Is this game under risk of dying?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Velaethia, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Velaethia New Player

I've had way to many games I play get shut down... Most recent is wildstar. DCUO does have the benefit of being part of a very popular franchise but that doesn't save it per se either. (SWG).

How is this game doing? Is it of risk of being shut down in the foreseeable future?
  2. Hraesvelg Always Right

All aboard the wild speculation bus! HONK HONK!
    • Like x 14
  3. Velaethia New Player

I just want a yes or no. Not "Wild speculation". That's not helpful. This isn't about conspiracy theories. It's about the obvious.
  4. NaZen76 New Player

I started a year ago and from then till now it "seems" like its much less active. I love the game so im hoping its not but if i had to guess i wouldnt bet on the games population going up.
    • Like x 2
  5. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

No....at least until such a thing is announced. Whether you like the answer or not, the very question invites nothing but speculation. People were saying the game is dead or dying since day one. It gets asked about or speculated on EVERY year...now fast approaching its eighth year. Until the day that it's officially announced that the servers are shutting off for good, this game will keep going. That is as close to a yes/no answer you will ever get on these forums.If you're enjoying the game keep playing, and spend wisely. If you're not enjoying yourself, look elsewhere. Either way, this game is not shutting down until they say so...and since they haven't...party on.
    • Like x 15
  6. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Best answer I could give you Vela is that DCUO is on coasting mode. What I mean by that is that Daybreak within the last year and a half or so has cut back on the depth of the game and solely focused on just trying to stay alive. This has been seen by the Community Manager pretty much saying that PVP does not generate revenue so it won't be address or fixed, Survival Mode (which was for the 1% of the population type players) will not be done anymore because it does not generate enough revenue, and Elite content (harder level content) is often nerfed or released at a less than "Elite" level so that casual players can finish it even though it is suppose to be aimed at the players who enjoyed Survival Mode type gameplay.

So, do I think DCUO is dying? No. However, is it on the track to become a better, more well-rounded game? Definitely not. It is in a coasting mode of trying its damnest to make ends meet so it can stay alive, thus it is highly unlikely we will see changes made to the game that would improve the overall play-ability of the game in the near future because Daybreak does not want to allocate resources to improving the overall play-ability of the game because of money.
    • Like x 10
  7. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

That can depend on region/server and time of day or what flavor of the month game is out. Also, how long a new DLC has been out. At this point, the replay warriors have gotten all their gear and feats and have moved on to other games until the next thing drops.
    • Like x 2
  8. inferno Loyal Player

9. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

This game makes a killing. U bet ur butt the devs are working on it for the ps5 they already have the kit. This game is a superhero game with a combat system like none other. it will always bring u back because nothing else can do it. Its a superhero game which means big players like sony and wb got there fingers all wet for this one and they want ur money forever and ever. So.keep buying and paying for membership that's all they need from u. Ì think this game makes way more money than any other game on the ps4 by a long shot. It's a superhero game dc man it's gonna be here forever.
    • Like x 2
  10. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

When dc stops making movies u should worry
  11. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

About the only answers you can expect to get here are SPECULATION. Unless Mepps or someone else from the Development team that has been "Authorized" to Make an official announcement no on else on the forums, even if they think they know the answer, is doing more than offering a best guess. And a lot of the time even the dev team doesn't really know until it announced. I played City Of Heroes before coming here so I am well aware of NC SOFT and there business practices with games noit making "enough" money for them.. COH was still making enough money to cover expenses but there were no huge profits rolling in and POOF they shut it down... Would not surprise me a bit if they did thew same with Widlstar. Now.. when they came out and pubically informed their customers the game would be shutting down for good in December on December 1st the Dev team was working on a new DLC. So that should give you some idea of how many people that work at DCUO could even give you a good answer let alone the player base.

Best I can tell you without giving you a guess is that fortunately IF you are subscribing is you can set it up so you pay by the month. If in fact the game does close up the absolute worst you'd be out is $15.00. And the chances are we'd get enough warning that you probably would not lose anything. Now if you are worried about investing your time and effort into learning the game, growing to love it and then having them shut it down.. YOU need to decide for yourself what to do. You could get 2, 3 , or even more years in here or six months from now the servers could go off for good. Hope that helps a bit. Good luck
    • Like x 2
  12. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

Or in economic terms, DCUO is at its recession stage of the business cycle.
  13. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

1. Being a superhero game does not make it immune to any closure. Just look at Marvel Heroes and Infinity Crisis.
    2. The game is now running by Daybreak, which is not part of Sony. WB only receives the license fee and gives approvals, so they don't need to care much about how the game is actually performing as long as they get paid. Which means Daybreak is doing the heavy lifting here, and as we all know the scale of the production...
    I'm not saying DCUO is close to its death, or that you shouldn't financially support it because it won't worth it, but your reasons for its business status are simply misguided at its core.

btw even if DC stops making movies it won't bother DCUO much, they'd simply need to care less about chasing trends.
    • Like x 3
  14. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

I think DCUO is in an okay spot, not good, but not bad either. The game's been going on for almost full 8 years now. 2019 will be DCUO's 8th anniversary.

If you want to know if DCUO is under risk of dying, to put it simply, you won't get that answer. You will get speculation either from folks who defend this game, or folks who have grievances with the game.

Make the decision for yourself, that's the best you can do.
    • Like x 5
  15. Ringz Dedicated Player

lol.

Just don't be one of those folks who accidentally put down $500 on loot boxes.
    • Like x 1
  16. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

How does that happen accidentally??? o_O:confused:
    • Like x 3
  17. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

In the news yesterday; it was said that the company that makes Fortnite had a $3 Billion profit.
    And we know that Daybreak raked in $1.2 Mil on Subs alone.
    If they design their games well; there's a lot more to be made.
    There's a lot of dough that can be made in PVP.
    Daybreak is ignoring it. Many players do play PVP; just not here.
  18. Xibo Loyal Player

• Like x 2
  19. Kuno Loyal Player

I would be surprised if the game makes it further 2020, with all honesty. For 2019 I guess we are safe. The thing is that they are not focused in relaunch, advertising, graphical / engine upgrades or making big revamps and systems to keep the game content that fresh and current to gain new players.

It's all about milking the current population to the extreme: seasonal marks, time capsules, replays, now artifacts... but I have yet to see a big envestiment of that money in making the game BETTER (Atlantis aside, that was a really nice surprise).

DCUO strong points are that we have years worth of content and the license.

If your question is regarding lifetime suscription, I dont think it's worthy if you only play DCUO like me. I thought about it but its too expensive for a game that probably will be in maintenaince mode in 1 or 2 years if we keep going this way.
    And I'm surprised they havent shared future plans for 2019 (yet) considering the lifetime offer. I'm not paying years worth of membership for a 8 years old game when we know nada about new stuff coming.
    • Like x 2
  20. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

• Like x 2