How much do you care about stat points in this era of dcuo?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by gemii, Feb 27, 2020.

1. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

That's the way it is. What was proposed in the past and is rearing its ugly head again in 2020 is something greater than an edge...and as you pointed out it puts new and returning players at a very ugly disadvantage that makes the prospect of playing this game even more daunting than it is now.
    • Like x 1
  2. hoaxone Committed Player

I'm here again in a skillpoint thread to tell everyone...

One of the tanks to get to round 9 on the original survival mode, only had 50 skillpoints. They have never meant more then skill or power. Now include artifacts.
  3. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Generally this is correct although the cap raising by 10 each DLC is the way the static stats "scale" up. But yes, if a stat can't be maxed, there are greatly diminishing returns to the point where it's not worth putting any sp in to a stat over 100 if you can't max it and one literally needs to the the max sp to have the option of maxing two stat categories.

For Might DPS this is absolutely true unless they're running tetrahedron. However, for healers and trolls that 100sp in might/power is pretty huge, particularly if it allows for a player to spec hybrid instead of superpowered as those 5% stat boosts from hybrid are pretty big. For tanks, Dom, Health and Resto are all pretty significant (the order of which depending on power and to lesser degree, playstyle). Even for a non-fire tank, 100sp in resto is big as it's gonna strengthen shields by 4%-5% and boost self heals, including mystic 7 heals, by 10% (with exception to dom based self healing mechanics).
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

More often than not, I usually don't think much of them until/unless I reach six or more on a character. For some reason I decided I liked spending them when I reached 5 and I like to have at least one point more than that before I do spend any points.

Just a personal idiosyncrasy of mine. :D

Beyond that I get a bigger stat boost when I get gear, so while it's nice to get some extra from SP it's not an overriding priority for me.
  5. gemii Dedicated Player

I have been playing since bombshell paradox so that’s like T8 or T7 idk can’t remember but there will always be a huge gap. This isn’t a game that has a fresh new start every year. So if you’ve been playing long enough you already have a big advantage until a new player puts the time in to build their player up and grind.

Your telling me it’s not possible to make skill points feel more meaningful for players who are dedicated and have put in hours of grinding and money over the years to get feats? But it’s ok to have new artifacts every 3 months and make them purposely better than the old ones to get you to spend hundreds of dollars on it. You can probably buy 3 new games with the money spent on artifacts

I didn’t say in the initial post their should be a some kind of game changing advantage I just said offer something more than a slight buff in stats to those who have been loyal and put the work in over the years.

What would be the issue with something like every 100 skill points earned something special is unlocked. Heck even special styles lol something anything not just a new a sp to plug into a stat you’ll barely recognize when you play

The game refuses to evolve unless their is a money machine behind it.
    • Like x 1
  6. Quantum Rising Committed Player

Skill points matter. They always have. Some people just want them to matter more. Some people want 400 skill points to make them twice as strong as someone with 200 skill points.

THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Why? Balance. Pure and simple. It would be impossible to balance a game, in which you'd have to make it where a toon that was sitting at 290 CR and 200 skill points versus someone at 290 CR and 400 skill points be challenged in the same content.

Imho it's a silly train of thought in the current game iteration. Like it or not this game now has 3 ways of 'leveling' up. One is the mandatory CR leveling, next is the skill point leveling and then finally artifact/augment leveling.

By trying to implement a progression system based heavily on skill points, and most importantly to keep it balanced, the devs would have to implement a system similar to what they've done with rewards and CR or something to that effect. " Over 400 skill points then you're too much over the recommended so you won't get all the rewards Only 2 marks for you instead of 6." Etc. Etc.

By skewing the power/strength factor to sp in content imagine trying to make current content challenging for the "average" skill points level for that particular content... Let's take the usual consensus that skill points should be around your CR... So 290 CR should have 290 sp. By making the 290 CR required content challenging for 290 sp toons how can anyone expect someone with say 290 CR 150 sp even attempt that content? Imagine trying to balance a raid with 8 people at 290 sp versus 8 people at 150 so IN ADDITION to balancing it for the ACTUAL CR requirement.

Balancing a game on all 3 levels of "leveling" that exists would be impossible.

As it currently stands

CR: leveling is the required leveling system and as such will always have the most impact on 'performance' because it's required to get people into content. It's the easiest way DB can control balance.

Artifacts/augment leveling is the monetized leveling method. This will have more of an impact because it is monetized and thus paying DB's bills. By having artifacts and augments matter it creates incentive to spend money to boost those artifacts and augments. Bottomllibe this is the "pay to win" leveling in this game and considering it probably makes them the second highest amount of money next to time capsules I doubt it's going to change any time soon.

Skill points leveling is and always will be the "cherry on the cake". To make it otherwise would introduce balancing issues that would dig the devs in the hole that AM caused. I think they learned their lesson.
    • Like x 2
  7. Caroline Dedicated Player

You can buy skill points by spending money on team capsules or paying for SC that you can use to level up a character up to 255 CR (and even less than that) and get a lot of free skill points from there as well.
  8. Caroline Dedicated Player

Currently I'm at 523 skill points and the max is 525. Pretty much the only feats that I'm missing are couple lpve ones. I don't think that skill points matter, however I do think that they show how well you know the content, how familiar you are with feats, raids, mechanics and so on.

The fact that you've gone through all those instances, have worked on the grindy and/or hard feats shows that you have patience and willingness to eventually work in a team towards other future feats. If I had to pick between a person who's artifacts are 200, but his skill points, skill and survivability are below 0 (talking in a generic way), then that person isn't a good player to me and of course, that's just my opinion.

There's so much that a good player must have and it's not only the numbers. I think I'm a great troll, heal and dps, but when it comes to mechanics, I always know what I have to do and that is because I'm not only there to show how much damage, heals or power I can put in, but I also do the mechanics, I am careful and I always think before doing anything.

Oh, and now that we're talking about artifacts, I just want to add that I went into SM and got round 30 done with 80, 140 and one 200 artifacts. So yeah, even having all of them maxed out, it doesn't make you a good player if you don't know what the hell you're doing.
  9. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

I have to disagree with you on everything you have stated above. Do you know how it makes a person feel that has put 2000+hours or more in this game with 400+ SP only to be out done by someone with far less sp but higher artifacts? It's spit in the face. If you took time out of your life to grind and earn all of your skill points I think it's only fair that you would perform way better than me or anyone who is below that. If I have 400+ sp and someone else has 200 sp but they can catch up or surpass me because of artifacts...that is PAY TO WIN.

That is not balance at all. When Artifacts came into account balance has left the chat. Stop trying to justify that this is acceptable. I personally can't fathom how people like you don't see the actual issue in this?

Our SP is so irrelevant at the moment that it makes ALL of our hard work gathering them in the past or present almost pointless. For you to sit here and say that it's because of balance is doing nothing but telling people who worked hard for their SP "tough luck, your hard work doesn't matter."

And what's even worse is the fact that a lot of those SP Feats were a chore to get so imagine if someone who didn't put in nowhere near as much play time pulling out their parents credit card and blowing past you in content?

This was a HUGE MISTAKE by the dev team and I still stand by getting rid of Artifacts.
    • Like x 2
  10. thedemonocus Loyal Player

Skill points were intended to give you an edge that's all and they do. You are not supposed to be able to lord over other players who have less. Knowing how this community can be the devs are right in how they handle sp,if they caved to people like you than new players would stand no chance in this game and most would quit. Its still worth it to get sp and your hard work DOES matter just don't expect to be a god when you do just enjoy the edge you have and stop worrying about being #1 on a scoreboard people see for 2 sec before they leave. The game is supposed to be about teamwork not who beat who in dps.
    • Like x 2
  11. Quantum Rising Committed Player

And you have every right to do that... But here's the thing. People have been asking for "skill points to matter" since year one. So we all know by now how skill points factor into this game. The fact you chose to put time into that is your decision. But your beliefs would only likely unbalance the game and cause another AM situation.

Skill points do matter, just not to the extent YOU want them to. If I can get into a raid with you with 150 sp and you're sitting at 350 if you can't beat the $#!+ outta me on the scoreboard that's on your skill level or build.

And if course this game is PTW. That became obvious the moment artifacts came into existence. They're not gonna go away so I'm not sure what you're expecting from them. Change it so they make less money? Doubtful.
    • Like x 1
  12. Pinky Well-Known Player

Skill points don't matter. Neither do artifacts.

The only thing which matters is gear.

Just use some common sense. Stats matter - and the majority of them are provided on your gear.

Artifacts contribute about 5% to stats and adds some other effect which has around 10-15% at most of our character's power.

Skill points contribute to your stats, but only the first 100 matters for your role.

If you want people to 'feel good' about your character - just level up your role artifacts to 80 to show people you 'care'.

If you want people to 'feel good' about your contribution to raids - just get about 200 skill points for your character.

Play the game your way, and have fun.
    • Like x 2
  13. Miss Adora Loyal Player

sps hasn't matter for years, or ever. It always came down to what power you play. A weak power is still a weak power.
  14. Batrederik Dedicated Player

The max is 510 sp I think or so. . This topic has come up in a variety of threads over and over again here, and stat points.. These include stat innates for crits and much more. + stat points are keys that can open many doors. just so you know.

And what'd you say about stat points, artifacts was again? :confused: "*god status*" ... So,... stat poins to have some *extra might/power if you play support* ? - What? stat points and extra might/power for support, ain't that easy.
    - But really, the Stat poins for support, ^ ^ ? Hmm ^ ...... Never knew it was that easy ^. But, I suppose.

hehe ^, All this sounds peculiar Gemii.

15. Quantum Rising Committed Player

Lol. This... times 1000.

A mental with 400+ sp would still get their butt handed to them on the scoreboard by a 200 munitions.
  16. That1DarkKnight Active Player

Artifacts matter way more in PvE than stat points, but odds are if you have high rank artifact you are the type of person that's got a decent amount stat points anyways. The most important thing though is probably knowing mechanics and learning to survive. People not knowing mechanics and/or not reacting to them is probably the biggest reason one would fail in PvE.
    • Like x 1
  17. DemonLordMomo New Player

Artifacts are indeed way superior than skill points. The real question I have though is why doesn't each artifact have the same stats? For example, dps arts- Might arts: 3% health, 3 or 4% power, and 4 or 5% might. Prec arts: 3% health, 3 or 4% power, 4 or 5% prec. I think that you'll all understand what I'm saying. That way arts will purely just be for specific abilities. All role arts will have the same stats pertaining to their role. Dom, might, prec, Vit, Resto.
  18. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The stats are there to compensate for weaker/stronger Artifact effects.
  19. Balton hero Committed Player

They should make sp matter more. I don't care about new players "suffering" because of it. Tough. Don't skip crs then. Run the older content with the other new users to get your sp. You don't HAVE to start the game near endgame and rush to endgame; in fact, you're missing out on so much of what the game offers by doing so AND saddling endgame groups with players that don't know what they're doing.
    • Like x 2
  20. DemonLordMomo New Player

That's all? Thats a bummer. I think it would've been a little interesting that way.