Is this game under risk of dying?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Velaethia, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Sivulla Dedicated Player

Technically everything is in the risk of dying.
    • Like x 2
  2. SkullGang Devoted Player

Give it another 2 or so years and we will have "that" email in our inboxes.
    • Like x 1
  3. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

I always hoped DCUO would give us a Restuss.
    • Like x 1
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Ugh, Restuss. The destruction event on Bloodfin ended up crashing the server. :confused:

I will admit this: even though PvP has never really been my thing, Restuss did provide some fun moments for me. Watching a group of players run after a Spy who had been hit with Paint Target before he went into stealth was hugely funny. :D Plus I managed to find a nice high spot in the ruins that allowed me to play sniper with the free-targeting Commando heavy weapons, effectively raining fire down on opposing players who might go after one particular control switch.
    • Like x 1
  5. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

I’m not going to sit here and try to get likes or beat around the bush like most of the people here in this comment section. Because of lack of proper PvP content and player engagement this game doesn’t have much longer. No mmo I know is complete without a well done PvP option. This game now lacks this but it once used to have it in the past. New dev team or new ownership has caused the game we once loved for certain reasons, to go in a vastly different direction. Again, a lot of the people on these forums kiss buttcheeks for “notice me senpai” status, but the truth is that this game was once the definition of “greatness” but now it’s just “meh” at best. Sure, I enjoy certain things that brings back memories but PvP was my favorite thing about the game when PvP gear was relevant. I personally predict that 2021 will be DCUO’s website message of “thanks to all our supporters....blah, blah, blah” and then we see the date of all the serves closing. This game without proper PvP and PvP content just has no more to give to certain players.

Hopefully that’s an answer you were looking for?
    • Like x 2
  6. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

I played on bloodfin for a minute. Was mostly on Tarq tho, and was gone shortly after the player housing destruction event. I could spend all day in Resty, or a Resty-like area. Use CC, who already have the bouncers, call it Flash Wars, and make some strong NPCs to interact with for rank points. They could make ranks level like artifacts (without the p2w aspect) and add team buffs like artifacts do or trinkets etc. 80-100% of these systems already exist in game. Now smash em togeher and give people something new to grind.
    • Like x 1
  7. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

In other words: I don't like this game as much as I used to and because this specific feature I love is broken, the game is not as good as it can be and it's going to cause its downfall. My answer is not emotionally driven at all but I hope it will elicit some out of you as well!

Fam you have PVP Sentimentalist all over your face. You're not even trying to argue if it's the main cause of player loss or no newbies because DCUO is lacking in this department. But hey, you totally saw the big picture and that the business is not making money off anything m(TT_TT)m Please don't like my comment PVP nostalgics!!!
    • Like x 1
  8. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Try to get that into the heads of the PvP community here. I'm very sure that a huge part of the success of PvP in SWG was that you didn't need "proper preparation" to go into PvP there. Same set of gear etc. made it so easy for players to just casually join PvP that participation was never an issue.... If Daybreak as back then SOE just tried to keep SWG alive as constantly as they do with DCUO with all the sales and special offers etc., that game would by now propably have been shut down by the Mouse. But Daybreak might still be SOE ;)
  9. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

10. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

So you actually think this game is in a good spot the way it is now?
    https://memesbams.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/1-Please-Tell-Me-More-Meme.jpg
  11. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

• Like x 1
  12. Red Batern Well-Known Player

Well said.
  13. Red Batern Well-Known Player

The evidence and statistics in contemporary gaming prove otherwise.

I love irony, so I'll point out the accusations of overly emotionally making a point while hypocritically committing said act itself.

Such an immature and ignorant post.
  14. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

You do realize I'm simply impersonating how she was presenting herself to mock her, rather than actually expressing how I was feeling?
    There's nothing wrong having any kind of emotional investment in anything, but when you're trying to use it as an argument to how a business is failing, it just falls flat.

If you're looking to use PVP as an argument I suggest spinning it as a symptom rather than a cause. Which is the opposite of what she was trying to say.

Oh, I'd love to see statistics and evidence of MMORPG's shutting down simply and only because it's PVP is not good. Please don't bring up games that have PVP as it's core feature because it isn't comparable.

If you had actually gone through the thread and don't find the management issues more troublesome than anything else mentioned, I don't know how unbiased you are at discussing business problems. Or so naive to think that one mistake = everything doomed.

I mean Logan Paul is still up and running.
    • Like x 1
  15. Plowed In Loyal Player

Where’s my compensation for reading this?
    • Like x 3
  16. Eve YouTuber

I honestly starting to believe there are people who just want to shout "Doomsday" at every little thing the developers do like It's the end of everything. The game is doing fine. It could do much better, but It's not dying either. There are people who enjoy it more, and people who enjoy it less. But It's not the end of the world and I don't see the game leaving us anytime soon. A little bit more positivity won't kill y'all.
    Those threads always come when the devs are away, too, for some reason?
    Mepps shared a sneak peek for the next episode, and I'm sure the moment they are back they will share the 2019 news with us.
    • Like x 6
  17. Red Batern Well-Known Player

Yes I know, doesn't make it any less ironic.

No one is spinning anything but you.

You're asking for statistics no one is asking for because the game isn't dying. The TC, nor myself made this claim. However, if you want stats on how profitable PvP is today then just use your head or Google.

I agree the problem is management and not the medium.
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I have to resist going into my whole breakdown of PvP in SWG (pre/post-NGE, etc.) because if I do I think I'll end up derailing the thread a bit. :D

I think your opening sentence kind of sums it up, though, as the PvP community in SWG was something of a different beast. Yes you had the power-gamers and min/max players who would tweak their skills (pre-NGE) every time any combat profession got an update, but the vibe was a little more chill among PvPers in that game. Players here seem to get their noses bent out of shape a little easier and come across as more on the hyper-competitive side than what I saw in SWG.

But as one little possible derailing, I don't know if the house of the mouse was that involved (if at all) with SWG's shutdown. SWG's shutdown was announced and took place in 2011, while Disney's purchase of LucasFilm took place the next year. I don't know about how far along any talks between Lucas and Disney were at the time, but the decision to not renew the license may have been LucasArts' decision.
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The problem is, that evidence may only point to a trend at best, and a fad at worst. Besides, I always take stats with a grain of salt thanks to one of the first things my Probability and Statistics teacher told my class: Never trust statistics, because you can make them say anything you want. :D

Chasing a trend isn't always the best way to help a game, especially with a live-service kind of game like an MMO. The devs have to look at what's best for the game, and if something that's trending doesn't fit the game, what their players are looking to get out of the game or even match up with the information they have available to them about what players are playing then it should be left alone.

Trend chasing is one of the factors that helped bring about the NGE in Star Wars Galaxies, and that alone is reason enough to think twice about chasing what's popular.
  20. Blight KOBRA Commander

Well said.
    • Like x 1