Underperforming powers - Let's talk

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Rubsarb, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Working as intended.
    • Like x 1
  2. VioletSorceress Committed Player

The way things are now, Weapon Expert only works with Weapon mastery cross weapon combos.
    Weapon clipping (true hybrid) is sub par damage and is not worth playing.

If you use Weapon clipping you pretty much need to max out both Precision and Might (since your damage comes from 2 sources) to be on par with PftT guy who maximized just his Might stat. What used to be best playstyle 1 week before revamp went Live is now the worst one and most SP demanding play style.

Also, fully speccing 1 weapon for all melee and ranged cross weapon combos requires about 28 SP. That is something extra you need to have beside maxing at least Precision stat in SP while using Weapon Expert. Players starting the game are basically forced into PftT style and long long way from being able to successfully using anything weapon based.
    • Like x 2
  3. xXHeadlinerXx Dedicated Player

:(

Dang man. At least lie to me a little bit. Like that one guy who can't say anything specific about mental but has the allegedly OP rotation that slays everything.
    • Like x 2
  4. Mighty Committed Player

This makes literally no sense.

As did this.

I guarantee you that if you get in and do some spinning punches, some smoke bombs, some flip slashes, etc. and clip them with abilities, that will yield better damage than clipping, say, solar flame, same abilities, and for some powers -- sorcery in particular -- if you want to dip into some competitive, melee-level damage, you need to walk up close and do this. The days of getting melee damage at not melee range are over. This is the era of grown-***-man melee. The risk/reward is still there, but you need a weapon, or you need a combo power with a melee rotation.

Y'all hate it when we say it, or insinuate it, but just for your own understanding and enjoyment of the game, no egos involved, you are not playing sorcery correctly. You two in particular have been corrected multiple times by Crappy, myself, and others. You continue to chose a pftt sorcery style, or a no-fury, no-projectiles style, and then blame the power for underperforming. I'm telling you here and now, it's not the power. It's how you're playing it.

Get as upset and offended with me as you want, whatever. I just know that if it was me, and I loved that power and wanted to be that power and do well with that power, eventually I would stop arguing, own it, and start listening. Completely your choice, just don't act like your power is broke, or act like Crappy and I broke it on purpose by giving misleading feedback, when it is in fact not broken, and your own choices are driving down your outcomes.
    • Like x 1
  5. Mighty Committed Player

Lol gotta be honest so we can get it some love. Mental was my original power, played it for years pre-GU36, and it sucks to see it in its current shape. Really, personally, I hate everything that was done to it during the WM/AM era. I'd love to see it go back to being the controller dot power, back when mass terror had that big up-front burst, and then great AOE dot, and you'd stack it with some thought bubble and some pyro and phantom flames. Clip in a menace with handblaster or rifle clips inbetween. It's just so confused now. The PI converter thing plays clunky. The dazed vs. terror PI dichotomy has always screwed it (should just be all terrorized). It's like you're constantly just setting up with mental for a big hit that never comes. Hate it. Dots, please. The double PI deal needs to go.
    • Like x 1
  6. Mighty Committed Player

Lol. Let's unpack this.

1. "You are a hypocrite of the highest order."
    We're all hypocrites sometime.

2. "You tell sorcery dps to use melee combos while you admit you like standing as far back as possible and spam powers."

You misunderstand me. I like to stand in the back and do dps. I would prefer if the game played more like that (as it did in Origin Crisis) than everyone crowd the tank because melee damage dramatically outshines ranged damage (which was the case in AM/WM). I still melee. I melee hallways, I melee most bosses in reg except Grundy and US. When I say "if you want that competive, melee DPS" I mean that if you want to do melee-level damage, you should move up, just like everyone else. I don't, to be honest, understand how this has been so critically and frequently misconstrued by you, but oh well. I'm talking apples to apples, oranges to oranges here. Not apples vs. oranges. That would be silly.

3. "You admit you like no risk, but you will tell sorcery dps to take risk for their damage."

Again, lots of weird conflation going on here. I don't like risk in general because I'm a human being. People, as per their very nature, would like less risk and more reward as opposed to the other way around. I think what you're trying to recall is me bemoaning having to get up and point blank melee stuff with hard light to keep up with people standing further away (Tunso melee), all of us of course in the tank's kitchen because melee just about doubled range damage in the AM days. I like that I don't have to be up in there to do well now. That said, if I want melee-level damage, I have to go up and melee, same as everyone else, even sorcery.

4. "You want skill to count for sorcery dps, but not HL. Crappy want skill in sorcery dps but not nature or electric."

This is half true. I want skill to count for something in all DPS. Especially HL. That's why I'm so dead-set opposed to going back to light's infinite combo AM, unlike some folks. I even got myself banned arguing against it. I've said countless times in countless places, the skill ceiling for DPS needs to return. And to a degree it really has (it'd be amazing to get jump cancelling back, but I'll pick my battles there).

5. "You just lost all credibility with your post the last few days. My post made sense."

Yeah I mean, respectfully, no. There's definitely a cohort of people - you're quite familiar with them - who think all I do is attack and get triggered and bully, and I'd challenge any levelheaded reader to go back and assess my posts in this thread where I'm really trying to educate and inform and dispel some misbeliefs. My comments were met pretty quickly with, I won't say overt hostility, but definitely some aggression and some snark, up until you started directly attacking me and calling me a hypocrite and trying to insinuate that I'm trying to screw some powers over by making my favorite easier (which, as anyone who knows or has followed me the past few years knows is laughably untrue). I'm sure I'll catch hell over these comments too, and you can chose to either keep arguing with me or listen to me and try and learn something. Ultimately it's your call.
    • Like x 3
  7. Mighty Committed Player

HL does not do the same damage melee that it does at full range. It does about 2-3k dps more at melee using my melee combo which puts it in the same neighborhood as rage or atomic melee. To be in that same neighborhood, sorcery also needs to get up close and melee. If a sorcery dps melees and a hl dps ranges, the sorcery dps will out-damage the HL DPS. The inverse is also true. Honestly, I feel like something is missing in translation here. Honest and earnest question, is English your native language? I feel like you are not understanding what I'm saying and I do not know how to be clearer.
    • Like x 1
  8. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

But I thought all 3 playstyles were intended to be balanced
    • Like x 4
  9. The_fair_1 Committed Player

Rn the primary underperforming powers are sorcery and mental, both have potential to barely hit benchmark. Sorcery hitting benchmark is meleeing and Mental's is wherever you want to stand. The difference is sorcery is a little more than mental at melee which is whereMighty's argument comes in. It is true sorcery can beat mental but the amount of risk vs reward in comparison isn't worth it
  10. MC900FTSPODE New Player

Stats has killed my joy for playing this game. Ice DPS sucks now. Cool downs are a joke. Re-did my entire loadout and it still sucks. Used to be top dps or near the top. Now, at CR 200, it's all I can do to beat a 194. Perhaps it's my fault for not liking PVP and only having 200 SPs, but some of us don't get joy in chasing feats constantly. We just want to play the game and only have a limited amount of game time each day. Also, what's the difference between having a high CR or hunting skill points? You have to still spend a lot of time on both. Really unhappy with this update. At least, fix cool downs.
    • Like x 1
  11. Xibo Loyal Player

Probably this loadout can help you

12. MC900FTSPODE New Player

13. KeeblerElf Well-Known Player

The difference between skill points and cr well you can grind a toon up to end game cr in less than a week with ease and limited game time you cant do that with skillpoints. With that being said skillpoints arent as hard as people make them out to be.

if you chase cr you can skip content and still reach max cr
    if you chase skillpoints your not allowed to skip content you need to hit each content for its styles and individual feats

so who deserves to have the advantage the player who went through each piece of content learned the mechanics of the feats and got them whilist still using replays to farm marks and styles
    or
    the guys who skipped multiple tiers in content and just got the bear minimum of gear to move towards end game faster

Lets be real here it does not take alot of time to get cr. it does take time to get skillpoints. That being said if you work towards a skillpoint each night you get on whether it be for 30min or 2 hours you can get high skillpoints in a decent amount of time.

I can assure you cooldowns are just fine there is nothing wrong with them. Take time to test out more variations with ice. IF your running a might spec i highly recommend freeze breath(iconic power) frost blast(ice power) and blizzard are essential in your loadout ice is still a good power just need to put more time in testing it and messing with it
    • Like x 2
  14. Apolloin Well-Known Player

Frost blast can actually cause you to lose dps. Spreading your dots and casting arctic gust actually nets you more dps than using frost blast. I've tested it in raids, alerts, and parsed it. Frost blast isn't optimal in my opinion.
  15. xXHeadlinerXx Dedicated Player

I saw the above post and wanted to echo that I, like you, really dislike pvp. And I'm missing a lot of pvp feats. That said I have about half of them, and my advice is for a week tell yourself "I'm going to queue 5 pvp instances today" and just do it. Try to win, but try not to care too much if you lose. Like sometimes you will see some jerk step off the batman circle when they are about to win you are behind and respawning. When that happens I leave the spawn area, put the controller down and go get a drink, restroom break, whatever. Because they obviously have something to prove but I don't and they don't control my game.

That said I can only do that for about a week. Lol. I really don't like to pvp. But you will pop a lot of feats doing that.

Anyway take it for what it's worth. From one pvp hater to another.
    • Like x 1
  16. KeeblerElf Well-Known Player

optimal in my opinion for ice is to go full prec for melee
    wintertempest, coldsnap, bitterwinds,snowdevil, blizzard, ice bash
    rock all the dots and go to town with your weapons maritial arts spinning punch or smoke bomb actually puts up good results in raids on ads and bosses if your doing reg

in my opinion range full prec lacks
    winterytempest, ice bash, snowdevil, blizzard, ice bolder, and i used throwing knives (200 power cost accrobatics move) used hand blaster solar flame

might based i went with
    freezing breath, frost blast, snowball, snow devil, blizzard, wintery tempest
    • Like x 1
  17. Apolloin Well-Known Player

I'm fully aware that melee precision is probablyth the best, which is another conversation itself. But for a might spec frost blast isn't essential at all, I was saying for a might spec arctic gust will net you more dps
    • Like x 1
  18. KeeblerElf Well-Known Player

well have to agree to disagree i woudnt want artic gust in my loadout it doesnt hit hard our results were different frost blast does great damage from any range you can also wind it up on your way to ads soaking up more damage on the score card. you can use it on full range boss fights like US(elite) and it will be usable in any SM type fight where full range is a must.
    • Like x 1
  19. Ully Committed Player

Hey Keeb, what's your dps rotation like? I have yet to spec for dps for my ice toon.
  20. KeeblerElf Well-Known Player

so in content id keep snow devil up drop wintery tempest then frost blast freeze breath rotating those as my burst as filler damage or if id get interupted id use snowball and id use blizzard on boss fights
    • Like x 1