Armories Arrive in DCUO Next Week!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Captain Liberty, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperiorMouse New Player

after sleeping on this more and giving it more thought -- this is where i'm at with this:

i'm honestly not sure why everyone thinks this feature adds a new dimension of gameplay to the game. it doesn't -- don't believe all the marketing and PR hype. there aren't layers and layers of new strategy to this feature.

it allows you to respec on the fly essentially between save points. these save points also contain saves for your appearance and that's all! the only thing this allows you to do is save the trip to the respec station and go straight into your content. this is hardly revolutionary strategy -- the game really should have been designed to allow that without the need for a feature like this (but anyhow).

this feature is entirely convenience and cosmetic, and not gameplay affecting. you're not more powerful for having armouries... you're just more time efficient.

for what this feature offers ... a consumable, character bound, loadout savepoint, and a single imprint swap during combat every 10mins -- $8 is absurd. only players very serious about endgame will really buy into this. the pricing should have been much lower -- it's a consumable microtransaction! pricing it very low would have made players not concerned about how much they spend on these ... they would have been popped in by everyone with an alt like candy. delete the character? who cares if the price is low enough... but they're not priced like this. instead they're priced as a literal investment in your endgame character and because of that they're not going to fly off the shelves. players will workout exactly how many they need and only buy that many with no additional purchases down the road. long term sales aren't likely and only immediate revenue will occur when this goes live. if they were priced like candy you could expect them to sell extremely well immediately and continue to sell regularly far into the future. classic north american business myopia. sacrifice long term stability for a short term hit of cash that dries up.

for $8 you can put any restrictions you want on them i guess BUT i want the armoury to be account bound. i want it to contain multiple transformation visuals options at launch. i want a more appealing visual style to go with my bases also. and if it'll do my laundry and wash my dishes, you should get that in too. -- with the point obviously being that the higher that price is, the more i'm expecting from this "feature".

this is far more realistic.

you should probably use the test server yourself before getting into this aspect of the discussion. most of the players who have tested the armouries do not like the appearances.
    • Like x 12
  2. Lacedog Loyal Player

i havent read every page, i mostly looked for green name responses. so im sure my point has already been made, but...

i spend enough on the game. legendary for nearly 3 years, and i do spend a ridiculous amount of money on power respec tokens. these announced prices are crazy. i had intentions of getting at least 3 more to go with the free one, but now im thinking none, maybe even quitting the game. I only play one character. there is no way im paying $60 to get a reasonable price apiece on these things. if this is the direction the game is going to go to get more money, i dont see a reason to continue to play. if people arent shelling enough money on legendary subscriptions, do you think they are going to go for those prices? insane.
    • Like x 11
  3. Drathmor Unwavering Player

no i havent but its how it was setup did it change? if so thats messed up they take a idea we came up with to apease the people who didnt want more than there free one and locked it out were you cant do it that would be a very low blow by the devs and they should be called out on it
    • Like x 1
  4. tukuan Devoted Player

It could also be so that the numbers better rounded, $40 to $60 looks better than $40 to $64, but who knows?
  5. Jafin 10000 Post Club

It's been said since GU33 went on test on 17th of December that you can't imprint if you have more than 10 Skill Points or 3 Power Points unspent. They probably did this because so many people said they were just going to use the one free armory as a free respec, so this was done to put a stop to it in order to generate sales.
    • Like x 4
  6. Myrdin69 New Player

exactly

i just got an idea that could satisfy both soe and the playerbase, how about leave those price as they are now, but add another armory that doesn't have the save style option for 4-5$ ?
  7. Drathmor Unwavering Player

thanks for clarifying the comment if this is true and it was changed to lock out respecs inorder to force people to buy more I will have to really think hard if i want to give them a single penny for even one of them as that would be a definitive statement saying we see what your planning to do it you just have one and its like them saying screw your ingenuity were going to make you buy more or you cant use it. they will lose my money if that stays how they impliment it
    • Like x 3
  8. Jamie New Player

I can't on my main and I only have 106 SP's. You can only have 10 unspent SP and 3 unspent PP. No free respec here.
    • Like x 3
  9. Valsmurf Loyal Player

That's the problem right there. Why make it a luxury item only for deep pocketed players? They could easily make it a convenience item for most everyone instead of making it another item for elitists to brag about and exclude people with.

Also, why do people keep comparing to a pack of cigs in the U.S? Not everyone smokes, not everyone lives in the U.S, not everyone has the disposable income to spend 60 bucks.Not everyone is you.
    • Like x 6
  10. thenewkidd New Player

What about 10$ for an Iconic PVP toon..
    what about 10$ to change your power.. 10$ to change your movement..
    10$ for another Lair style othe than Deco or Gothic and another 3$ on top of it if you want another deed... 10$ to change your name?

and you know what.. there are sales too.. and I suspect you will be able to use those "50% off sales" in the future (as I'm sure there will be one again some time)... buy some of those things at half price.

People... you might be upset at the prices of these armories, but you don't have to buy them..
  11. Valsmurf Loyal Player

That is how it currently is working in test center, yes. This obviously can be changed rather quickly since it wasn't like that on the live stream we had a few days before it went on Test, so it's not set in stone.

There have been a few other times where they did something similar just to see if they could get away with it, but ended up being reasonable and listening to us. The one i remember most clearly is when they made the mainframe boosts cost more than 2k cash cap so that only legendaries could use them. People raged and they reverted it to being available to all who bought the dlc.
  12. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

We've been calling the devs on it throughout this thread. That's [one of the reasons] why people are so angry about the price. If they're going to change the original functionality, they should at least meet us halfway with a better price point so the armories are useful to us.
    • Like x 2
  13. Oel Em Well-Known Player

Name change, power change, movement change, etc are priced fairly compared to other games. Where the armory hits home, is that multispec options, in general, are a free service provided in almost every game. I made a list several pages back that compared other games on the market. DCUO is the ONLY game we could come up with that charges for Multispec. That is why there is outrage. It is bad enough we get charged for it (after it was originally announced to the community as a feature in a DLC), but to get charged a price that at best is over half of a monthly sub. I doubt many of us are going to have our wallets broke by $8, but why pay for a service that should be either free or part of a one time DLC purchase as we have seen in other games. At least that is my beef with it.
    • Like x 3
  14. Drathmor Unwavering Player

you should probably use the test server yourself before getting into this aspect of the discussion. most of the players who have tested the armouries do not like the appearances.[/quote]

not to be picky or cause a argument but do you know every person on test personnaly and can speak for everyone I doubt it very much its fine if you dont like the look of them but to speak for everyone saying most dont like them is reaching. I accept that you personally dont like them and possiably your friends but that doesnt include the rest of the player base on the forums that have seen them or the mulitude of players that know very little if anything about them yet. just making a point
  15. Doc Holliday New Player

$5 each seems to be the community's response to the prices...
    Any chance this will be heard before it goes live?
  16. Jamie New Player

PVP toons and Lair styles are account wide. Very few people would be complaining if the armories cost $10 and were account wide.

Power, movement, and name change tokens are really very different animals. First, there is no other way to do these exept buy the tokens. Secondly, these serve no purpose in an instance so no elitist will make them a requirement to run content. The armories will add enough to have some people require them and to think otherwise is either naive or just shows that you are not familiar with the community. I run with a great league so I won't have issues finding a group but others will.
    • Like x 3
  17. Dr Improbable Dedicated Player

So buy the multi packs. You can share them with all your toons. How is the company obliged to provided a convenience item for everyone? I guarantee you COULD afford $8.00 if you wanted to, but you WON'T spend that much.

No one's going to exclude you for not having an armory. Just go respect then. You'll get one for free. These items will be on sale at some point.

I'm NOT defending the price point, but it's an item I want, and I will purchase. In your mind anyone who can afford more than you have is an elitist. No matter what the price was, there would be people on here complaining that it's too much. You don't NEED it to enjoy the game.
  18. SuperiorMouse New Player

yes. of course i do. /sarcasm

now i realize english isn't your native language -- but please, don't put words in my mouth. i never claimed to speak for everyone or anyone at all. what i did was point out that aside from the new revelation of this pricing -- the largest complaint about armouries has been that players are mostly unhappy with the appearance of the armouries.

so, instead of getting picky and picking an argument ( :p ) ... get on test server yourself and decide. additionally, you can read the feedback thread to see exactly who has tested this feature, their names and exactly what they thought of it -- including the appearance.
    • Like x 1
  19. Galadorn New Player

Who wants to pay more? I got an idea! lets make a player database that pays anything no matter what and the rest of us!

As they dont mind paying more, lets say they pay the difference with all the rest of us? isnt it great?
    • Like x 3
  20. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Hi all - just dropping by to again thank everyone for the discussions so far, and to let you know we are reading every post and taking them into account.
    • Like x 16
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.