I love DCUO so can you remove the stat clamp already?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by llllDeathstroke, Aug 21, 2022.

1. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

There was an MMO I played before that had a similar clamp system in place. Forgot which one. It basically you would get rewards/exp based on the range you were within the enemies you were facing. They didn’t have things like feats so there is that.

A lot of games do tend to fall into the power creep issues. And power creep isn’t just about stats but in most games it’s also about additional features. Warframe for example is probably one of the easier games which allow for enough gear/stats to basically make virtually everything easy mode. But at the same time it has such a large amount of feature that it can become scary for new players to get into. The things about it thou is that it has horizontal progression and not vertical. Most modern MMOs I’ve tried lately have started following horizontal progression over vertical progression with some having a mixture of both. For example, I played bless unleashed for a while. It has different ranks of gear with different sets available within each tier. Last I played A rank gear was the highest with S ranking being released shortly after I left. Biggest issue thou is that horizontal progression also relies more heavily on RNG for gear and other stuff. Like bless where you had rng on getting a piece of gear from. Dungeon and then you also had to get lucky that the gear you got also had the runes(?) of the right color to match what you needed.

Dcuo is actually in a tough spot because of the system they chose. It is vertical progression which follows by the best gear being able to be bought. While other games rely on RNG to keep players coming back to keep play, dcuo needs feats to keep players coming back.

As an example. Let’s say dcuo got rid of the sp system. In order to keep players coming back they’d go back to the old system of the best gear being dropped gear. Remember that the 2 most important “currencies” gaming companies want from players is their money and their time. They could push that rng even further and remove the loot locks while lowering the drop rates. This would essentially drive up the play time from players while also pushing the marketplace even further with cosmetics. Looking at the average price of cosmetics in typical MMOs means most cosmetics would be $10+ And only for one toon.
    • Like x 1
  2. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

And that’s on you. Won’t change what the facts are.
    • Like x 1
  3. Alpha Maximum Well-Known Player

Yeah, taking nearly ten years of earned progression was a kick in the teeth. I feel your pain.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  4. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

The facts are I already did the work on my toons.
    • Like x 2
  5. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

What you want does not out weigh what the game needs
    • Like x 1
  6. Alpha Maximum Well-Known Player

Your right.

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  7. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

So what are we supposed to do now? How does the Company address the feelings of those of us who view the Clamp as trivializing our work?

They have successfully split their gaming community between pro-clamp / anti-clamp, I certainly don't have any desire to want to run the new un-clamped content with the pro-clampers when it is released soon.

In fact these discussions have significantly soured my love for DCUO, which I thought would never happen. Compounded with the horrible new On Duty UI, I am actually starting to hate this game. This is my first MMO. I loved DCUO. I compare every MMO I play now to DCUO as a standard.

This is really messed up. The atmosphere here is toxic and it is making me a bitter person, someone I don't want to be.

Being the strongest I can make my toons and enjoying the benefits from doing so is my enjoyment in playing MMOs. So what I am suppose to do now?
    • Like x 5
  8. Grim931 Committed Player

I'm having a hard time understanding why it matters so much where the stats come from.

If there's an abundance of stats coming from gear, but it's clamped to a point where the extra is meaningless, yet there's a lack of stats coming from all the other extras we have available, why can't the excess be converted over and make up the difference? It wouldn't last long, and would literally only be the most beneficial in earlier tiers...

It had nothing to do with removing, altering, or changing the clamp in any way. Just providing...

Wait for it...

Options.
    • Like x 4
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Wow....I go camping for 4 days and you guys beef the thread up by 15 pages? Nicely done all.

"The new costume contest..." we are coming for you buddy!
    • Like x 7
  10. Proxystar #Perception

How long do you think it's going to take, though

I'd propose at the current rate it would likely be longer than the forseeable existence of the game for progress to reach critical levels.

That's not really a bandaid.
    • Like x 1
  11. Plowed In Loyal Player

Roll with the punches, adapt to the changes, find a level of acceptance you’re comfortable with…or don’t and move on. It doesn’t need to be as life altering as you all seem to make it out to be. It’s a stat system within a video game, that was always subject to change.

Take your own power back and stop asking me what you should do. What do you want to do?
    • Like x 2
  12. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Right now, truthfully, have a good cry
    • Like x 1
  13. The Con Dedicated Player

Whoever accused you of being an elitist needs to apologize.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  14. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Oh yeah, forgot for a moment EQ2 still used the RNG system that the "Raid Leader" of 24 players had to sort out the gear loot between everyone XD
    (Usually plans to craft certain gear varied by different classes/powers)

Bringing back memories. Some guilds would type /roll to roll the dice 1 to 100 right in chat (wish DCUO had this), some would use a "prestige" system where they could just bypass the roll with points saved from raiding with the league (manually counted). Good times.

Can't relate over here. I started playing DCUO as my early retirement from tanking in MMOs XD
  15. Wzlinnkk54 Active Player

This is a video game, no one is forcing you to play it. The clamp came out over a year ago now and people complained, and they made adjustments to it. But they have not removed it, its something they dont want to get rid of but want to improve on. If its something that is affecting your mood to the extreme of hating something ect. then I say you should probably move on and play something else theres a lot of games out there these days. This thread not being locked is crazy after reading some of the replies from both sides of this argument is just silly.
    • Like x 1
  16. The Con Dedicated Player

I thought you got banned, too....

Welcome back,
    • Like x 1
  17. The Con Dedicated Player

There's that elistist attittude again.... So, stats don't mean as much because you bought them "easily"?

Buying an upgraded armor is STILL EARNING IT.

It doesn't have to be work. This isn't supposed to be work.

IT'S A GAME.

Gaining stats is supposed to be FUN.
    [IMG]

Edit:
    Also... I assume that you meant that your example went up... not down.
    • Like x 1
  18. Capt. Retro Well-Known Player

Silliness is a....silly reason to censor a thread about a core game system that isn't fully accepted by the entire player base. It doesn't benefit an intelligent company to shut down feedback.

Also, the sentiment of "if you are unhappy, go play something else" doesn't make for an optimal opinion to run a profitable business seeing as that is the LAST thing a game company should want swathes of their players to feel.
    • Like x 3
  19. Wzlinnkk54 Active Player

Just tired of it seeing go round and round because it's pointless.To reply to your running a profitable business would be that apparently swathes of players like the clamp and/or don't care that the clamp is there or they would of removed it. Now that I stated my point now you would comeback with something like I'm un happy cuz I don't feel strong, or you can't get groups to listen, or I had bad experience in omnibus, or I can't get my sp up cuz things aren't like they used to be when I could just 1 shot things. Then people will reply get better, get groups, learn to play. Alls I'm saying is all over these forums not just this thread it's a rinse and repeat argument till it gets locked or people are just tired of proving their side of the argument only for someone to make a new thread after it falls off the first page and then continues all over again and then again and also again and guess what they might improve it BUT ITS NOT GOING TO GO AWAY.
  20. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Stay in EG? You’re acting as if anyone is forcing you to play EEG. It’s all optional. Don’t like EEG? Play EG. I don’t play things I don’t enjoy. I have pvp feats I don’t do cause I don’t like pvp in this game. I have battle for earth duos that are easy get I don’t do cause I don’t want to do those duo. I have CC bounties to do which I can do the ones in Gotham and metro that aren’t clamped. But I don’t cause I don’t want to.

You are the one making a bigger deal out of it than it is. I’ve already explain to you what the 15cr meant. You even seemed to understand it after I explained it you before. But then someone posted the 1% and you became bitter because you continue to focus on those numbers without actually wanting to understand what they actually mean.

On top of that you say you like helping others but admit that all you care about is getting all your stats back. So what about new players? Do their experience not matter? Now that you have your gear and don’t have to experience the story anymore they shouldn’t be allowed to do the same?
    • Like x 2