Battle Tanking

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Nebraxis, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Proxystar #Perception

Oh if you've never tanked before I would go with what you've said for absolute sure.

Be a great tank and you'll no problem running content anyway. everyone else needs a good tank.
    • Like x 1
  2. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Its Proxy, things always blow up when he comments (no offense Proxy).

I would agree make sure you're good at being a tank before you attempt to go above and beyond and try battle tanking. Don't listen to people that say you'll be a hinderer to the group or that it's stupid, etc, some powers are just naturally built to be able to battle role effectively, atomic being one of them.

Also FYI, support damage will increase with the weapon midrange anyway, making battle roles even more common.
    • Like x 1
  3. Proxystar #Perception

What can I say, I bring out the best in people

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  4. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

None of ya'll can truly disagree though, no battle support role has a place in elite DWF. Sadly there are to many that try to battle support that and other elite content.

Whitecell you have seen some of my post on here about this subject, so you know my thoughts on battle support roles already, but fatal and hymn, imo battle support roles belong in league runs, nothing else. If you LFG then you should remain a full on support role.
    • Like x 1
  5. krytine Loyal Player

Agreed there is no need to wear dps gear while tanking with atomic
    • Like x 2
  6. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

Theres no reason not to either. If your doing your role
  7. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I know your stance on battle roles. We got into a debate over it awhile ago lol. My stance remains the same though. It's not hard to do and if they can pull it off without hindering the group I say go for it. People exclude support from duos and alerts anyway cause they can't put out any sort of damage, now people whine that they're trying to put out damage :rolleyes:

Here's my disclaimer though, be good at your primary role before you try to battle spec. When I teach people celestial healing I don't even bring up the fact that it's a great battle healer because I want them to master being a regular healer first before they try something more advanced.
    • Like x 2
  8. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

ask anyone who has ran alerts or duo's with me :p

I take w/e I get in duo's and alerts, usually its 2 DPS troll heal for alerts if we out gearing it like say PZR for example or even RITr.

But if Im LFGing and a tank sends me a tell before a DPS does, I'll take that tank over the DPS for alerts. For duo's it doesn't matter what I get as I usually solo queue those anyway. Only reason I could see ppl not wanting a support is time limited or lack of burn on their part calling for an extra DPS.

But you or I? Doubt it'd matter as we would be able to solo most to all duo's laid in front of us lol

Me quoting you/Hymn wasn't meant to alter either of ya'lls opinion BTW ;)
  9. Wallachia Devoted Player

I consider myself a good healer but I don't want to battle heal :<
    • Like x 2
  10. HymnOfMercy Dedicated Player

I know full well brother. I don't even change people's stance on it. I've been doing it in pugs since AF1 dropped and the healer exclusion was real.
    The thing I'm laughing at is the irony of Proxy's post vs the history of the debate and running with Roomba.

I'm all for the "purists" and the need to keep the boundary kempt. but when its said not to use an intended mechanism of a powerset,

Or that one shouldn't utilize an in-laid or built mechanic that the power has, I take issue with that
    atomic naturally will do big damage in tank role. Celestial has a mechanism to support it doing damage in healer role. That specific move is literally the most powerful healing move even shunning most supercharges. You pump out 72-76k healing just with McB in 12 seconds. That's OVERPOWERED Burst healing. Not to mention you're getting healing from the beam of malediction and weapon attacks proc 36 times on top of that.
    Light can naturally do a high amount of damage while controlling because it can sustain hit counter. No weapon controlling is what they call it.
    • Like x 1
  11. Gimpy Loyal Player

I find it amusing when You run across a player saying They are a battle/whatever and when You inspect Them, They have on both types of gear.

It's like only wearing part of Your gear no matter which role You switch to since said gear "requires" You to be in a certain role before it is usable.
  12. Wallachia Devoted Player

Well, I mix 6 DPS gear with 6 tank gear in my main toon, which allows me to minitank many stuff.
  13. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I was referring to people in general. Hypocrites that exclude support for lack of damage but doesn't want them doing damage for whatever reason. I know you don't care what role you get in duos, I don't either. I prefer support to be honest. Especially tanks, I can go hard with my combos and not have to worry about getting hit?? Hell yeah!

As far as raids go if the run is going smoothly I'd say battle all you want. But make sure you remember what your primary role is all though. Not trying to sway you either just stating my opinion lol.
    • Like x 3
  14. krytine Loyal Player

When stats matters comes into play you won't be able to loose that much defense and dom so there will be reason to not wear dps gear in tank role as the same for healer and troll but just saying my Atomic with only a dps trinket does about 60 to 70 % of a quality dps my survivability is high because of tank gear my work is what does the damage with skill points and mods
    • Like x 1
  15. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

True what im saying some can pull it off. Having 12k might as a,tank and stilll do ur role effectivly is skill
  16. Gam3r4Lif3 Dedicated Player

This does not apply to everyone. I have ran into many battle tanks that have been better than normal tanks.

People dont usually begin doing battle roles until they have mastered the support role itself.

I am a pretty good celestial healer, so when I think im at my best I will begin to battle heal.
  17. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

I've seen some really good battle tanks. The downside is they have all been atomic. I don't know what players have against battle support. Most times you never know it's beiing done until the svorecard pop
  18. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

Proxy you need to realize Atomic is the only true battle tank in this game.

1) Neck mods do nothing so go with the might
    2) Hand mods Regen shield does not work well, so go I max damage
    3) Chest mod Core Strength vs. Healing mod again preference for an atomic tank so I go with Core Strength

Colored mods: In the blues you can go with Health and Dom but if you cannot tank all content in the game just using gear you should stop being a tank. I went with Purple mods of Might and Dom in all my red and blue sockets.

Base generator you get dom in yellow, blue is health, and red is might.

I have around 9K might, over 5 dom and around 30K health. You can easily tank all content as an atomic battle tank.

Other tanks I would not recommend going battle tank as your neck, hand and chest mods might be the difference in failure or success in content but for atomic tanking I see no impact with changing to a more battle oriented build.

When I finish DWF I was once 2nd in damage, in BN I topped the charts regularly and in other content I was a bit behind that last DPS unless all DPS were of high skill, full modded and 150+ SP.

As for tanking, Atomic also has the best pulls, so I usually have no problem keep the enemies on me while doing very good damage.

Atomic works well because you got to continue your combos anyway to reduce the damage you receive and for your self heals.

Atomic is the only battle tank in DCUO.
  19. Nebraxis Active Player

I have to say, I'm finding this debate fascinating. I'm Cr 73, running dps, but might start working on tank gear. I also have 55sp, which leads me to ask how long did it take you guys to get 100+ sp?

EDIT: Another thought occurs to me. I have seen several mentions of things like "people who just rotate powers do not know how to dps properly", but it seems to me that Atomic is most effective if you do exactly that. Rotate powers, keep quark gluon active. What are your thoughts on this, or have I misunderstood something?
  20. Wallachia Devoted Player

I don't know, brah. With Rage, Breakout Mastery + Powerback + Rage mode + That mod that gives HP regen when using Breakout make a really powerful combo for survivability. It enabled me to fill me HP and powerbar back during a boss fight.