Name Reclaim: Update & Delay

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, May 11, 2023.

1. Treggs New Player

That's a command not a query
  2. BigSlasha New Player

it is an event tho obviously if something is taking an extra 6 hours it might as well be
  3. Boston Phantom Well-Known Player

If you not doing the name change event, then at least turn the game back on so that people stop crying
    • Like x 1
  4. Badname392023 Well-Known Player

Bruh I took off work for this update, I might even get written up and put on paper for it.

From the date the name reclaim was first announced to this current day was there not enough time for trial runs to investigate potential errors for this update? This is not something you announce last minute.
    • Like x 2
  5. Avelox Active Player

Since the purge isn't happening is there still a 6 hour downtime or is it coming up soon? I understand if the devs need time to fix things I was just looking for an estimate update in lieu of the new information.
    • Like x 1
  6. xGMZen Well-Known Player

there's so many names that are a thing, that are powerful sounding... STILL Available. lol I know a few that even I havent decided on keeping for myself, because im giving a chance to those who don't have those names. I hope they figure them out before I do decide to claim them for a new alt.
    • Like x 1
  7. Steph Toxzen New Player

I understand people waiting for name changes being upset, but to the people getting upset that the announcement of it is 'last second'... do y'all understand how stuff like this works? Technology and coding in a perfect world- sure, it works as expected without error. But this world isn't perfect. And no matter how much planning one does- you can't predict when coding issues will occur. I understand you're all upset because you're passionate for this game- but getting mad at the people who try to enable your passions because things they couldn't predict happen isn't conducive to making those people want to continue to enable your passions.

I've only dabbled in the game a little bit here and there over the years, and just came back to give it a solid play about a week ago, so my thoughts probably don't count for much compared to the longtime devoted people- but any devs that do happen to catch this post, thanks for your work over the years and now. And giving me an option to go to. And for communicating with your community when able to. It's appreciated.
    • Like x 1
  8. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

So, if I understand correctly, your concern is to make sure that they make money off of Rename Tokens, rather than name-selling causing money to go into other's pockets. If someone had their character renamed they get a free Rename Token, I believe. One of the things that is being avoided by rolling back the update is my receiving a bunch of undeserved free tokens (see the issue I posted that caused all this).
    • Like x 1
  9. SmokeyBear Active Player

Name seller profit too, they stack up names on multiple accounts and sell them, this needs a system to stop that. not just active account, yet active log on with that Character and Level. meaning a level past free account, like what World of Warcraft does
    • Like x 2
  10. Red Wáve Well-Known Player

I'm just glad that things are getting delayed if they're not ready for live, instead of reliving Wonderverse Launch.
    • Like x 4
  11. xGMZen Well-Known Player

I hope the depressing flood gates open soon, I have a few names to claim...
  12. Drathmor Unwavering Player

they have to roll everything back it takes time relax let the entitled masses cry them selves to sleep with their over blown outrage. they all sound like they need a nap
    • Like x 2
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

People would make more accounts then. With 'free' access, there is almost no way to lock it down.
  14. CompanyHater New Player

I never made a Thread ever, but that's disappointing in terms of the preparations you should have thought through as a team.
  15. Great Architect Loyal Player

Nobody does something for no reason. And you can only guess at what those reasons are, because you're not a mind reader. For whatever reason, people want to keep their names - and they are entitled to do that. It doesn't make them necessarily inconsiderate or trolling. Inconsiderate is demanding that names be freed up despite the owners of those names doing what they were required to do to keep them.
    • Like x 3
  16. SmokeyBear Active Player

wrong look up what World of Warcraft does with names. if that character hasnt logged in and also if it hasnt moved past a level CR or level that Free accounts can only reach, you can petition to release that name
    • Like x 1
  17. xGMZen Well-Known Player

I know this isn't world of warcraft, but Why not consider that???!! instead of by inactivity, maybe by combat rating? like any character below cr 50.
    • Like x 1
  18. Limey Committed Player

That's entirely a subjective point of view, based completely around artifical corrolations though. Weekly events require no additional downtime. Game updates require extended downtime and aren't events. The idea that it is 'an event' because it takes time to run a script that queries incredibly large databases of millions of characters, and renames all of the ones attached to accounts that haven't been active in over a year, is incredibly ignorant. By textbook definition, it can be described as 'an event' because something is happening as a general concept, but by video game definition, is it not an event because is it not a limited time occurrence, and it does not have a start or end date, and it serves no purpose other than mixing up the pool of available text/alpha numeric combinationsavailable to identify/distinguish different characters.
  19. SmokeyBear Active Player

or not past 30. between 1 and 30,, cause if that toon hasnt logged on in 11 to 2 years and hasnt moved past 30 it never will its being held for a name
    • Like x 2
  20. Limey Committed Player

In this community, providing specific dates for anything does more harm than good.

In this case, the date wouldn't make any difference because it's the day of, and the delay was caused by errors in the script they were running changing names of toons that shouldn't have been renamed, but generally speaking, date dropping doesn't really benefit the community or their relationship with the development team.
    • Like x 2