeniously malevolent plan.

Here are some screenshots of what’s currently in-development from our environment artists!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

We’re especially pleased to share that the team will wrap up work on our next base, the Sunstone Fortress. This new base (and new base layout) is inspired by Superman's own Fortress of Solitude and includes our first, much-requested outdoor area with a one of a kind view. The base is expected to launch this April in celebration of Superman's anniversary.

[IMG]

We are looking forward to the return of the Spring seasonal event, Springtime. We’re also working on new rewards for Pride, and the Summer seasonal event, Tides of War.

A LOOK AHEAD: THE FUTURE

The later two quarters of the year will be no less eventful. We'll be celebrating the Year of the Dragon, and see the return of Homecoming, Save the Universe, the Fall seasonal event, The Witching Hour, Extra Life, and the Winter seasonal event, Season’s Greedings. 

And just when you thought you’d expect the curtain call to Episode 47: Brainiac Returns – you'd be surprised to hear that we’re moving up Episode 48 to be released sooner rather than later. With our extensive plans to captivate fans with brand new content, more often, we’re ecstatic to announce our roadmap that sets us up for even more thrilling adventures! In fact, Episode 48 is already in pre-production. We will move in new directions, though it is *way* too soon to talk about what Episode 48 will look like, but our goal is to make it as great as and different from any episode that has come before.

CALENDAR

If paragraphs are not your thing, keep your eyes on the calendar roadmaps for all of the latest and greatest that’s to come!
    [IMG]
    • Like x 36
  2. FluffyCloud99 Committed Player

This is what we needed.
    Though i hated the lack off communication about the next gen stuff, it was still pretty bleak in the community and you didn't address ANY of that which to me is not cool.
    I appreciate all the information here and I'm glad there is more content coming sooner than later HOWEVER, one thing i really am not looking forward too is a booster bundle every 3-4months... You have just seen the outrage you've received from the newest bundle and you are pushing even more bundles a year because of it? I dont like that.

Thank you for the letter, it was insightful and it breathed a bit more hope into the game once more, I wish you could keep up this energy and keep this level of communication throughout the year, it would really make the community happy.

Thanks once again :)
    • Like x 14
  3. Ultimus Primus Well-Known Player

Good news to hear. Thank you!
    • Like x 2
  4. Odin EU Level 30

Thank you.
  5. Phys New Player

Whilst I really enjoy this communication, I can’t help but see that the plans for the game seem oddly repetitive.

When are you going to add what we’re all wanting… A Survival Mode playlist with all the old versions to enjoy! ;)
    • Like x 1
  6. Tygerfyre Committed Player

Glad to see the scheduling of new episodes seems to be accelerating. When the old monthly schedule ended, it was with the understanding that we would see 3-4 episodes a year that would contain the same content as the monthly schedule. Over time, that has slowed 2 episodes a year, which is not really enough to keep the game going. Holiday events are nice, but they are not progression.

It's great that you are supporting new consoles, but how about looking at some PC upgrades? There was an HD texture patch that was being worked on years ago, scheduled, and then pulled back and we never heard about it again. Now that you have PS5 out, how about some upgrades for the PC graphics?

I'd also like some QoL improvements. We were getting some for a while, but the UI could use some major work. It's gotten very clumsy to use over the years, as more and more content was squeezed into it.
    • Like x 3
  7. TheSpeedForce New Player

great times ahead
  8. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

This is the kind of information we've been impatiently/patiently waiting for. This says a lot!

And queue the people asking for more free stuff because of the wait lol.
    • Like x 2
  9. TwilightsInferno1701 Level 30

This is amazing! Love to see this game grow! Glad to see so much ahead My only request is some Flash Fam ⚡️
  10. Latino Level 30

I just want to say THANK YOU! This is all I wanted and I'm certain a lot of people wanted from you all; to put our worries at ease!
    #ConfidenceRestored #TakeMyMoney #DCForever
  11. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

It's been said that any major upgrades automatically benefit PC, so no need. :)
  12. Stranger Well-Known Player

No Survival Mode this year? :-(
    And thats alot of booster bundles planed.
    And 2 ally in the entire year haha
  13. Kendricke Lead Producer, DCUO

Well, hello there!

Glad to finally have a chance to drop by and formally introduce myself. Been a whirlwind of a first few months as I got up to speed with the team, the game (again), and jumping right on in to working on everything you see above.

You should see me more now here in the forums and in our discord from time to time.

-Kendricke
    • Like x 22
  14. Atomic Sunset New Player

About the PRIDE gifts, how about an Asexual cape or material?
  15. FireNird007 New Player

Wont lie this is awesome to hear from you, as an Xbox person it's been kinda hoping to hear something was coming hope this news brings people back to the game cause it's been slim pickings... Even if late ty for the update and hope to hearing more from you!
  16. Whoru Level 30

Yes, finally this is what we needed to confirm we have a future and i love to hear that u wanna release the DLC´s faster and ur team is growing. finally i have hope to a great future of the game ty very much.
    • Like x 1
  17. zNot Loyal Player

Signifcant investments - thats what we wanted to hear ! the past half decade it felt like that was clearly not the case. Im so glad we got a new team of leadership you guys seem perfect for dcuo and focusing on content and episodes will bring so MANY people back, i hope we can experience high quality content again like we used to hopefully also with Balance changes to keep the game fair and equal.
  18. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Thank you sir, and welcome!
    • Like x 2
  19. Time Stone Active Player

Well, I'm not impressed to be honest. I welcome the communication anyway.
    2 new episodes (reskinned DC Washington map?) and time capsules again and again (oh and Booster Bundle). Nothing has changed actually. Or are we at the point where we're supposed to be happy about it?
    • Like x 4
  20. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

Is "Year of the Dragon" a new seasonal?
    • Like x 1
  21. zNot Loyal Player

The episode was already in progress before they hired some new staff plus to complain about that is cherrypicking,I rather have quality instance based Raids with engaging mechanics and bosses then a fancy „New“ openworld map.
    • Like x 1