Livestream Celebrate DCUO's 5th Anniversary with Kinda Funny Games!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astral Lantern Well-Known Player

If you were not subbed during those times your not....and should not be entitled to it.
    • Like x 5
  2. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

They cannot give out preorder items as it would breach the "exclusive" contract that those people signed up for (as in buying them). This includes: the original Batman skin & Joker blimp/Batdrone from the pre-order editions, as well as the Batman-inspired mask/Two-face mask & Survive the Hack feat for the SOE hack of 2011.

I do not think that the Year 1 Cape, year 2 fireworks & cake trinkets, years 3 & 4 base decorations should ever be brought back. Similarly, Servo, TOM-Bot, & Partially Assimilated Servo need to stay exclusive.

I wouldn't mind the Tinfoil hat and the Unicorn, Trinket being brought back, just because those were April Fools jokes...however I can see the argument of why they should stay exclusive as well.

I get how it can be frustrating to miss out on these items. I will never have the pre-order Batman, Harley's Hammer, Wonder Woman's bracers, and a couple of different items that were given away from their facebook page when the game first started. However, thems the breaks and we have to live with it.

See above.

EDIT:
    *steps off of soap box*

I'm very excited for this year. The tease of the Bombshells poster and DBG emblem is sweet.
    • Like x 3
  3. TheLegendaryBeast New Player

Am i the only one worried we are just gonna get more posters for the anniversary? Can we actually get something of greater value?
  4. Corsair X Well-Known Player

I hope anniversary gift is something other then a cape,fireworks, or cake. Ive been playing since day one and they seem kinda lame. I really want a combat pet that is equal to your challenge rating. Higher tier characters have no pets unless sorcery or earth.
  5. Methos New Player

So are these "kinda fun" things going to be for everyone? or just paying subs?
  6. Belthazur Dedicated Player

Ohh Yea...I cant Wait.
    I wonder what the Anniversary Gift will be this Year :p

However I do Believe (And I am one of those and Several Leaguemates Agree)
    If they Offered The Anniversary POSTERS in the Marketplace. WE Would ALL Buy Them. The Fireworks should be a Given Every Year IMO
  7. Veritasum Loyal Player

It just so happens that it's a holiday here in Colombia on the 11th. Cool, got something to do now.
  8. Coulromaniac Dedicated Player

Uck, not this spiel again. Look, if saying this would shut people up about these items, we would've stop asking for them already.

I respect you Black Dawn, but I am firmly anti-exclusive items.
    I think they are among the worst aspects of online MMORPGs,
    and I don't think any defense of them is worthy of notice.

Legal stuff aside, I think they should make new contracts to eventually, heck, even YEARS from now,
    add the stuff that was handed out or "earned" before to the Marketplace.
  9. Veritasum Loyal Player

Any defense of non exclusive items as the only way to hand out items in MMOPRPGs can also be, not worthy of notice. No way to promote something that way.

I don't believe that equal distribution should be possible. It should be completely up to the individual to attain what they want. Instead of waiting to be given something I should do something for it or be there at the right time. And if I'm not there, then somebody else gets to tell the story. Just me though.
    • Like x 2
  10. Coulromaniac Dedicated Player

All I read was "blah blah blah tough ****, you shoulda been there when they handed it out"

Look, I'm firm in my stance, and I'm not going to have this discussion again.

I know how frustrated I was when it was me who missed out,
    and players in the future will feel that frustration and disappointment as well.

(and then some like you who are just "Meh, I'm okay with it" sure,
    but plenty of people will actually care, plenty of people do)

Compassion guides my sense of right and wrong.
    Exclusive items are ultimately wrong, in that sense.

+ most of that stuff, aside from the preorder and special editions, aren't even promotion.
    It was just stuff that got handed out ceremoniously.

Should put it all in the marketplace.
    That way players don't feel screwed over,
    and Daybreak makes cash.

Yes, there will be legalities that make that difficult,
    but I don't think it's entirely impossible if they can make it
    mutually beneficial for everyone.
  11. TrueArchon Dedicated Player

I want a base sparring target that is perfectly identical to Klarion's cat in every way, except that it has birthday balloons tied to it's tail, and when I'm testing my loadouts and damage, it howls in pain and writhes in agony...and the balloons pop.
    • Like x 1
  12. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

They can't.

I respect you too Cloulromaniac.

However, I am also firm in my stance.

Making these items available for all would not be mutually beneficial for anyone. It would be like going back in time and stealing money from those who paid for the exclusivity of pre-order Batman skin and Batdrone. Those people spent at least $100 for the collectors edition. Would that skin and drone be $100 on the marketplace?

Also, Mepps has said several times (the most recent one that I saw was during the "Free Legends Day") that pre-order Batman would never be released to the general public.

I understand that you are against exclusive items, however the DEVs would be running a shady business if they promised exclusivity and then reneged.

Should top level gear be placed in the marketplace? I mean it's only fair that they do so right? Not everyone is able to beat the content. That exclusivity is bad! People would pay money to get the top gear! It's good for the game.

No. No, it would not be good for the game.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*steps off of soap box again*
    This discussion is off topic so I am glad that you don't want to have it anymore.
    • Like x 4
  13. TrueArchon Dedicated Player

So how DOES a slice of your buddy's birthday cake taste, months heck even years after the party you missed? Oh that's right...there aren't any more slices. Too bad...should have been there. And if, by some miracle; you DO somehow magic up a year old (or more)slice of birthday cake...I'll agree with you 100% if I see you eat it in person.
    • Like x 2
  14. KidSuperBoy Well-Known Player

WOW! I can't believe it's been 5 years.:) I got both the PSN and PC version in January 2011 to be followed by my 1st very own PS3 that February for my birthday.:cool: I just want to say thanks and to congratulate everyone who had anything to do with DCUO what so ever. LOL. I've been a long time DC Comics fan and may have even coined the phrase "Like a kid in a comic book store".:D Which will pretty much paint the picture!:) Also in capitulation it had been a dream of mine since I've known we can enter "Fortress of Solitude, The Chasm" solo in game, to complete it solo. I did that this year!:cool: Whew! Thanks again to everyone who made DCUO possible and to all the players, I will always love you for it...,;)

Main Avatar: Future Kal 148 CR 176 SP Power Ice DPS. USPC Meta Hero.League: USPC :Justice League DC, Leader.
    USPS :LSH Elseworlds leader Kid Kal 145 CR 116 SP Ice Tank.
    Alts Include: Guardian El, Guardian Kal, Future Blurr, Kid Superboyistic, Lantern Kal, Kal Starchild, Future Superboyistic,, Clarky Kent, and Super Spaceboy, Quantum Kal, and Superboyistic.

15. KidSuperBoy Well-Known Player

WOW! I can't believe it's been 5 years.:) I got both the PSN and PC version in January 2011 to be followed by my 1st very own PS3 that February for my birthday.:cool: I just want to say thanks and to congratulate everyone who had anything to do with DCUO what so ever. LOL. I've been a long time DC Comics fan and may have even coined the phrase "Like a kid in a comic book store".:D Which will pretty much paint the picture!:) Also in capitulation it had been a dream of mine since I've known we can enter "Fortress of Solitude, The Chasm" solo in game, to complete it solo. I did that this year!:cool: Whew! Thanks again to everyone who made DCUO possible and to all the players, I will always love you for it...,;)

Main Avatar: Future Kal 148 CR 176 SP Power Ice DPS. USPC Meta Hero.League: USPC :Justice League DC, Leader.
    USPS :LSH Elseworlds leader Kid Kal 145 CR 116 SP Ice Tank.
    Alts Include: Guardian El, Guardian Kal, Future Blurr, Kid Superboyistic, Lantern Kal, Kal Starchild, Future Superboyistic,, Clarky Kent, and Super Spaceboy, Quantum Kal, and Superboyistic.

16. Coulromaniac Dedicated Player

Terrible analogy, frankly.

I might not be able to eat that cake since it's gone,
    but I can buy cake at Walmart or somewhere else,
    and my sister makes great cake since she used to be a baker for a living.

What is happening here is not the Birthday cake running out-
    it's like all cake all over the world is no longer sold and people are forbidden from making it.

There's a big difference between missing out on free cake at a party, and a global cake ban.
    Just going by your analogy.
  17. Coulromaniac Dedicated Player

Spytle also said time and time again that Water power would never be a thing, right?
    Maybe circumstances will change, and they'll find a way to make it happen.

How on EARTH did you go from that, to buying better gear in the Marketplace? That was some kinda jump.
    I'm pretty gosh darn sure nobody with any sense wants that.

- and hey, nobody would be losing money either. They got it years before everyone else, and they got their "bragging rights" :rolleyes:

Worst case scenario, they could give them some Daybreak cash as reimbursement.

Seriously, a promotional currency that works just as well as DBC to get premium items like replay badges, styles etc.
    that's a pretty good idea.

Whenever there's something like this, or other situations where players get cheated out of what they pay for, like when the game goes down for 2-3 days during someone's all access membership, they can be reimbursed.

- and let's be real, they're already shady, at least this way they compensate us for their shadyness...

Besides, people who want to get something just to have it and be able to rub it in everyone else's faces and show off
    are toxic anyway. I have no respect for them.

Since we're both firm in our position, I guess we have to respectfully disagree.
    I don't really want to continue this discussion either, I didn't even want to HAVE IT.

I made a comment, and everyone gotta respond snidely.
    Well, not everyone, but still...
  18. Lord Jareth Steadfast Player

The Hype is real i wanna know what's going to Happen DCUO IS AWESOME i love the bombshell poster.... no i don't have a problem
  19. Neidler123 Dedicated Player

Congrats on five years here's to five more
    • Like x 1
  20. SnowStar Committed Player

Here's to 5 more years! :):D
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.