Star Sapphire Male contest

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MariaTenebre, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Minnion Devoted Player

I'm kind of disappointed to see a lack of pictures actually.... I thought this was a themed costume contest, but it seems to have been derailed into a debate about DC lore and gender politics...
  2. AverageJoe Dedicated Player

Lol I was like shouldn't there be pictures? I guess the movement for Star Sapphires isn't as strong as some my think?
  3. Makineko Committed Player

Just be grateful Circe isn't here, it'd have descended into something 10x more dramatic :p
  4. AverageJoe Dedicated Player

Lol what if you have all the powers? This looks like something Donald Drumpf would say lol.....
  5. AverageJoe Dedicated Player

I will say this to Maria I don't not care for Star Sapphires and I respect your thrill and want for them. If you want them get your voice heard not just at DBG go to DC themselves write a letter a make a video on youtube something. Change comes want....and right now you are talking for years maybe months I do not know but what I do know is if you want this make it happy.
  6. Commander Coral Well-Known Player

7. MariaTenebre Committed Player

AverageJoe do you have a link to where I could contact DC to get my voice heard?

Yes I saw your Star Sapphire earlier Commander Coral very good job I especially love the headdress.

This is what I am saying it completely flies in the face of lore to make the Amazon and Wonder Woman gear for both genders just as it goes against lore to make the Star Sapphires female only. It is something that the devs should rectify.
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Here is possibly how it went down (to explain how DBG made male Amazons and female only Sapphires)

SOE: "Can we add Amazon and Star Sapphire gear to the game for players to wear?"
    DC: "No"
    SOE: "Can we add Amazon and Star Sapphire gear to the game for players to wear?"
    DC: "No!"
    DBG: "Can we add Amazon and Star Sapphire gear to the game for players to wear?"
    DC: "Will you guys shut up if we say 'Yes'?"
    DBG: "Yes!"
    DC: "Fine, you can add Amazon and Star Sapphire gear to the game for players to wear"
    DBG: "YES!! Okay Devs, we got the go ahead, make Amazon gear for female and male players, and Sapphire gear for females only!!"
  9. AverageJoe Dedicated Player

http://www.dcentertainment.com/contact
    Now i don't know if that is the right link but its a start. I just know in some cases people would contact a company. I would also look into getting a petition going things like that.

Now as for why there are male amazons I think becasue the styles can be easily passed as males. I'm not saying its right or wrong that's just what I think of is why they could do that.
  10. iAquamanJLA Well-Known Player

Yeah but I like it better this way.
  11. DocBarJovi Well-Known Player

As far as Star Sapphires go, they have been a few male members:

Guy Gardner
    Abraham Pointe a. k. a. Predator
    Krona
    Superman Prime
    Kryb
    Sinestro
    John Stewart
    Kyle Rayner (not an actual member but incorporates the ring and powers)

None of them wear "Cross Dressed" costumes. Google them to see images of their styles if you don't believe it. Personally in game I would rather Star Sapphires and Amazons be a "girls only" club. If you want a toon to be a Star Sapphire or Amazon make it female. Wonder Woman being a mentor to all sexes? lol. BAD IDEA from day 1. Nuff said.
  12. MariaTenebre Committed Player

The Amazons should be female only but the Star Sapphires should not be as for one males have joined in the comics but also it is rather sexist as males are perfectly capable of love as females.
  13. megamanzero Loyal Player

yea but its better the other way.
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Quick question, how many of those examples of male Star Sapphires stayed Star Sapphires and remain a part of that particular corps to this day?

Just curious. :D
  15. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

It has been a musical chair with pretty much all the Lanterns since the NU52 started.

Sinestro went back to being a Green Lantern.... then back to yellow.

Gardner became a Red Lantern.... now is back to Green.

Rayner has been pretty much every color.

Supergirl has been a red Lantern.

Hal Jordan...... was he still considered a Lantern when he started using the Krona weapon with is hobo look???

Heck it's as if when they don't know what to do with a character..... let's make it a different Lantern color.
  16. MariaTenebre Committed Player

Just sent them a letter. Hopefully they will respond I don't expect much since after all they probably get several letters everyday but here's hoping they will correct the dev's foolishness.

Next the Star Sapphire styles can pass for males as well. Nothing about the Star Sapphire outfits could not fit for males they are just usually skimpy but even so they could have given us something like John Stewart's outfit however over all I suspect subtle heterosexism for not having the Star Sapphire style for both genders.

Exactly people change Lantern colors all of the time.
  17. Minnion Devoted Player

Wait.... Wasn't Kryb the female of whatever species "she" is?
  18. MariaTenebre Committed Player

Yeah I think Kryb was female.
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

But that's not what I asked, is it? ;)

See, back in SWG one of the most requested features was for Jedi to be able to wear regular armor styles in the game like all the other professions, but the powers-that-be kept saying no, in part because they never wore armor in the films. Once the Clone Wars micro-series hit with Obi-Wan wearing a version of clone trooper armor, the "they don't wear armor" argument started getting chipped away. And as more examples of Jedi wearing armor gauntlets and such showed up in the series, the stronger the counter-arguments grew. I don't know how much of an impact it ultimately had, but it's not tough to imagine that seeing regular, consistent use of armor pieces/full armor on characters in that show helped bring about that change.

The only thing consistent about the male Star Sapphires is that they're temporary. The permanent members of that corps are female. Find yourself a permanent, longtime male member of the Star Sapphires and you might be able to gain some traction. Find multiple examples and your job becomes easier. Otherwise it's very VERY easy to look upon the Star Sapphires in the same way as Amazons: all-female.

And before someone starts getting all worked up over Amazon armor for males or WW-inspired styles for males, take a look at armor styles for the ancient Greeks (Amazons are at the very least mentioned in the Greek myths) and remember that they made female AND male versions of the Noble Warrior outfit (patterned after Wonder Woman's New 52 outfit). And as a side note, it seems like pointing out that there are male versions of Amazon and Wonder Woman gear would be a better route to take in making arguments than trying the "there are male Star Sapphires in comic canon" route, but that's just me.
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

If they could (and did) make male versions of Wonder Bewbs outfit (even if it was modelled on the crapflastic New52 outfit) then why can't they make male versions of the Star Sapphire outfits? There are a few male versions in-comic they could use as the base

Very few outfits in-game remain looking the same for both male and female outfits: just look at the Urban Slick feet and the Fourth World chest, neither of which look anything like their gender counterpart (the male Urban Slick feet are sneakers with knee-high socks, and the male 4th World chest resembles Thor's classic chest piece)

But, let's stop arguing about why for and why for not, all those opposed should butt out and let those with Star Sapphire-inspired outfits (male especially) post their images