Devs honestly what is your vision for pvp?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Schnoz, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talve Dedicated Player

It would all make sense if we would not run 2 DPS setups on PC. Oh wait, we do. Oh, well...

Took a second to check out the video as well. Its quite old one you got there.
    Just so you would know how serious it was, try to count how many electrobursts were used on Hope Brothers side during the whole match. I can save you the trouble and say that the count is 0.
    This was just a time of experimenting and having fun.
    By now experiments are done, lots has changed and setup optimized.

Ultimately, i guess we will see the actual outcome after the server merge.
  2. Brother Allen Loyal Player

heh...yeah that was back when we (Clutch and Talve with Me, Slob, and Venge) started playing with each other. We were experimenting with certain group make ups. Our group set-up is now 3 Hard Lights (2 DPS and 1 Troller), 1 Nature, and 1 Sorcery. And we have caught nothing but hell from certain people for running it. Oh well...thems the ropes. :p
  3. Predicament Well-Known Player

That is an amazing idea!!!! The fact that PvP phase was so fun back then because PvP gear was usable for simiple PvE things while waiting for queues and etc was so fun, the fact that players asked for help from opposing factions and or just fighting other leagues and players randomly in the PvP phase was amazing. Now that DH/RW give such little marks and only doable once a day, it is completely empty, and not worth doing, even if you wanted to do it, it seems more like a burden and chore now because you would have to wait and just to make things interesting do it in PvP gear but not be able to do anything else while we waited for DH/RW
  4. Marcos Active Player

Get new feats drove me to PvP originally, but I was caught in the fun of playing with iconic characters (legends) and do my own unique loadout and gameplay against other players (arena).

New legends chars to master, the fun of facing numerous oponents with diferent gameplays and powersets.
  5. Talve Dedicated Player

Did you even read any parts of my post? Have you even done any healing in competitive setup?

It was not a single bit about what i want. My point was, having consumables fixes 0 issues in the came while it causes more imbalance between healers, as only 2 have consumable heals (reason why sorc/elec was run for longest amount of time).
    To put it into perspective, consumable into Electroburst is about 50-60% more power efficient than Arc Lightning into Electroburst... and Arc+Electroburst is doing this well only in case of you keep getting perfect Arcs over and over again. So in reality its even lower. Do you want healers to suddenly start healing for that much more in pvp?
    We all remember how fun it was to have 0-0 15 minute matches.
    This? And a threat? Are you kidding me?
    Me and Brice are leaguemates. This was just friendly joke you can translate into "do you even realize what you are wishing for" / "this is how crazy it would be".

So instead of pointless "i dont care what you want! Get lost" talk why don't you actually bring out a pro consumable argument.
    This how discussion works.
    • Like x 2
  6. Talve Dedicated Player

Yes, electricity will always have highest burst heal potential in game. You will pretty much waste your whole power bar in 2 seconds, but you can do it.
    Clipps like 5 man electroburst (with electrified targets ready) clipped with bio-cap into bio-surge with interaction heal activating together with safety net end up healing ~19k (on a single target) on average at around 8k resto. Potentially could be even clipped with galvanize if we are purely looking for max burst (or if bio surge is not being run)...and all can be instantly clipped into each other with 0 delay.

Numbers like that can not be reached by neither Sorc or Nature. How ever, nature can do better burst healing than Sorc...and can be more power efficient than Sorc...
    So if burst is what you are afraid of, if anything...optimal setup would be nature+elec.
    And this is coming from a guy who really liked sorc+sorc healer setup over anything else before i got around to test nature post update.
  7. Derio 15000 Post Club

PVP is messed up, period. Electric will always be OP in pvp, and fire tanking is currently the tank for pvp along with earth. Funny how the powers that struggle in PVE excel in pvp.
  8. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Failing to see your claims on Elec being "OP" in PvP. It is merley better suited in PvP due to it being able to burst allies health unlike in PvE only being 100% or 0% health.
  9. Predicament Well-Known Player

Still referring to the topic of Electricity, Im not quoting for this purpose other than talking about electricity, how do we feel about the DoT cap being removed and being restored to how it was for PvP arenas and DPSing with Elect/Nature and other DPS powers? I'm hoping for the base core mechanics of every power being the basis of PvP and no AM.
  10. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Have you seen Nature's DoT's? I do not want that being the standard lol
  11. Predicament Well-Known Player

I have seen natures DoTs, but in terms of back then prior to AM & WM being introduced, there was more diversity in DPS, Elec, Nature, Sorc, Gadgets, and HL. Obviously Wolf Form and HL are the way to go now but that's what makes them the go to, their AM wolf form and combos with increased damage and no counter exposer, but if things went towards the removal of WM and AM, wouldn't it be fair to restore the DoT Capacity of all DoT powers?
  12. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Prior to AM and WM it could be possible. Keep in mind that they plan on having powers not overwrite each other eventually so it could make mass DoT stacking very efficient, and that's not exactly a good direction to go in PvP unless they're going to introduce counter windows on those powers.
  13. Ariyana2015 Committed Player

In most 8v8 arena matches there is one person that has all the kills. There is usually one or two that have about half those kills and then the rest of very few. That is what needs to change in pvp. It either needs to be balanced or it needs to have brackets.
  14. SGS_JonLegend Well-Known Player

Just a little Open World PvP action on USPC. Would like to report that everything seemed smooth (Though I'm not participating while filming). So what the Devs have been doing recently seems to be working out pretty well. Before I get trashed for not saying so, the Villains were beating up on the Heroes pretty good before I got around to filming. It wasn't until after I had my fill of fun that I thought to film.

This was prolly the most fun I've had with PvP, so anything to add to these Open World situations, expecially if it encourges encounter like this, I can see being benificial to the PvP community within DCUO.

Oh, and sorry if you don't like tunes. That was my Pandora station. And sorry about lower quality, wanted to catch as much as I could, so didn't set up recorder for 1080 :(

• Like x 1
  15. Kiza Uzumaki New Player

I AGREE THE POWERS ARENT BALANCED IN THE SLIGHTEST. most powers has kinda a cheat where they can pretty much save them selves for example HL can glitch the counter system (if your good enough) quantum can warp all over the place and basically never be hit (this is also a shielding affect) nature and do its am and never be interrupted by any1 while block breaking like crazy(this is done by using cc ailities to restore power) mental can spam 4 moves over n over n never run out of power while basically juggling the other person and causing them to waste power while trying to breakout.
  16. Kiza Uzumaki New Player

the reason 4 this is only the prson who is doing the most damage to the others gets credit 4 the kill so if 5 ppl r attacking 1 person only the one who did the most damage gets credit
  17. Revoemag Committed Player

I still think that the devs should slit pve and PvP phases to pre and post 30 phases...pve for pre30..and PvP for post 30...

This would encourage everyone post 30 to do arena and legends more to gear up, not to just do more arenas , but for open world survivability..

I personally hate pve phase and never go to it unless I have to to join a bounty group..heck I even farm bits in PvP, so if any hero's try to take my bit, then its fight time :)
  18. Schnoz New Player

You really changed my mind about the whole grinding thing. Now I am on the side where there should only be one or two tiers with the second tier just a little bit stronger. Or I think it would be pretty awesome if we had one tier with different variants so say one has a precision based and so on then you also have the variants of the role gear so this then allows players to constantly be buying gear it's all one tier so everyone is also on the same playing field but then you also have roles back in pvp and players can now through the gear make hybrids bringing back competition and fun and experimentation.
    • Like x 2
  19. Superpatriot Dedicated Player

A lot of the problems with season 3 is that changes were implemented to fix issues that existed prior to Weapon Mastery. Before Weapon Mastery, a 5v5 TDM could go the full 15 minutes with nobody scoring a kill or maybe one kill occurring. Thus, players gravitated to 4v4s in order to remove the 2nd healer from the groups and matches were fun again. When Weapon Mastery was introduced, players went back to 5v5s because it was possible again for teams to score kills.

Then Season 3 happened. The agnostic gear was a good step because it gave players more of an option on how they wanted to mod, but the rest of the changes greatly reduced the capacity to do the two things that people seek after the most in arenas. Survivability and the ability to eliminate their enemy. I know those both sound like they offset each other, but the ability of a team to capitalize on their opponent not being able to do one or the other was what set teams with skill apart from those with luck or utilizing cheese.

These are the things that I think need to be changed/added/returned to make pvp what everybody is wanting it to be.

1. Bring back the RPS system. The ability of one role to help to mitigate another's role ability to do their job was what made pvp more skill based. This would also require the return of movement debuffs in order to balance out 1v1s and 2v2s. The game and forums are rife with complaints about certain powers being nearly unbeatable in these arenas and especially in duels which take place in an open world environment and as such do not have certain abilities reduced in effectiveness making them clearly imbalanced. (Fire Tanks anyone?)

2. Counter Vulnerability Windows. Blocking especially needs to have the window reduced significantly. Being block broken after releasing block and hitting and doing damage with a melee attack is intolerable. Same goes for the block break interrupt window. I believe we all can testify to moments when we've thrown a block break, then blocked, only to be lunged and interrupted. These aren't latency or lag issues.

3. Remove Blue Immunities. There are some that have developed a talent for relentlessly farming these and while it could be claimed it is a skill doing so all Blue Immunities do is reward a player for taking advantage of an already punishing counter mechanic as well as the vulnerability windows being so large. Not to mention they hardly promote what Season 3 was intended to introduce which was faster matches.

4. Reduce power costs in arenas. More power allows two things to happen. Teams increase their survivability and they increase their ability to eliminate their enemy. Decreasing the power costs provides both of these and is possible to be countered by the RPS system.

5. Infinite Soda. Increase the power and health back to standard as with Extremes.

6. Ranked and Unranked Match Ques. Unranked maps should be where people learn to pvp and start to get their gear so they can participate in Ranked Match Ques. To be honest, I feel that buffing players to the minimum is counter productive towards what a lot of folks are looking for with PVP. Legends should be where people are going if they are undergeared instead, but if it is set in stone that people are going to be buffed to minimums in arenas then this is a better option. Players can still earn marks for gear in Unranked and Ranked, but they won't be able to participate in Ranked matches until they truly have the minimum CR requirement. It's enforced in PVE, it should be enforced in PVP as well.

7. Remove the Crit Cap. The Crit Cap was implemented to slow matches down and keep highly skilled teams from quing into matches and steamrolling over other players. In turn, it slowed PVP to a crawl resulting in the 15 minute tie matches which dominoed to what we have now with Season 3. Not only will this bring us back to faster matches but it will also do the one thing that a lot of players have been wanting to happen for a long time. It will make Skill Points matter. Yes, currently with more Skill Points you can stat stack rather than increase chances to crit, but being able to do both will set players apart from others.

8. Utility Belts. Bring them back. Allow players to use the options they have earned in the game. Not speaking towards using Home Turf trinkets, but allowing the use of PVE trinkets and a second consumable for a buff soda at the least would add to diversity in matches.

9. Home Turf Mods (?). I hear arguments for and against these all the time. People still like to have them for duels I know so far as they will mix in PVE gear in order to take advantage of them, but from all I've heard the jury is still out. Some balancing needs to be made with some (acro tumble master) if they are to be included again though.
    • Like x 8
  20. Talve Dedicated Player

There are fast matches and then there are too fast matches.
    Personally i think that resetting SC prior entering the arena, removing Home Turf and removing utility belt( consumables) was enough. I did not agree with power cost increase.
    Main reason why no one ever died was that if 5v5 team run lets say max turtle setup (2 heals, 2 trolls and a tank), you had 5 supply drops, 4 SCs from healers (6 when modded), 4 SC from controllers and amazingly efficient healing when you stacked up for consumables from the start of the game. To this you can add 2-3 SC everyone gained during the match.
    This is why no one never died, as even if you made mistakes from the start to finish, all those resets were enough to cover full 15 min period easily.
    Now all you have at start of the game is your soda. That's it. Mistakes = likely kills.

What you want are not faster games. What you want is a massacre.

So you want gameplay what is not based on reaction. All this does is making WM spamming even more common thing as its easier to get away with random stuff. Currently you can sit back and react to what your opponent is doing as immunity is worth it. Even if you take some damage, scoring a hard stun is completely worth it. Make it more of a guessing game, and you have more of a WM spam just randomly swapping between right and left WM combos. Can't react, why not. And even if you get countered, no immunity anyways. Spam, spam, spam.

And in addition to spam, spam, spam, instead of 10-15k crits right now you literally want trinket stacking home turf modded no crit cap 1 shots to be a thing.
    You don't want fast games. You want a massacre.

Those are only 2 points i actually partly agree with.
    When it comes to power cost, IMO the best way to do it is to remove high VIT from the PvP gear. Current gear is just that cherry on the top for AM.
    For example as nature healer:
    Power cost with CR 100 PvP gear for blossom: 802
    Average power back with 2262 VIT from AM: 503,56
    True cost of blossom with 2262 VIT: 298,44
    Average power back with 100 VIT from AM: 164
    True cost of blossom with 100 VIT: 638

So currently you get 62% power cost reduction for using AM as nature (keep in mind it varied per power used).
    AM would still be worth it with no VIT. It's still respectable 20% reduction. But currently its just out of the roof.

Controllers should just get that VIT they lost from the gear as passive buff in controller stance so their power out stays the same.
    In addition to AM this would help to fix the very popular DPS defib "controller". Not having that huge VIT while DPS stance would actually force DPS controllers to switch back to controller stance.

RPS system would help to counteract the overall power reductions, like you said. But i think the whole "DPS increase VS counter class" was kind a stupid.
    This was skill-less part of the system. "Hit something win something, Herp Derp".
    What i would like to be returned is the PoT stripping, shield stripping heal debuffing part of the RPS system. That was actually the skillful part of the system. That's what actually forced you to communicate on whats going on. Communicate about cleanses and PoT. Communicate between healers about debuffs and who can heal.
    Damage increase on hitting class you counter was just mindless and made it almost impossible to win again your counter class.
    As mainly a healer, i can't remember a single time in RPS system, where i would have lost to a tank in 1v1, even after the movement mode debuffs. It was pretty much impossible to lose.

So as long as only part of the RPS comes back, i would not mind it at all. I agree, it had skill in it.
    • Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.