Name Reclaim Event...when?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Valrasa, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Apollonia Dedicated Player

It wouldn't amount to any trolling or scamming because it's not real. It hasn't happened.

Imagine reading a passing comment that even ends with "but that's another convo [for another time]" and dramatically reacting to it as if it's a fully fleshed out and planned system that's happening. Relax. Deep breaths.

Another name reclaim is almost certain. It would have to happen when the next servers merge together. Hopefully when they do this, they take the opportunity to migrate to a new naming system that doesn't have the same problems or at least allows for regular purges.
  2. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

No. Let's keep the supply of good names low thus ensuring the continuation of the black market name trade.
    • Like x 1
  3. Berza Committed Player

You are suggesting it, I am explaining what would happen. If you think there wouldn't be scamming and trolling, the you don't know this comunity.
    Imagine that every now and then you suffer surgeries that prevent you from playing. And every time, some thief come to the forum asking the devs the right to steal names. Because there is nothing else here than robbery, asking something that belongs to another person to be given to you.
    Now imagine this is real, and imagine I won't be able to log in a few months, how do you think I would feel if I came back to the game where I spent thousands of euros, and some free noob has my name? Well, I can ensure you something. I wouldn't put a single cent on the game. Because I would feel robbed.
  4. SekretVillain Loyal Player

I think these 2 options are the only times we should see rename events. Otherwise your just stealing names from ppl just to be stealing names.
    • Like x 1
  5. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Maybe you're new to gaming communities but the Devs don't read stuff on the forums and think "oh, that's a good idea, why don't I do it exactly like what they ask for", No, they don't, They look at something people want and they design a system that delivers it while avoiding exploits and flaws as best as possible. These people are professionals. Every new feature and system has our community's ethics in mind.
  6. Berza Committed Player

So Devs don't come here and read stuff and do that stuff? Then stop asking for stealing other people's names, because they won't read this.
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

NA PS can't use them either.
    • Like x 1
  8. gruntsmith Level 30

I wanted a name reclaim because the name I want is always at level 3 and clearly taken just to try to sell. After seeing someone post they have 29 names to sell, I'm out. Unless it is regular and unannounced, the greedy and selfish are just going to hoard more names if there was another reclaim
    • Like x 1
  9. Berza Committed Player

The quote I replied stated their disagree with PS players being able while PC don't. As in EU all players can, I supposed PS were able anywhere.
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Well I believe Brazil PS can use special characters, maybe it's just PS players in non English native countries?
  11. Berza Committed Player

Do you mean in US servers, true? That could be the reason.
    Edit: I believe UK players in EU can use special characters in PS.
    • Like x 1
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That would require the companies involved to come to an agreement on cross-play servers, though. So far there's been no hints or signs of any agreements or merges taking place other than the devs saying, "We'd like to see this happen."
  13. Apollonia Dedicated Player

If you clutch those pearls any tighter you're going to hurt yourself friend.

People: we need cars to move around
    Car manufacturers: we'll build cars that explode and kill you.

No, they don't really say that do they. Someone sits down and figures out what people want and how to do it without hurting anyone.

You're having a meltdown over a passing comment about something that doesn't exist and its [nonexistent] ability to hurt players. If the Devs do a new name system they'll work out and build a system that works and doesn't hurt their players. Relax. Get some air.
  14. PolarisSylar Committed Player

I wasn't saying they were officially merging them with crossplay recently.

It was that the last time when pc/ps3/ps4, is when we had last name reclaim. Though.

I think we won't have a name reclaim any time soon.
  15. BumblingB I got better.

They will only if they do another crossplay with other platforms

Last one did nothing, as most of the names were being held by players that were active. They won't rename a character on an active account.
    • Like x 1
  16. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

'Did nothing'?
    Not true, it helped me.

'Most'?
    While not impossible to know, I doubt you could back that claim up
    • Like x 3
  17. BumblingB I got better.

Alas, you are right, searching the forums, the post Mepps made 2 years ago is gone. So its my word against proof.

On the other hand I can find my post, mentioning this from 2 years ago.
    So at least I'm consistent. *shrug*
  18. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

Assuming for a moment that "most" names were not released in the last name reclaim, some names definitely were. Given the sheer number of accounts, is 40% significant? How about 10%? Or is it only worth doing if 51% of the names will be freed up?

There bulk of the argument against a new name reclaim seems to point at how poorly that last one went. It's as if the whole notion of learning from one's mistakes, recalibrating, and then trying again with new understanding and wisdom, has been ignored.
    • Like x 2
  19. BumblingB I got better.

You are under the assumption that they can do something about the names to free them up. They will not rename characters on accounts that were active. This counts just logging in to character screen.

There is no mistakes here. There was nothing to recalibrate or try again with. The only way they will do the rename is if we have another crossplay with the other two platforms. And there won't be too many freed then either. I still have a MisterMiracle_PC1 because the age of mine wasn't as old as the other.

It's funny how the people who want this just say the same thing over and over as if each new time makes a difference. They are the ones who set the rules on what names can be returned. If age of login is included as a factor, don't complain if that precious name doesn't get freed up.
    • Like x 1
  20. myandria Item Storage

Name reclaims and even name purges are announced ahead of time and players are given notice via e-mail and enough time to respond; it is the main reason why they don't work as well as many players think they should. For example, if DCUO did do a name reclaim today, the devs would have to make sure that all account holders are notified, even if the account holder hasn't logged in for many years or if an active player hasn't logged in several characters for many years. "Oh, a name reclaim/purge is coming up? Let me log in my toons before I lose those names!" This is what happened during the last name reclaim and why so few names were freed up.

As others have said before me, a server merge would make more sense to perform a name reclaim then to just have one out of the blue.
    • Like x 1