Pet Builds are at a Disadvantage During Stat Clamp

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ryazan, Jan 30, 2022.

1. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Just a random thought that came to me. With how I keep reading that in the clamp our stats are supposed "bleed", I wondered if it meant pet builds are at a disadvantage since a pet's base stats only comes from their CR, and also with how any extra damage increase such as Source Shard and Emperor Aquaman's passive is not affected by our stats.

In the end, after testing a character with no skill points specced and then with all, there was no difference in damage coming from the pets. So, yes. We are currently at a disadvantage. :(
    • Like x 5
  2. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Yeah, brought this up awhile ago. It’s another reason I don’t run clamped. It’s not terrible but they’ll never be better than they are now while other powersets will get incrementally better due to sp. Pets are what they are and will always be.
    • Like x 2
  3. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

• Warning: The DCUO forums are for everyone. Please be respectful, constructive, and kind. Please welcome contrasting views and stay on topic. Do not insult or attack anyone.
    Another clamp thread, who could’ve seen that coming….
    • Like x 2
  4. nawanda Loyal Player

It’s a forum for feedback.

If you want, I’ll DM you instructions on how to ignore threads about the stat clamp. The easiest way is if you see ‘clamp’ in a thread title, don’t click on it.
    • Like x 13
  5. Bipolar Diva Well-Known Player

Not buying this. This must have been tested by now.
    • Like x 3
  6. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I believe they receive more cr than we do. I ran the fgsr on one of my baby toons. My toons cr was clamped to 330 while the pet was sitting at 336 I believe. I don’t remember that alts base cr outside of clamp. It might actually be 336. If that’s the case it seems that pets aren’t affected by the clamp. Thou it was fgsr so maybe that was an isolated place. If it could also be just a display bug.

Now, assuming that it was just a display glitch. Pet builds have always been at a disadvantage but at the same time their ease of use and the fact that you don’t need to have much SP to make them useful means that also have their strengths that other builds don’t have too
    • Like x 6
  7. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

A pet is scaled to CR only. So, for example, of your CR is 250, and you only have 50 SP into might, your pet will summon at 249 and "X amount" of 'might.'
    If your CR is 250, and you have 310 SP into might, your pet will summon at 249, and will still have the exact same amount of "X amount" of might.

Your skill points will have zero effect on your pet, only CR affects your pet. In clamped content, your pet will scale to the CR of the content, and be at maximum performance of that CR.

You will notice a pet does less damage in clamped content, because it's CR is reduced to that content. I can assure you, running 3 pet sorcery build, that pets will still do significant damage "scaled to the CR relevant for the content."
    • Like x 5
  8. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

I should know this, but I’ve never ran a pet build in my 11 years here. Have SP ever affected pets? This can’t be anything new
  9. Plowed In Loyal Player

That’s always how pets have worked, not sure what you were expecting here…
    • Like x 4
  10. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

And what pet build is that? You didn’t state or highlight any pet build except disguise this thread as that. Not sure where were you when stat clamp was on test server or even after it. This was already discussed about pets and stat clamp. I also have multiple toons running a pet build and I run stat clamp a lot. Never saw a disadvantage as you guys keep insisting. Pale Rage along with Deity Supreme gave excellent points by the way. You’re more than welcome to keep believing your view on it though.
  11. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I get how it works. I’m just saying that my pet was at a higher cr than my clamped toon. I even said that it could just be a display glitch. So I’m fully aware of how it works. However it’s already been stated that stats do still pierce through. So not sure what the base threshold is. But the stats from 50sp wouldn’t be exactly the same as 310sp. Maybe I’ll test that later
    • Like x 2
  12. Ryazan Dedicated Player

To shine a light on yet another issue with pets.
    • Like x 3
  13. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Just any pet build in general. People with meta builds get to benefit the "stat bleed" a lot more than someone whose main damage is coming from pets, which do not get any increase from our stats.
    • Like x 2
  14. BumblingB I got better.

Pets always had a disadvantage against non pet builds. The only time they were ever on top was during CR differential and a little before, both only when the start of the CR Bracket. Pets are flat damage, so they would do more, since there is no rotation that is optimal. So they would be better damage early on.

In regards to now with the clamp, to be honest, is more how pets are at a disadvantage in balance between power sets. I was recently comparing Earth and Sorcery. Sorcery was beating earth by a significant margin and it had to do with what powers they have and animations each power utilize. But then compare it to a spammy power set, they both lose.

When they did the stats revamp, powers were closer together, but I and many other players who were testing, said that power creep will show it's ugly head later on. We are starting to see the difference between the powers and no matter what allies we get, won't change that. (I still think king Aquaman should not be stipulated to being hit.)
    • Like x 2
  15. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

I have a rage toon that isn’t designed for a pet meta build. In fact I don’t even have or use source shard. Pet damage is definitely not at a disadvantage. Besides when clamped we are 15+ above EEG content. Both Quislet and Grim have been doing passive damage that’s been steadily increasing my overall damage. For a earth or sorcery user who uses source shard, you definitely see an increase in their damage as they are able to use source shard more effectively add emperor Aquaman and pet damage is increased further.
    • Like x 2
  16. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

But isn't this the case in all content? CR is never affected by SP, so how would it change your pet's stats when they're based on CR alone?
    • Like x 1
  17. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Oh, I was mainly responding to the op, I would imagine you're pretty understanding of general (and advanced) game mechanics.

I'm willing to bet you won't notice a difference. I was curious myself if there was a difference. When I started going full pet build, my character had only about 240sp. I decided to go ahead and boost my sp after seeing how well the pet build performed, and didn't have a change in my pet damage (with the exception of raising three character's CR). I did see the obvious increase in damage from the powers I was using (to reset godwave), but the pets were still mopping the floor with adds the same.
    Pretty easy way to check: wipe SP out, hit doomed DC, and go ham on the various enemies. Then boost might to 310 and do it again. Just let the pets do the dmg (use weapon tap to start fight), and they'll still do the same work.
  18. nawanda Loyal Player

Your sarcasm is misplaced. You’re complaining about others creating a thread about pet damage in clamped content being repetitive, yet your own contribution seems to consist of being argumentative and sarcastic about the posts of others.

Nobody could reasonably describe you as having contributed anything positive or worth reading, so perhaps it’s time to step down from your self-appointed position critiquing the posts of others.
    • Like x 7
  19. Ryazan Dedicated Player

All of those things are all flat damage that is not affected by our stats though. They don't get any increase from our SP, or from a troll's buff, or from tetrahedron/cog.

And that is the problem, as our stats increase, the pet's do not. So someone with a current typical meta build will benefit a lot more from those things than someone with a focus on pets. Clamped content highlights this problem, our pets' damage will always be the same there, no matter the amount of stat bleed. The benefits from Source Shard and Aquaman become less and less significant as the damage from other sources become higher. It isn't a problem with the clamp itself, it's a problem with how our pets do not benefit from our stats at all.
    • Like x 3
  20. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Yup, the pet damage should not change at all seeing how their damage works. Id also bet it was just a display glitch too. And I was thinking more like seeing how much stats pierce. So go in with 0, 100, 200, and max.
    • Like x 1