Why are open world dlcs stat clamped?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by UnboundHeavenlyDemon, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Proxystar #Perception

[IMG]
  2. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

What server are you guys on? I haven’t been playing much at all lately, but I’m off work on holidays all next week, and it being double nth and ally favor drop week, I wouldn’t mind messing around in open worlds helping people get their feats. Or at least start chipping away at them. I’m on PSN, same name in game as here. We only really need a group of 3 or 4 to get them done fairly quickly. Send me pm here or in game.

Imo, the clamp isn’t a bad thing, it just has always been a little off. Right now we are weaker going into open worlds than we were when it was actually relevant content. If I could solo something in 5 minutes when it was relevant, I understand people expecting to be able to do the same now. Then on the other side you have some bounties in places like Themyscira or Legion, the bosses get mowed down too quickly and it is tough to finish the other weekly mission of hitting crystals or statues without doing the bounty loop extra times.
  3. Grim931 Committed Player

That's not what she's saying.

She stated that the most recent tier of EEG has a difference in perceived character power compared to the oldest EG content.

For all we know, this could be accurate if something is off or isn't calculating right. Episode Augments might be to blame for this as well, if they aren't kept or equipped then there would be no bonus, and you'd miss out on a damage increase.

Realistically, these probably shouldn't be needed when they fall out of relevancy or the latest augments should work the same for all EEG content.

Standardize the bonuses, and any of them that are leveled will retain the bonus going backwards into EEG.
    • Like x 4
  4. FreezyPop Well-Known Player

I have a hybrid / tank build that lets me solo most of the T5 bounties reasonably well (shut up, Calculator Bot. No one likes you :p). HOWEVER, while I was grinding feats to get to that point, I found the clamp helpful insofar as the removal of relevancy meant there were usually groups running those bounties on a weekly basis. I had to usually concentrate on hitting bounties / counter feats in the first few days after reset to take the best advantage of those groups, but LFG is still pretty steadily full of either bounty runs or folks spamming one or more of those bounties for feats.

I don’t think folks can just land in a bounty’s lap and one shot them 100 times in a row any more, but I do think the source marks have made those bosses reasonably tempting for end game players that folks without the feats can work with.

Also worth noting: the clamp potentially makes old OP gear useful for making even squishy DPS less squishy. All EEG can potentially stack four OP items (head, neck, face, and back) for max DPS and all support stats simultaneously. In t5 there are various levels where you can potentially add more
    Than that (all of T5 could potentially add legs and belt, JLD and lower can add a shoulder, and Altlantis & Titans gain feet).

This isn’t meant to dismiss challenges but rather to suggest a few strategies that might help OP meet his grinding goal without having to hope for a code
    Change which is unlikely to occur.
  5. Proxystar #Perception

Well then you should be testing and providing meaningful data and comparing apples with apples not bringing an orange to the table and saying "bro this looks different", because "no **** sherlock"...

How about next time Washington drops in to EEG next DLC you actually get active during the testing phase and have a look at comparing it before it actually goes live, there's a constructive idea instead of just sitting here pretending like you're being helpful lol.

As for the augments, here's another idea - stop feeding them in to newer ones, because it's completely idiotic.
  6. Grim931 Committed Player

Should've known better...

It's pretty apparent that you would be stronger in older content and weaker in newer content. How is it apples to oranges if this isn't adding up the way it should?

Yet again, we're starting to move backwards. The minute you go into EEG, you start feeling weaker. Tiffany can prove it, and most of us notice it. That's not at all how it should be. The content itself does not matter, comparing the same content in EG when moved to EEG isn't accurate in this instance. There's something going on with perceived progression, for whatever reason it isn't linear. You should not be stronger in a more recent DLC as opposed to an older one.

You wonder why so many have a problem with it? This is why.

I can't test, so this is all I have to offer. If you don't like it, that's not my problem. Feel free to ignore what I post.

As for the augments, you're need to be right all the time outweighs you're ability to reason correctly... this isn't about feeding them into each other, and that was never brought up in the first place. There's just a lot to keep track of, level, and maintain; and the list just keeps growing with each new DLC. It would be a lot simpler if those bonuses carried through into EEG.
    • Like x 5
  7. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

^This

You can't say "compromise"... They don't believe in it... as they accuse you of not looking for it.
    • Like x 3
  8. Sghoul Well-Known Player

Yes you should have. Certain folks here should just be ignored in these threads. They are not here to contribute. There are surely points to be made on many sides of this. But some folks are not going to provide data or info. They are just here to say No. So focus on debating the actual topics merits and flaws.

I do see the downside of totally opening up the clamp on old content. And from an in world PoV, not all old content makes sense for us to be able to breeze through it. I mean Mantis shouldn't be varying levels of difficult based solely on when the content came out.

Some options: Make the older content scale. Maybe we get to be 1-5 levels above what the normal clamp would be per episode we move past it? this way on a long enough timeline, yes everyone could solo really old content. Or at least the open world part. You could even make the instances different. You either get locked down to the clamp (perhaps better rewards) or freely open (no marks but can still do feats).

Once content is out of the top 3 episodes, it gets reordered based on what the power of the actual characters involved. I mean, most Birds and Batman content would be a breeze to a hero that just helped beat Perpetua. This is more for purists.

Personally I like the idea of having Clamped and Non-clamped options, where the non-clamped limited you to collecting things and feats. Aside from gatekeeping, I don't understand any objections to keeping people from being able to complete feats quicker over time. Who cares if a new players can get a 10 year old feat quicker than originally? They still have the same challenge level on recent content.
    • Like x 3
  9. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

How many times is that going to have to be said in this thread?
    • Like x 2
  10. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

This should be the new religion that should be preached.

That's a big aside.

How many times in this thread will it be said that "Map bosses aren't meant to be solo'd"... or "You just want to easily beat bosses"... just to have someone else (or even the same player) tell you how they can solo map bosses?

Sure. It will take them 20 minutes or so to slowly work a boss down.... but, darn it they did it! They're the bestest!! :rolleyes:

Sure, before the clamp we could have done in a fraction of the time.... but, gosh darn it... It's not meant to be solo'd... except by those who can.

It's just meant to take longer... and, again, only by those who can.
    • Like x 2
  11. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

That’s still not a fair comparison thou. It’s a well known fact that different dlcs have different difficulties. This dlc for example is one of the easiest dlcs released. Go back to wonderverse and that raid gave people so much trouble. Even when flashpoint was the newest dlc players had easier times with flashpoint compared to the wonderverse raid. Comparing things in an easier dlc to something in a harder dlc is not a fair comparison. That’s what is being said that you people keep avoiding.

When wonderverse went from EG to EEG the difficulty in that raid became easier. When legion went into EEG it became easier. When FP went into EEG it became easier. These are not a matter of opinion but a statistical fact. When a dlc goes from EG to EEG out stats get clamped. Then people come out crying saying “look at my stats!! It’s harder now!!” But completely ignore that the enemy stats also get clamped. If an attack would hit you for 10% of your health health the the next day after going into EEG it should be checked for what percent of your health does that same attack do. Instead anti clampers go in and day “I used to do this much damage to them and now I only do this amount” while ignore that they do less damage to you too.

This is why people say to provide actual feedback instead of baseless outburst based purely on emotion.
    • Like x 1
  12. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

Just to prove it already by page 5:

And now....
    I love this one..... The reason that you can't do the thing that's not designed for you to do is because "You're just bad at this game"... meanwhile, we used to be able to do it... but, the game had to be changed because "it wasn't meant to be done that way".
    • Like x 2
  13. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Yes. You were able to do so when they didn’t reward anything because they’re out of relevancy. Now they reward full marks and you expect everyone to be able to solo them? Sorry but that’s ridiculous. It’s a fight meant to be fought by multiple people that’s when it gives 8 marks. I’d a player is skilled enough they can do it with less people or even solo. Look at manbat. It’s an easy (buy long cause of its health) fight. Yet bad players make it harder. Just last week I was soloing it and a bunch of players came and made slowed down the fight because they were bad.

This is a fundamental part of mmos, games, everything. If you expect anything different than that’s a you problem
    • Like x 2
  14. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

Yes.... (and technically not "everyone" - just those who spent the last decade building their character to do so... you know that pesky thing called "progress")

Sorry if I like the "best of both worlds" or "having my cake" in the video games that I choose to play... and more importanly choose to spend my money on.

EDIT:
    And YOU just said YOU SOLO THE BOSSES....
    So, once again, it's all about just having the select few pat themselves on the back for doing the thing that not "everyone" is supposed to do.
    • Like x 2
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

See, here's the fun bit: I did say that bosses are built to be fought by groups. But I've never said it was impossible to solo them. I've always been behind the curve and when I hit Battle for Earth most everyone else had moved on from that, and I hated having that "take down the Sub-Avatar" mission stuck in my journal. So one day I decided to try my hand at soloing a Sub-Avatar and see if I could do it.

I failed. Quite a few times, actually. Slowly but surely, though, I figured it out and managed to learn how to take down two of the three kinds and get the mission cleared. Even made a guide about it here in the forums.

A quick guide on how to solo 2 of the 3 Sub Avatars | DC Universe Online Forums (daybreakgames.com)

But the fights weren't quick or easy. Took time and effort and a LOT of trial and error. Same kind of thing happened recently when I had to do some trial and error in soloing some of the Paradox bosses in Time-Torn Area 51. The bosses are built to be taken on by groups, but with effort and determination (and maybe a little bit of stubbornness LOL) they CAN be soloed. But the days of steamrolling the bosses alone in short order are done. Best to be prepared to put in time and effort if it's something a player wishes to do.
    • Like x 4
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That was never going to be an option, something spelled out pretty clearly by Mepps and other devs. We weren't going to get Marks for boss fights with little to no effort on our part or while the content was essentially trivial to run for those players.

Getting Marks meant we were going to have to put in effort again.
    • Like x 3
  17. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

• Like x 1
  18. Proxystar #Perception

She's literally attempting to put an argument forward about it taking 3 hits to kill some adds versus 6. I mean I'm kinda interested to see her video cause I think it'll be a good laugh, but seriously picking the adds to try and prove something is the height of silly because we're entering the realms of statistical negligible irrelevance. I mean what it takes you 3 hits to kill a tiny add vs 4-6 hits? I mean holy **** talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel. If that's what you're hanging your hat on I suggest you raise the bar.

Let's look at the bounties, you know, something that can be more meaningfully measured, not some pathetic low level adds that are meaningless.

What's easier. Flashpoint Doomsday or Washington Giganta? Flashpoint Black Manta General or Washington Black Manta?

Let's start properly comparing things, looking at adds is the stupidest thing ever, sorry, but it is.

And also you can test, because even if you're on console, you can record some play the day before something gets clamped, then record it the day after then upload it to Youtube, this can also all be done on a console, you can actually put in more effort, but you're choosing not to do so, next time a DLC comes out, put in more effort if you think some level of change is necessary, you'll get more traction that way.

Also as for the augments, not they're not hard at all, you know what content you're in, you can equip the augments, it's not rocket science, don't over complicate it. they're there for a reason.
    • Like x 1
  19. Proxystar #Perception

Don't pretend like it's not the same certain folks running the opposite side of this argument every time either.
    • Like x 1
  20. Proxystar #Perception

Exactly this, these same people come in to these threads every time and just complain and they never ever, ever present any videos or any actual tangible feedback, they just post paragraphs of stuff based on emotions and feelings.
    • Like x 1