40th Episode Free to All

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Mar 30, 2021.

1. RunfromDanger Man Dedicated Player

This is excellent to read.
  2. Stardazer Committed Player

Can we at least wait until they announce more about the membership revamp or benefits for the next DLC before you all start to burn down the village? Like I get it, I'm kind of shocked too, but this is a nice suprise.

What I see here is they have enough revenue to move away from charging for DLCs to making it accessible for everyone, but will provide additional benefits/bonuses to members who are subscribed to make up for it.
    • Like x 6
  3. inferno Loyal Player

Amazon Fury 3 is actually the longest to date, and it did go past 6 months. However, that was during a major revamp to combat. I do agree, though, perhaps his original stretch between episodes is more than Armstrong can bear.

p.s. I am referring to "Stretch" Armstrong who has unbelievably stretchy arms. Not Lance Armtsrong whose stretch of 7 tour de France wins ended up as a disappointing scandal of a true champion resorting to cheating in the end. Sooo.. Umm, yeah.
    • Like x 2
  4. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

I guess you know what's in the upcoming new membership benefits package, then.

I, myself, don't know what's coming, but I see no reason to assume it won't be pleasing.

Perhaps it will suck, but I don't see any reason to rush to conclude that now.

We'll see when they announce the actual plan.

Then, if it's good, at least some folks will be happy, and if it sucks, we can all complain then. You know, as if we actually had a clue as to what's coming, which we will then. And don't now.

I'm just a little wacky in that I like to know what I'm talking about before condemning or praising it.
    • Like x 3
  5. tukuan Devoted Player

Lol, my brother and I tried more than once to tie a stretch-arm strong to two bikes to see how far we could get in either direction. Sad our 7-9 yr old knot tying skills were not up to the task.
  6. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

There's nothing to feel bad about, they already got their moneys worth awhile ago. Lifetime gets paid off in a year or two after purchase. Which is why SOE/DGC only gave the offer a few times, they end up losing money on them over time.
    • Like x 4
  7. Savior Prime Dedicated Player

Ok, since you just announced this.... can you please give us some details on the MAJOR MEMBERSHIP UPDATE?

8. tukuan Devoted Player

One episode that came out more 4+ yrs ago is hardly "now" and even then that's one and only one episode that was six months or more.

However, sure I'll factor in from episode 27
    • Episode:27 - 196 days (about 6.53 months)
    • Episode:28 - 112 days (about 3.73 months)
    • Episode:29 - 56 days (about 1.87 months)
    • Episode:30 - 134 days (about 4.45 months)
    • Episode:31 - 111 days (about 3.7 months)
    • Episode:32 - 113 days (about 3.77 months)
    • Episode:33 - 140 days (about 4.67 months)
    • Episode:34 - 168 days (about 5.6 months)
    • Episode:35 - 84 days (about 2.8 months)
    • Episode:36 - 133 days (about 4.43 months)
    • Episode:37 - 105 days (about 3.5 months)
    • Episode:38 - 85 days (about 2.83 months)
    • Episode:39 - 174 days (about 5.8 months)
    Interestingly enough, at least for me, the average if you took my original range was 123.67 days and if you take from the full range it's 123.92 days or pretty much the same.
    So I'll just stand on my original comment.
    • Like x 2
  9. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

It's not a zero-sum game, Proxy. I have a lifetime membership, but regardless of whether I have lifetime, or was still paying annually or monthly, I have access to all DLCs and so far as I can tell that will continue unchanged for the indefinite future. Nothing is being taken from me. It's that simple.

Stuff that happens to other people is not stuff that happens to me. If my neighbor wins the lottery, I remain neither richer nor poorer.

Now, if your argument is that the new membership benefits (TBD, it's clear from Mepps' later comment) are guaranteed to suck (™) and not provide enough new benefits for people to want to continue to pay for memberships, I'd ask what facts-in-evidence you're basing your conclusion on.

Me, I have no problem waiting to see what the benefits will be before I start making noise about what I think of them. I don't know any reason to conclude at present that the future benefits will suck (™).

It seems clear that Mepps will be soliciting ideas for what benefits should change to. Why not, you know, make suggestions, rather than being upset with zero facts as yet to be upset about?

Then, after we've all made our suggestions and had our discussions as to what we'd like to see -- and you know as well as I do that there will never be a complete consensus on the forums as to what will be -- and Mepps announces the new policy, THEN we can rationally decide, based on facts, whether we hate it or love it or whatever.

Which part of this is crazy talk?

Digressively, back at the original announcement, Mepps wrote:
    I can't say for any other platforms besides US PC/PS, but we've always gotten only $5. If we've been supposed to have been getting $10, I can submit a back-dated invoice.

Here's a suggestion for a new benefit: make it $20/month in Marketplace credit, rather that $5 (or $10).
    • Like x 4
  10. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I'll concede that. I'm looking at some things from the perspective of how things might be presented by a company. But that's only one point. The other things still stand, even if they're perceived as week or eroded. People presenting things as if there's only two benefits with one just barely so is just as laughable.
    • Like x 1
  11. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Do you really think that Mepps is holding back details on an existing plan, but if you ask nicely, he'll disclose them?

Because it's entirely clear from what Mepps has written that THE NEW PLAN IS YET TO BE DETERMINED AND SUGGESTIONS ARE BEING SOLICITED.

So, how about making some suggestions? Then we can talk about those and other people's suggestions, and see if we can come up with a plan for a new benefits package that works for most of us to be happy to pay for each month or year or whenever.

It's not as if Mepps has a Sekrit Plan being held back from announcement for now because... reasons, after all. It's TBD. So, what benefits would you like to see?

Mepps in announcement:
    And then:
    • Like x 3
  12. GameIsGreat. Well-Known Player

@mepps account bound sp. make that a perk.
    • Like x 2
  13. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Huh? That's exactly what Mepps said they will be doing. WTF?

This is the point I don't get: how can people be complaining about a new and improved memberships benefit package being announced, especially when they have no idea what will be in it?
  14. DCspawn87 Well-Known Player

Open source marks for members? That would be a game changer and I’m sure it would boost membership sales by an exponential amount.
  15. SilkyPawz Bunny

Just WOW all of you all arguing with one another, why? I want to say can't we all get along but that's asking for to much. Everyone that means Everyone is entitled to Their own opinion many of you will not like what the other person has to say, but we all in some shape or form pay money into this game, it's like we buy something it breaks or is defective you have the right to complain or express your disappointment.

My Lifetime cost $299 dollars 2 years ago No I have not gotten back what I paid in yet as some have said.

Not sure if you remember either the Brazilian players only paid $5 dollars a month for 6 to 7 years till last year finally the devs realized how long it was going on and made the changes we lost many BR players due to this. Also a few months prior to that changes to Canadian pricing changed all these people expressed their grievances as they were entitled to.

Did you all not read EG7 sale Daybreak alone made 26 Million, which brings me to how many of you Complained about the Legion Episode with that much income can we all not agree that we all should have gotten a better DLC?

I think this all could have been handled a lot better given some teasers about membership perks but how many times have we been promised or told one thing where it didn't pan out how can the devs announce something then be so Vague about it.

I don't know what the membership perks will be none of us do? What if they hike up the membership fees? will you all come back here then and complain you all know when they give something there is always a Catch always.

I hope that maybe this free episode at least some of my older BR friends see this and come back to the game even if for 1 DLC.

How about instead of attacking one another we all look to the Devs and how this was presented to the community and all work together.

Thank you...gets off my Bunny podium, carry on :D
    • Like x 7
  16. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The "$10 in currency grants" Mepps is referring to is the 150 Replay Badges (Marketplace value of $5 for that amount for non-members) and the 500 Loyalty points (PS and i'm assuming Xbox & Switch)/500 Daybreak Cash for PC players...valued at $5 as well.
    • Like x 2
  17. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Actually, they won't even break even until July 2021.
  18. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Because it's not here yet, and won't be for many months still. In the meantime, subscribers just lost one of the main reasons to subscribe.

If the devs give subscribers something extra at the release of the episode, it's something different. What you're talking about is coming nearer to the end of the episode's life, if it comes at all.

"We absolutely understand that access to all episodes is an important part of the value of Membership, and that this will be accounted for in our Membership update if we continue in this direction."

Edit: Just wanted to emphasize that I think giving subs something tangible right now, at the beginning of the episode's launch, is probably a reasonable and good way to approach this situation and show appreciation for their support. Perhaps the devs could calculate the normal purchase cost of the episode in question. $10? It doesn't seem like too much to give subscribers only a one-time gift of 10 stabilizers (or 20 if you really want happy subscribers over the 4-month life of the episode) as an immediate, free, and easy to implement PR measure.
    • Like x 1
  19. Proxystar #Perception

Im not suggesting that there aren't other membership perks, I'm also not suggesting that somehow other episodes we retain access to are irrelevant, despite the fact to many players they hold diminished value, even moreso given open episodes.

In addition to open episodes, making all episodes free moving forward is taking something away from members, in addition to meaning premium players no longer have to pay at all either and making it all free.

That's just objectively factual because all perks regardless of magnitude are incorporated in the price, suggesting the value is there regardless because we get $10 worth of stipends is really not the point.

My point is that it's disappointing that they chose to release this before having at least some idea of what they were planning to do with memberships. Im quite prepared to have a reasonable discussion when the time comes about membership benefits, but I'm not going to feel bad for expressing disappointment regarding the fact I think the communication about membership benefits could have been quicker, Mepps himself expressed within this very thread the merit in that position, I am however also not unreasonable, I'm not by any means threatening to cancel my membership or anything like that, don't mistake my expression if disappointment as some form of irrational anger lol.

Like I said in my very first post, I understand what's being done here and why but personally I hold the view they've always given away to much if this game for free, it's the devs prerogative to do so, of course but we don't all have to agree, I appreciate your position differs.
    • Like x 2
  20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

For years now people have complained to or outright berated Mepps and the whole company for their silence on future plans. Since last year people have been begging and pleading with them to give us a 'hint' of their future plans. And in most of those threads i've told people "if they give us a hint people won't be satisfied with that, or they'll call them out on 'undelivered' promises"...and I usually get told to shut up or that they'd rather have a nugget of news than nothing at all.

Here we are with Mepps giving us a hint of something to come that is not fully formed yet and he's getting roasted. And then people wonder why they've been radio silent until things are damn near ready to drop?!!? :rolleyes:
    • Like x 4