DCUO and pets.....

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Mista E, Feb 22, 2013.

1. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

look, taking away belts, pets, etc... basically your talking about a completely stripped down mode of pvp.
    thats all well and fine, but in all reality its a completely different game than the one thats been around since launch.
    in that vein of thinking the first thing that 'went wrong' was having pvp gear at all.
    the type of game your talking about is something other mmos do, which is have a no gear pvp type mode where it equates to more of a basic multiplayer fighting game with powers.

we are light years past anything that resembles that at this point unless you look at pre-lvl 30 arenas.
    pre-level 30 arenas give you the best idea of just a stripped down mode would be like.
    alot of people including myself really enjoy those pre lvl 30 arenas for that reason.

However, at this point... 2 years of compiled additions to pvp, i personally think just stripping away 'this' or 'that' would for one not work because of the balancing built along side the changes.

Moreso though, there is absolutely no reason to take anything away, but if anything there should be two options for arenas-- stripped down/hardcore and then 'as is'/everything modes.

to be completely honest i like both ways.
    a year ago i was even screaming to keep pets, etc out of arenas along with everyone else, but then i kept an open mind and now i actually enjoy the tactics of the mobs and using different abilites, trinkets etc.

also, after running competitive 5s with the tourney leagues for awhile i realized that they were just handcuffing what the game can be, and i think it was the least fun i ever had pvping.
    If i wanted to just play a stripped down fighting game i'd grab a gamestick and play some Street Fighter.
    this is a MMO and i now view arenas as more than just a fighting game, but also something akin to a RTS game.

Really, the only solution at this point to appease people is 2 modes.
    though, be careful what you ask for and don't come crying when queue times are doubled.o_O
    • Like x 2
  2. YodaDog New Player

Im not trying to discredit you, friend. Just tryin to figure out where you're coming from. Meanwhile, you were doing a great job of that all by yourself from where Im sitting.

@SlayingDemon: I like that idea. I also dont see why arenas/legends shouldnt drop some triumph. Given that now we need triumph to progress in PvP... With the conversion, I guess its pretty much the same idea..

But I made a thread when Home Turf first dropped and suggested Triumph start dropping in arenas. That idea was shot down pretty hard though..
  3. YodaDog New Player

meh.. I hear you, its a good point. But all powersets would be less optimized. You may have to pick up Wired where you normally wouldnt.. A small price to pay though, for a real clean easy fix to Pet-aggedon.
    • Like x 1
  4. Orochimaru-Sama New Player

+1,000,000 this

absolute fact

this is exactly why i'm going so hard on this thread
  5. Madholm New Player

I love DCUO so just remove the ability to summon pets in arena completely; excluding the ones from your power bar for obvious reasons. All the pets from trinkets has made pvp suffer and I especially feel bad for ps3 players where it literally breaks the game and not just game balance.
    I'd actually prefer if you just removed utility belts from arena completely; or have a preloaded belt for pvp that auto equipped on entry and we can't remove it. It's additional slots would be unlocked along with our pve belts. For the 4 slots I'm thinking pvp breakout, h0t/p0t, 20% stat boost, 10 second damage immunity.
  6. theTHRUSTER New Player

Im in favor of a Barebones/Hardcore Q system. The players that enjoy pets & HomeTurf goodies can continue to Q arenas normally. All the O.G. Veteran pvpers who enjoy a challenge ( & a fair fight based on skill & reaction time) can Q Hardcore. Same exact arenas, same objectives. Simply disable non-power based pets. Let the seasonal trinkets still give a stat boost, but no pet will summon. Idc if the Q for Hardcore took longer. I'll gladly wait an hour for real competition. Or like Mista E said. Give us lobbies where certain features could be toggled. Let the teams decide beforehand what stays & goes.
    • Like x 1
  7. Spidersting Committed Player

Instead of taking away the Utility belts maybe they just put a general Cooldown on the whole belt. Something like 2mins would be good.

So say you have a 4 slot belt, you use your breakout trinket all items on the belt go on CD for 2mins. Basicly this allows players to have the stuff they want on the belts but requires a bit of strategy as to what they want to use on the belt because of the lock out timer to use another item off the belt.
  8. 478874 Dedicated Player

I've played against Sama plenty of times, he is a good player. Better than most guys with 120+ SP. Guy knows the mechanics and has a good sense of timing.
  9. phen0mena Committed Player

An alternative if everyone is so opposed to having their trick bags taken away (Love the part on strategy... yeah right mash all the things is NOT strategy, healed just find as electric without any of this too, before going back sorc as it was my launch power), perhaps another solution;

Simply allow only the first belt slot, ala 1 trinket in PvP. It can be anything, even a freakin' pet for those that need them, but only 1 trinket in PvP. Have it 'lock' on entering an arena so that players aren't switching them all over. I would prefer no pets, as this would still allow up to 8+ power-set pets, but it's a COMPROMISE.

We are just in too much excess. There is most definitely a point of 'too much'.
    I think this is a fair compromise. For the inept that need help or a crutch to compete, you still have it, but only 1 thing. Not this orbital, sidekick, henchmen, boo, etc junk. Those that feel their skill level doesn't require the help of tricks will use the PvP trinket as par for the course.

Probably the best compromise.

EDIT* and no marketplace pet things at all. 1 trinket slot or bust.
    • Like x 2
  10. YodaDog New Player

YaY! +1
  11. Horrorshow New Player

The henchmen are an interesting addition. Like I said in my thread, I think they should take up a power-slot. It should have a long cool down like the legend summons. If they change it to take up a power-slot than people will have to think twice about abusing it. The same goes for anything else home turf related.
  12. Aqua New Player

+2 I just realized that I have a 4 wildcard belt and that I could put henchman, orbital, and supply drop, as well as a marketplace trink or boo or sea creature trink on my 4th slot for maximum griefing. That just shouldn't be possible from an arena standpoint. Let's not forget I can be a doosh and get robot sidekick too.
  13. NelsonMuntz New Player

lol. thats hilarious. and spot on. +3. No belts would be a great fix.
  14. theTHRUSTER New Player

Look, it's pretty clear that the Devs favor Pve in this game. Removing belts & all the new Home Turf goodies would be a major win for the hardcore pvp community. But I don't think it'll happen. Since this argument is about pve (ie pets, seasonal trinks, HT trinks) in pvp. Simply removing all of it from Pvp is not a "compromise". Unless the cheese balls who exploit that garbage can continue to do so, you'll end up seeing countless " I spent x amount of triumph on blah blah blah and I can't even use it" threads. That's why I back a lobby system or normal/hardcore Qing. It's win win. Let those guys that prefer fighting with pets have their zoo. If you're above that crap, Q hardcore.
  15. LORD_SHOCKA New Player

And by the time they find a way to make a "hardcore Q", PS4 will come out and none of it will matter.
    • Like x 1
  16. phen0mena Committed Player

Perhaps you didn't read my offer for a solution?
    Just limit belts to first slot only in PvP, with no restrictions on that slot. So if said player wants to use some base item or pet, they are free too, but at cost.

So those that want to use all this stuff still can, just not all of it at once, one after the other etc.
    For those clamoring on 'strategy or tact' this would also give some actual strategy and tact in what would you choose, over spam everything.

EDIT* The only reason I offer this over alternate que, is there simply isn't enough to support both.
  17. theTHRUSTER New Player

I read your post. It's an idea, but would still allow cheesy pets. Far less then before, which is an improvement, but I'd prefer Yoda's no belt solution if it came to that. The fact that Mepps actually commented on a thread like this with "we're listening" is a step in the right direction. I like your idea. I like Yoda's too. Keep posting ideas people. Anything is better then what we got now.
  18. SlayingDaimon New Player

Oh, I got it. You know how there's a missing iconic power? How about making it into a AOE that makes NPC's allied for 10 seconds?
  19. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

had to LOL @ this.
    we're never gettin that back man.
    you could make every player walk into arenas naked with only their powers and we still wouldnt have the fast paced PvP of 2 years ago.
    thats the thing people dont realize.

none of the pet/belt/mainframe junk has anything to do with the current state of pvp being so pitiful... how about lets go back to Last Laugh when actually most of the "O.G Veteran" players left for good, lol.
    every since the change in counter mechanics and block mechanics pvp has been 110% different game than before.
    the past aint ever comin back.

this is why i just have to laugh at people all up tight about mainframes and pets... i mean, seriously who cares? --SKILL IN ARENAS LEFT THE BUILDING 9 MONTHS AGO PEOPLE!
    so really, spawn a million pets and nukes and whatver. just have some fun for crying out loud.

smh.
    • Like x 2
  20. theTHRUSTER New Player

This coming from the guy heading up the fight for the no-damage-bug fix makes me sad. You obviously care about pvp & the state it's in or you wouldn't be on the forums trying to improve things. I'm with you man. I thumbed up your thread and offered feedback for a fix. I agree, the fast paced matches are gone and never coming back. I apologize if I came off condescending earlier but you gotta understand that nothing changes without constructive feedback. Realize that ending a post with smh offers little help to the devs.