How do you, as trollers, feel about useless power burning?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Aglorenzini, Oct 30, 2013.

1. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

People say that because if the healer is out of power, the group is in danger. Just because the healer should be using less power, doesn't make them less of a priority. The healer shouldn't have to think about power, beyond rote power management (don't spam, use your weapon, etc) If the healer is having to stop healing and do the supply drop animation for power, something's wrong.

People say it less about the tank, because if the tank is out of power, it's probably already to the point where the rest of the group is running dry, and the controllers are already doing everything they can to push power out to the group.

As a troll, you really have to keep your eye on the healers, because their power usage comes in spurts. When spike usage occurs you have to be ready. I'd rather a troll saved their supercharge for the healer/tank.
    • Like x 2
  2. Black Jaq Devoted Player

I pugged Gates on my Cr88 Sorcery DPS last night. There was one DPS who had several pieces of 87/88 gear. The pot controller complained about his power usage, however the backup controller ran with nearly a full bar so they weren't power dumping at all. The DPS did not use hardly any power for the avatar fight and we wiped. 2nd time the DPS used his normal rotations and the avatar went down in no time. I got knocked out during the battle and saw healers with full blue bars with half green bars. From the controllers pov that DPS was spamming but he was actually carrying the raid and because of his CR his power uses were higher.

As a controller, I don't mind dumping power in an alert as long as people are using it. I don't mind the tank using a bit more power because otherwise I'm dumping power just for the DPS which is not a good return on my power usage. But with any role some players are more power efficient than others.
    • Like x 1
  3. Gotcha Girl Well-Known Player

I've been playing this role since day 1 as well and I understand the issue. I made mention in the same response that I agreed with someone that stressed the importance of communication and if that doesn't work then leave. Is this likely to happen? No, because these words are limited to the people that read them and many people are not going to want to leave anyway but I don't see your method being any better because it'll only push players to spam even more or simply take away the challenge of playing the role and any fun that comes along with it. Enough players have left already due to many changes that have took away challenges from DCUO and I can't say I blame some of them. For me, a game that isn't challenging isn't fun.

As for your league statement, I think you've just been in bad leagues. I've been in leagues in which we could openly discuss the issues and how to get around them. Now, maybe it was an issue with them and they were talking behind my back but as far as I can tell, it wasn't an issue. The leagues I've been in had a great sense of community and was kind've like a second family. Perhaps there need to be more leagues like these but I digress.

I never said it would be easy but if more people were willing to communicate and speak their mind, this wouldn't be an issue. I personally don't think your fix is going to do the game going forth any favors.
  4. Jurgen Blitz Dedicated Player

Good point, but it´s not the point. What´s being discussed here is the efficiency of power usage by others. Two examples:

1) Ran BIA and FR yesterday with a Celestial Healer and two DPS. His power bar was almost empty all the time although no one was getting seriously hit, DPS were avoiding hits like pros and we were doing fine. The logical conclusion: he was using power to try to add damage. But in Healer role, the damage he was adding wasn´t compensating at all. Later on we faced Luthor and one of the DPS died in two hits because his power bar was empty from before, forcing me to use an emergency supercharge so he could do his role: heal and save lives.

2) 3 DPS in a raid. I see that one is claiming for power a lot. Ok, we would say, if it´s bgeing put to use. But then I actually say "wait, how is this guy doing in terms of damage?". And I see that he is the second DPS in the chart, BUT that he is using a LOT more power than the first DPS in relation to the damage he was dishing out (about a 30% power intake for the damage he deals). This is an example of inefficient DPSing. Recharging this guy could leave the tank or one of the healers short, so that also affects the raid negatively
  5. WhiteW0lf Devoted Player

I play as both a troller and a high power using dps on my main, that should answer your question lol.

To be more specific, I keep power up as best as possible when I am trolling, if anybody in the group runs out of power and I no longer have any to give, or we are coming up on a situation where I will need to preserve it for the healer or tank, like a boss and the dps is out of power then it is their problem to deal with.

I also have this same mentality when I am running as a dps. If I run out of power and the troller has none to give or needs to preserve it, then I just deal with it and use my weapon combos as much as possible to build my own power. This is why I spec into both might and precision equally, I want to be able to still deal descent damage when I have no power.
  6. UltraElite Dedicated Player

As a controller i just worry about making sure everyone has power
    its not my job to manage how ppl use their powers

i live by the saying "u let me do me and u do u"

i give power cause thats what im suppose to do

how they use their power, is up to them

if they are wasting it then it should be brought to the groups attention....

as a controller, i think it is very selfish to think i can dictate how ppl use the power i give them

that if they burn through it too fast, then its messed up to intentionally not give them more power.

Just cause they are burning through power, that doesnt give me the excuse not to do my job...

using that as an excuse not to do ur job is borderline childish behavior
    • Like x 9
  7. Infinity New Player

Tanks should use the least power. DPS should always use power way faster than tanks.
  8. Black Jaq Devoted Player

The fact is there are two ways to DPS, right and wrong. Good players have good Damage Per Second which most equate to spamming powers. Many DPS don't practice rotations. Case in point: two HL DPS in nexus. One has been HL for years, the other for a month. Guess who had the higher damage out? If you guessed the newer HL DPS you would be right. Many players new and old don't understand effectiveness vs efficiency. Things die=job done. Maybe that Celestial healer was actually a DPS in hiding, IDK.
  9. Aglorenzini Dedicated Player

Well, I don't understand then. Everytime I see a tank he burns his power extremely fast. I know it's not something he keeps doing, it's an initial burst, but even though, every tank I've seen so far does it.
    Should I assume every tank I've seen just doesn't know how to tank? That's kinda improbable.
  10. Gotcha Girl Well-Known Player

I couldn't agree anymore and it's fitting that you put it in huge bold letters. The healer always needs power to heal but if he/she is burning through their power to do damage then that is a problem because the person won't be able to heal. Another example is the DPS that burns through their power fast and then wants more power despite the fact that you only have about 30% left which you should be keeping in case of an emergency. As a controller, you have to be able to manage your power even more responsibly than anyone else in the group because if you've used up all your power to make sure the power spamming DPS, tank or healer had something to do damage with then that is just as much of a problem. Your job is not just to give power but to give power (among other things such as debuffing etc..) responsibly or you become just as much of a burden on the team.

I personally don't agree that it is selfish because it's for the teams benefit, not yours that you bring it to their attention. A DPS can burn as much as they want but the tank and healer must have power to do their job or the team will wipe. If a DPS wants to burn through their power, that's fine but I'm going to cut them off if it means having enough left over and though many player seem to have forgotten, they have weapons. The teams ability to survive is based on the power that you can provide. Survivability should always be more important than the amount of damage the team can put out.
  11. Lucaefor New Player

DPS is all about damage per second not how much power you use. If you have a good weapon and playing skill you can pop a +50% damage bonus, run up a 100x hit counter and deal a ton of damage for practically no power at all.
    • Like x 2
  12. Aglorenzini Dedicated Player

You said everything. The x% damage bonus is not there just for fun, there's a reason!
    • Like x 1
  13. DivineSage New Player

I feel like no matter how much Vitalization I have and how much power I put out, it will never be enough for some people.

The more power you give them, the more they use.

The only power dump I have on my gadget Troller is for 3 targets. In pretty much every group there is that one dps who empties his power bar while everyone else is able to stay full and stable for the duration of the instance. I of course still feel pressure to give that guy as much power as I can, which means very little excitement and variety for me.

I hate it man, people don't care about other people.

It sucks more because I know what it can be like in ideal circumstances.

The few times I'm in a group of competent power managers it's like a whole different game. Yea I still use my power dump, but I can use it as part of a rotation, mixed in with Vortex cannon or Stasis field or whatever else I may want to use.

Most groups don't leave me with enough power to debuff or do anything other then PoT and try to build as many weapon combos as I can to afford constant power dumping. It's a pretty lame position to be in.
    • Like x 1
  14. Gotcha Girl Well-Known Player

Trust me, I know the feeling. The best thing to do is voice your issues and/or join a league. No one knows the difficulty of playing the role except for other controllers and many people will try to tell you how to play your role.
  15. Aglorenzini Dedicated Player

When I'm in a group of people who know how to manage their power I can use my power dump almost everytime. It's easier for me to know how to manage my power bar when I know the rest of the team can do the same.
  16. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Whatever, I have Nexts, supply drops, 2 1/2 supercharges and another controller to back me up...Burn away.

I only have problems when people get angry that I cant keep up...People are so used to clipping every weapon combo with a power, so when they run out of power they just dont know what to do with themselves when they cant anymore
    • Like x 1
  17. kickthetank New Player

If they don't complain about power out then whatever they do with the power I give is up to them.
    If they start to call me a bad battery then I'll either leave, turn off the game, kick them, or let them die.
  18. DivineSage New Player

The irony of your statement is that.
    Because of the way some people burn through their power, THEY are the ones who are dictating how I use power and what powers I'm using.

How the hell can I "do me" when literally all I can afford to do power wise is power dump and PoT because of the selfish play-style of a lot of the community.... That really ISN'T my entire job..

Good luck trying to tell anyone they are "wasting their power" and need to adjust their behavior. No matter how clearly you explain it, people will either not listen to you deliberately, or won't understand you because they lack reading comprehension, or maybe don't even speak English.

Not using my 3 target power dump on that one selfish ****** who's wasting power is really the only recourse one has most of the time. I wouldn't call that childish at all.
    • Like x 2
  19. Titans1373 Dedicated Player

Man I ain't gonna get no troll love for this. A troll that doesn't give power back or power dump is like a celestial healer that is more worried about damage than heals. You're not doing your job. To say "I'm only going to do this because I don't like how so and so is doing that" is a crap mentality to have. If you want to have good burn, good heals, good aggro you need good power. If that's not your gig then I seriously hope you consider switching to DPS. As a healer I carry next sodas and supply drop to help out because I know it ain't easy to power a group. But you wouldn't see me saying "so and so won't quit taking damage so I'm only gonna just cast weak hots on him".
    • Like x 1
  20. UltraElite Dedicated Player

well thats ur prerogative.

but i see it as childish....

as a controller my main and most important job is giving power. if i have the ability to give power i give it. i dont not give power cause someone is using it quickly.

i put out as much power as a can. if i cant keep up with the Power burners, then i cant keep up. if they complain i will tell them im trying my best to keep up with u. i will then point out their power input compared to others.

Rather than being stuburn and not be the best power giving controller i can be, i will talk it out....most of the time, they adjust. some times someone in the group will boot the power burner.

Bottom line: I DONT STOP BEING A CONTROLLER WHO GIVES POWER TO THE PPL IN THE GROUP, just cause i got some ppl who can use power up quickly.....

And i dont penalize that person, cause they use powers quickly. i dont feel its my job to manage how ppl use power. its my job to GIVE POWER, how they use it is up to them.
    Thats how Adults Behave

childish behavior= im not going to give u power, if u dont use it the way i want u to......
    • Like x 2