New powers?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Tros, Aug 25, 2023.

1. The Anxient Loyal Player

That's still user error not the power
  2. Illumin411 Loyal Player

A-frickin-men!!!!!
    • Like x 1
  3. thedemonocus Loyal Player

The powers are balanced quite well now, much better than in the past. You can do great dps with any power if you take the time to learn how to use it. I still remember when it was all about AMs and they were fixing 1 power at a time so you had a new flavor of the month power almost every month, now that was unbalanced.
  4. Raven Roth Committed Player

If they created "Power Packs" which add at least 10 new abilities into existing powersets I'd happily buy that, just saying
    • Like x 4
  5. Mr.W Committed Player

I think another huge thing ppl are overlooking is what power feels easier while effective in the support role for end game players. Example: besides being free fire would probably be less used than rage if rage crash didn't exist. Besides being free players may feel its easier to maintain defense by simply popping a shield with ice than maintaining it with earth's Jackhammer or sustaining brick. Celestial & nature would probably be the top healing powers if half of nature's powerset tree weren't supercharges after all the hits to the Supercharge playstyle. Players may also just feel intimidated trying to maintain someone's health through combos.

*suggestion for nature:
    Is it possible to add actual tray abilities that aren't supercharges to it?
  6. Mr.W Committed Player

This, I'm in agreement with the majority of this. I just personally keep AH on my bar b/c I pug a lot & most non-league healers I run into are new to a power they're trying out so I just try to be a good teammate & help them with my Health bar :) lol.
    It's definitely (not) broken or anything & works as intended on both sides though.
    • Like x 1
  7. Random Mind Dedicated Player

I like the idea of Power Packs, but instead of just adding powers from other powersets I would like to see a power pack with iconic powers from Legends characters. Maybe sell a pack of 5 powers for $5 or $10bucks in the Marketplace and you could have different themes maybe, like a hero pack or villain pack or a mega-pack for $15 or $20 depending on how many powers that are included.

I think because the Legends characters' iconic powers are already in the game it would be easier to add to the game than adding a completely new powerset and with a little creativity, Daybreak could monetize them if they want to. When they run out of existing iconic powers, they could add additional iconic powers and maybe occasionally add one as a monthly membership 21 day reward.
    • Like x 1
  8. Dead13 Well-Known Player

am I understand correctly? Mepps is afraid that he will not be able to balance the new superpowers and because of this he does not want to release them? If it's a matter of time, it's been five years, even a turtle would have been able to release at least one superpower by now. Enough analysis, time to get to work.
  9. Dead13 Well-Known Player

am I understand correctly? Mepps is afraid that he will not be able to balance the new superpowers and because of this he does not want to release them? If it's a matter of time, it's been five years, even a turtle would have been able to release at least one superpower by now. Enough analysis, time to get to work.
    • Like x 1
  10. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

[IMG]
  11. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

No, that's not what he said at all.
  12. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

Well, looking back in the years since water came out id gladly trade a new power for the metal, black adam and doomed dc dlcs..
  13. Barakass Level 30

Adding this while making players pay to be entitled to it is very good to scare away the few players still motivated to attend DCUO:D.

Especially today, big MMORPG projects will soon come to the market, so it is better to motivate players to stay and keep the fun of the game than the opposite, although the game has some task of very boring and long activity.
  14. Lucidex Active Player

somewhere else? somewhere else where? all you've been doing so far is release the same type of content doing the same thing over and over and over again, with nothing new but a new OP item and a stupid artifact for whales to throw their money at.
    every update you release something must be broken or bugged, STU was a disaster...what exactly are you doing with your time!!

and what a laughable second reason, you would actually choose NOT to balance a power just because people don't play it? so you're ok with having a broken power that nobody plays and won't fix it? this is honestly sad coming from a community manager.

I guess there is no reason for me to answer your last reason because other players here just proved that you're either lying or don't know anything about the statistics of your own game!
  15. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Yes. That's EXACTLY what he said. How astutely observed. And they say DCUO players are drooling idiots, who make posts in black font on a dark background... :D
  16. Barakass Level 30

Halls of Power Part III

Power heal lantern ! ;)
  17. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Well what do you know looks like I was right and it was unintended
  18. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Always used absorb heat as my go to heal for fire tanking, combined with empowered channeling tacmod. Rage similarly has channel hate (benefit from same tacmod), but it's a much weaker version of it, so you're still forced to lean on a healer, compensate with artifacts and use rage crash, which I hate (ha) with a passion.

As for a new power, i'd go another route, for now.

Rather than adding new powers, i'd like to see all powers be modifiable using skill points. You'd spend skill points to augment abilities to change various elements of how they function. I have a mental laundry list of possibilities and other games have used versions of this to great effect to really customize the play experience with build design. The short version is being able to alter abilities so that they can become channeled, can turn a ranged power into a melee range power (gain damage, lose range, or vice versa), increase power cost but also magnitude, enable supercharge generator functionality, turn single target power into 360 AOE, targeted AOE, conal AOE and likewise turn AOEs into single target, add PI bonuses or applicators to powers that don't have them (where it makes sense), alter how many allies are effected by group powers - and those are just general options. You'd have specific harder changes to certain powers that can change their core functionality in a bigger way.

In line with that would be a rework of 'weapon mastery', which is one of the most lazy, nobody-asked-for designs added to the games that damn near killed weapon gameplay for a good long while. Removing the 'cross weapon' bullcrap and instead 'mastering the weapon' would add several weapon attacks as tray-slottable, might based versions of the same attacks but with greater effects. IE: Unlocking a might based version of brawling's haymaker that adds significant AOE damage on hit, or other effects. You'd still need to have that weapon equipped to use it (though with memory limitations no longer being as severe, even that may not be needed as a requirement), and these abilities would also be modifiable with SP as well. This way, if you really want your character to be using their weapon attacks as opposed to the core power types abilities, these can substitute in various ways (including adding role oriented functions like taunting, heal on hit/health leech or group heal near struck target, power generation boost, debuff, etc) and open up significant build options while existing data is more easily recycled.

Movement tree powers and current iconic powers would also be SP modifiable. This could also mean taking supercharges and nerfing them down so they are scaled to becoming akin to a standard power, which would definitely open up options for self survival assistance by adding some of the self healing and power generation gains from these abilities as standard powers (though with much reduced effect compared to a full on supercharge). That would be one big green light to finally remove the 'roleless buffs' from the game, which was something Jens had wanted to do years ago before so many things got backburnered into oblivion. Would also bring focus back to obtaining SP.

Get that all up and running and then new powers can start to get injected. Either whole new power sets or iconic powers. Remember - the player's powers are exobyte based. The entire premise is that these powers were mimic'd from various meta beings, so having access to more of these powers by expanding the iconic tree was always something that could have been done before. There's quite a number of existing abilities currently only used by NPCs and legends characters that could fill in here. (At that, newer versions of iconic characters have abandoned their legends counterpart movesets almost, if not entirely, and have been showcased, like Wondergirl, to have a full suite of abilities and even PIs at their disposal).
  19. Sollace Well-Known Player

No, it's apparently our fault that there aren't any new powers, "because we don't buy them", but at the same time, they're doing everything they can not to motivate players to buy them.
    Indeed, between the nerves suffered by many powers (very often, even too often, it's always the same ones that are victimised/abandoned by balancing) while the strongest powers are always the same, or even, when basic powers are for some much stronger than a paying power, it inevitably doesn't make you want to buy/change, not to mention when x number of people end up saying "ah no, forget about this power to play it in Might, it's a precision power. ..." inevitably, with all that, it's not much of a seller...

So, all that to say, don't blame the players ;)
    • Like x 1