Last one to post wins

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Rockin earth, Jul 2, 2013.

1. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Why are all Flash Drives 10% less than what they are supposed to be? :confused:o_O
  2. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

okay, i'll be around.
  3. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Do you mean why is 4GB not really 4GB?

Because drive storage is in units of 1024, but the average consumer can't handle that.
  4. ShadowCyborg92 Loyal Player

Are u talking about yourself again? lol
    • Like x 1
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yeah, but why 10% less for all sizes? 4GB is actually 3.6GB, 8GB is 7.2GB, 16 is 14.4, 32 is 28.8

Is this like charging $99.99 (when you don't even have 1c coins) because most consumers are too stupid to realise it is actually $100 (they see the .99 and think they are saving a lot)?
    • Like x 1
  6. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

Partitioned for shadow files or hidden flashdrive drivers.
    Heinyness, the 1024 counting is only done on RAM, hard drives are by the 100 mb/kb

And as I remember my finance/economic classes. The 9.99, the 99 cents is to make consumers round it off to 10 when the actual cost to produce is 7 or 8 bucks. It's for mark up and a psych thing.
    • Like x 1
  7. Yaoi Pope Dedicated Player

soft peppermints
  8. Bhanqwa Well-Known Player

gratz
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Just seems odd to me that they are all nearly exactly 10% less, no matter the listed amount

A related question: is it possible to manually change the Drive letter? Got a triple pack of USB Flash Drives to copy some wedding photos onto, but by doing that changed the Drive letter of the External Hard Drive (it had been turned off at the time as sometimes the laptop 'forgets' how to recognize the HD), and really don't ant to have to change the short cut links
  10. Ninja'd Dedicated Player

As far as I know it has something to do with Base 12 and Base 10. The lower the base you used the more bytes you'll lose.
  11. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Well...you learn something new everyday!

Yes...it sure is possible. I changed a bunch of my external drives to be X, Y and Z.

Wel...I'm assuming you're running windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-add-remove-drive-letter#1TC=windows-7
  12. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

Yeah, what Heinyness said ^^^
  13. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Did u give him a hug or a bacon donut ?
  14. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

this one uncle grampa?
    [IMG]
  15. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Good enough for his heinyness
  16. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Cool , the force awakens on DVD in April
  17. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

with bonus scenes
  18. Lord Jareth Steadfast Player

and lightsabers and the force ;)
  19. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

And lions n tigers n bears ..... Oh my
  20. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Im not scared of lions n tigers n bears... but Im scared of... (please someone at least get the song reference)