Character Cloning...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Black-Zero, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BumblingB I got better.

Though some of the grind feats are not designed for multiple alts, most of the "accomplishment" and "style" feats are where you get the bulk of your SP anyways. I think that the grind feats are what everyone is complaining about, since they are stupid to do it on 6-16 characters.

I've recently built a toon, entirely from scratch (no access to lockbox gear and money), last monday. It has been 7 days exactly and he is now cr78 and has 61 sp. There are a lot of raid feats I can get that will get me up to a comfortable dual spec sp role. I don't plan on doing any of the grind feats again on him unless they happen naturally. I don't really care to have all the styles on him, but there are a lot you can get easy. I hate farming collections, but not as bad as doing Moon Base 500x.

Asking to "clone" a character is just silly. If you are going to "buy" a clone token for $30, why not just buy 3 respec tokens for $10 each?

If you are into the lore and roleplay, I'm sorry, but no one has time to work on multiple toons to even results. It's impossible. Mark cost aside, just grinding out all the raids/alerts/duos/solos for the styles then add in PvP. You are only one person, there is only 24 hours in a day. In other words, you concentrate on one get him to a point and work on another. Unless you hotbox or have someone level your alts for you, you are only working on one character anyways.

If you feel you need to have one of every role to help friends, 90 SP is really easy to get on 3 characters, but having 70 or so is enough SP to do anything with full T4/Norseman gear. (Or even Demonic/East gear, as it is practically T4 anyways.)

Yes, I don't have enough marks to make this game like staples and have a red button to press for easy mode, but they intended it to be like that and not have Boost 2 on every one of them until you are full T4 anyways.

When I created my US toon, I got him to 70 cr in a month. When I created my EU toon, I got him to 70 CR in less than a week. They made it easy to gear up with 2 DLCs since. Gear wise, you are already on easy mode, you just got to work for your feats.

Protip, while leveling, think of ways to get SP BEFORE you hit 30.
    • Like x 1
  2. PKMN12 New Player

Ihave no idea what you mean by this, though i expect that means you are going to quit this game for it or expect it to be the end of this game. if the first guess, by we will be glad to see the back of you. if the second, they have said that many times over with a bunch of MMO's being released and it still has not happened yet.
  3. Tokkenn Active Player

Great man, but three points in response:
    1. You admit to having at one time had the time to grind game material and I assume you enjoyed doing it. So what you're saying is that others should have that same experience because you no longer have the same time that they might?
    2. You assume that the Devs want you to complete so much in game in fewer hours played. Just because you don't have time to grind out an alt doesn't mean the experience of everyone else should be diminished and trust me, what you're requesting would diminish the quality of the game.
    3. Making requests like this sure is a good way to hide the fact that this isn't your first rodeo.
  4. Twilight Man New Player

The point of my post was that i look forward to that new mmo, i will need a break from the mindsets behind this games players
  5. Black-Zero New Player

+100
  6. Comixfan Committed Player

DCUO was always marketed to the casual player. I've never expected it to "hand me everything", but I do expect it to accommodate my playstyle since I'm the type of player it was marketed to.

DCUO also provides the ability to buy extra character slots (and, in fact, encourages you to do so) so as to create alts. And then they turn around and make it near impossible to have those alts be viable? A little two-faced, IMO.
  7. Brit Loyal Player

Legendary Subscription gives 10 additional character slots above the 6 slots of Premium. I do not believe anyone in the game is able to keep more than 6 characters viable. Therefore, each and every month, a portion of my Legendary Subscription goes to pay for something the game makes it almost impossible to use.

Why don't they take away the extra 10 slots and just give Legendary Subscribers 1 free Power Respec per month; that's the only way trying something differant would be remotely possible. Just another way that Premiums get a better value for their money than the subscribers.
    • Like x 1
  8. Thewoe Well-Known Player

Been playing since day one, got 6 lvl 30's and got them b4 xp boosters.

2 characters are the mains i use, 1 full t4, 1 half t4 half t3. Both round about 80 SP each. Doesnt take ling at all, just a bit of patience and will.
  9. Zeo Committed Player

I don't support this idea, your idea isn't very different of the power respect tokens and both of them does not resolve the problem.
  10. PKMN12 New Player

This community is normal for MMO's in general, sadly, and that game will be no different, there are always people who think they are entitled and want the game to fit their own playstyle nevermind what anyone else wants. there are also always people who have a huge ego and think it is their way or the highway and anyone who thinks differently is a bad player.
  11. Gottcha Well-Known Player

Horrible Idea.
    Granted your first couple of characters takes a while to learn the game, but once you know the game and the tricks to get your skill points done it takes no time at all. I can get an alt to lvl 30 CR 70+ and 60-70 sp without much effort and if I'm having fun with the character they get to 80-90 sp also.
    The only "cloning" i want to see is on my sidekick's look and style... should be a "mini-me".
  12. NyteOwl New Player

This may be true, but consider the fact that additional character slots can be used by family members. 2 of my kids play on my account on their own toons, leaving dads toons alone. Saves them from being grounded if the accidentally delete my t4 armor :)
  13. YodaDog New Player

NO. They do NOT make it "near impossible" to have a viable alt. That is just plain false. And this thread is ridiculous.

What's really ironic about this conversation is: I dont really care for Home Turf. I have alot of different little gripes about it. But the one thing I do really like about it... it makes the game more alt friendly. You heard me!

There is no new tiered gear right now. Meanwhile, a great many players are running the Triumph rat race to boost the crap outta their mainframes (which perpetually expires and needs re-upping).. What better time to build an alt?? I just built a villian alt and its been surprisingly fun. And definitely easy. Not only do I get to build this guy without the worry that my mains are falling behind (they're not) but I earned a metric TON of furniture for my main toon's crib. So I feel like Im building with my main (albeit in a manner that doesnt actually progress the toon, but my house looks awesome!) without even needing to play her.

Meanwhile I made my villian alt like 10 days ago. Gimme another 10 and he'll be "viable" for everything but Prime and sync'n 5's.
    • Like x 1
  14. Drathmor Unwavering Player

sure you can get 1 mod 2 on alts if you at least run fos 1&3 every week on them I have several. and on to next point the new solo missions can be done with out any of it also I got faith in ya =) I have been in them and my stuff has worn off right at the begining and was able to get through them there are stratagys for all 4 of them you just have to use the barrells and run around kiting adds and what ever else you have to do to stay alive and get through them. in the words of Rob Snider YOU CAN DO IT !!!!! lol good luck
  15. Solmes202 Loyal Player

Even though I understand why some players would want character cloning I have to disagree with it. I have seen what replays have done to the game and this would be more of the same. People burned so many replays In a rush to get t4 that now many of those same people are bored to death and claim they have nothing to do. In my opinion one of the attractions of an MMO is that it does take a lot of time to craft a character. I am on my fourth alt and always go in knowing it will take months to get him grad up because I spend the majority of my time on my main. The grind is part of this sort of game and when we short circuit that grind we always pay some price in boredom down the line. So my question here is why rush to the end? It's a game and the journey is just as much fun as the endgame.
  16. Abstrakt Loyal Player

This ...and isnt that why they are called feats?
  17. Abstrakt Loyal Player

I have a troller a healer a dps and a tank that i run some more than others. I have 18 toons totally but i mainly play 4. As far as the mod stuff ive unlocked t2 on all of them. my mainframe all T4 on my dps. this month it was just to see what they do.Next month ill have all but side kick maxed. Our league runs about 7 to 10 raids a week while im not in everyone, i take part where i can we do have a lot of newer players in our league so we help them get speed feats in raids or bounties or whatever.
    Getting the marks and the feats are easy if you have a great league. its nice to have a reason to run the lower content again. I ran a star labs last night for a speed feat finished it in 15 min nice theres more marks and some styles I needed.

The thing i love about alts is the fact i dont have to use replays to raid more than once a week. If your league isnt active i could see where that would be a pain. Hit me up in game you can run with us if you need.
    On my troller i have mods t4 orbital and supply drop t3
    healer supply drop t3 mods t4
    my tank i only have through level 2 i hate tanking.
    my main is 112
    Feat wise these 3 are above 80 sp
    accept the tank hes at 77.
  18. Sylo Committed Player

Seeing as he is in a league that makes your point null and void. I have three toons, 2 are full T4 with a 100+ sp and the other is on his way. However if I were not in a league I would only have 1 toon because trying to grind alts when you constantly have to pug is a nightmare( not impossible just aggravating). I think people who are in leagues need to remember that being in a league makes things easier and that not everyone is in a league. So shooting down this idea because it was easy for you, me and anyone else in a league is pretty stupid.

I brought the cloning idea up to some leaguemates a few months back but my idea was a tad different. You buy your clone token from the MP and it makes an exact copy of your toon( mentor, powers, gear, feats, sp ) and adds a numerical code to your clones name. This way SOE has the opportunity to make money( because lets face it any idea like this that doesn't allow them to make money will not even be given a second glance ) because you will now have to buy respec tokens to change your name, movement and powers and the only thing you will have to grind is the new gear for your new role.

As for the people who don't like the idea, it doesn't affect you or break the game for you so while you are certainly entitled to have an opinion of "not liking" the idea there is no reason to be saying "no" to the idea. Also its "not" a hand me everything idea, its a "I'll pay you and you hand me a copy of everything I already worked for". If you have worked a toon to a good point there is no reason you shouldn't be able to clone him/her, its your toon, you took the time to grind them in the first place. So saving yourself a little time by cloning him/her for an alt is %100 harmless.

I don't won't to change anything about my main, he's not some "xxXX123*insert random name*123XXxx" toon and nor am I the kind of player who doesn't care if my toon has his own identity. I create alts to be completely unique from my main and for them to be separate entity's. Which should be obvious as to why some players want this

Why do people care what others want when it doesn't affect them or their game? If you took the time to get a lot of feats on one toon why shouldn't you have a shortcut option for an alt?
  19. Alitain1 Well-Known Player

That's a joke. Sorry, but really this and the SP being account bound arguments are all just about wanting a shortcut. And I get it, that's how it works for some people. You want to make another character but you don't want to do the work again, and I really can't blame people for that kind of mentality, but don't go blaming the game for what amounts to a certain degree of laziness and/or unwillingness to work for it.

I'm a casual player, been playing for a year and like 3-4 months now. My main has just finished T2.5 armor, and I have seven toons altogether, six of which are lv 30. Two have their T1 armor just recently, another is like halfway done. I spent about six months or so after grinding like nuts to get my main her T1(back before the marks change and price reduction) not really doing much of anything. I leveled a couple alts to 30 but otherwise didn't touch my main except for vault runs and seasonal events because I was burned out from running the same six challenges everyday and doing at least the daily alert on top of that most days.

I picked her back up around Oct and have only been doing challenges for the weekly bonus. And only recently in the last month have I done a couple alerts because I've been finding it frustrating trying to get alerts done with people of late. Could I have gotten through T2 and 2.5 in less than four months if I grinded everyday? Sure, but that's not how I want to play right now, nor do I have that kind of time.

The game is perfectly viable for alts, but that doesn't mean they're going to let you create a brand new character that has everything your first character has just because you feel it isn't worth working for again. I'm a casual player and not once have I felt like the game is making me a leper. Will it take longer than those who play for even just a few hours every day? Sure, and why shouldn't it? I'm only getting on for usually a couple hours a week with my main for the weekly bonus on T3 challenges and then I might pop on for an hour on any given day to do the CC missions(minus the chasing people down one...that one is ridiculous).

Admittedly I keep telling myself I should get on more now that I have to hit 3k for pieces of the T3, but eh whatever I'll earn the armor whenever I earn it. Same goes with my other toons. If you don't want to work for making a BRAND NEW character then don't make one. Toons can be fun because yeah you get to experiment with other powers and some people(like myself) like make characters. But if you're so deadly focused on not having a high SP count then maybe making other characters isn't for you. Respec tokens are there to switch powers if needed.

Not to mention that can I just say this entire topic basically is about you OP wanting SP to be account bound which as you even mentioned, is already a topic on here. You might try to doll it up as something different by talking about character cloning but really what it boils down to is you starting another "SP should be account bound" topic again. Just felt like pointing it out.
  20. Magnus Rex Well-Known Player

I have a Legendary account but I only play on weekends. And I have 6 characters total. The time grind on raising CR and feat points has driven me to basically abandon half my characters. I fully support any way to make grinding feat points on my alts less of a burden.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.