Full Water powerset trees (#2)

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Lynx, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Lynx Committed Player

Updated from the first thread, I've implemented some of the things that were discussed about there and changed several of the abilities to create a little more focus with each tree and more unique power mechanics.
    The original thread, if anyone is interested in checking it out, is here:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/full-water-powerset-trees.157884/

Description:
    Control water in all its forms, from the rain in the air to the vast oceans, to wash away your enemies and rejuvenate your allies. Call forth creatures from the bottomless depths of the sea to aid you in combat, and wield the ancient magics of atlantis.

Unique Power Mechanics:

The Drowning Power Interaction, inflicted and utilized by abilities in the hydrokinesis tree, provides additional damage or healing for certain abilities.

The Feeding Frenzy Power Interaction, inflicted and utilized by abilities in the aquamancy tree, increases damage dealt by some creature-based abilities.

Tide Effects:

High Tide and Low Tide function in a manner similar to earth's aftershocks system.
    To execute a High Tide effect, a left click (melee attack) is used after specific abilities.
    To execute a Low Tide effect, a right click (ranged attack) is used after specific abilities.

For the Hydrokinesis tree, High Tide will pull enemies towards the caster and deal additional damage, while Low Tide will push enemies away from the caster and deal additional damage. For the Aquamancy tree, High Tide increases the area or number of enemies that an ability effects, while Low Tide consumes an ability's normal over-time effect to generate an instant effect.

High Tide and Low Tide effects deal precision-based damage, where applicable.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Masters of hydrokinesis are able to control water at will, regardless of the form it is in. Pulling moisture from the air to form flash floods, or sucking the water directly from their enemies to leave behind nothing more than a pile of ash, Hydrokineticists wield one of the most powerful elements of nature. Just as it can be a force for destruction, however, water is also a force for rejuvenation and replenishment, and by cleansing and rehydrating their allies, hydrokineticists can heal and support other heroes in combat.

Waterball
    Condense a ball of water from the air around you to hurl at your target, dealing damage and knocking it down.
    Power Interactions: Drowns enemies, making them vulnerable to drowning power interactions.
    Damage Role: Increases all damage by 35% until the hit counter resets (minimum 5 seconds)

Rehydrate
    Replenish yourself and your most injured teammate, restoring health instantly.
    Damage Role: Increases all damage by 35% until the hit counter resets (minimum 5 seconds)
    Healer Role: Additional healing over time.

Tidal Wave
    Unleash a conical wave of water against enemies in front of you, dealing damage and knocking down effected targets.
    Power Interactions: Drowning enemies take additional damage.
    High Tide: Pulls enemies towards you, dealing additional precision-based damage.
    Low Tide: Pushes enemies away from you, dealing additional precision-based damage.

Waterspout
    Blasts an enemy with a channeled beam of water, stunning the target and dealing damage over the duration.

Monsoon (Supercharge: 50%)
    Creates a heavy rainstorm over a large area around you, restoring health and power over time to yourself and up to 7 group members.

Typhoon (Supercharge: 50%)
    Creates a tropical storm around you, stunning nearby enemies and dealing heavy damage over time.

Stream
    Links you and up to three team members with a channeled restorative water stream, healing over the duration.
    Damage Role: Increases all damage by 40% until the hit counter resets (minimum 5 seconds)

Whirlpool
    Create a vortex of water underfoot, knocking down and dealing damage to nearby enemies.
    High Tide: Pulls enemies towards you and inflicts additional precision-based damage over time.
    Low Tide: Pushes enemies away from you and inflicts additional precision-based damage.
    Damage Role: Increases all damage by 40% until the hit counter resets (minimum 5 seconds)

Dehydrate
    Forcefully pull the water out of an opponent's body while channeling, dealing damage to the target and healing yourself over the duration.
    Power Interactions: Drowning enemies provide additional healing to you over the duration.

Deluge
    Creates a torrential downpour of water to heal yourself and nearby group members. Increased healing for each player in range.
    Damage Role: Increases all damage by 50% until the hit counter resets (minimum 5 seconds)
    Healer Role: Also restores power over time to effected allies.

Tsunami
    Creates an outward-expanding wave that damages and stuns all nearby enemies.
    Power Interactions: Drowns enemies, causing them to become vulnerable to drowning power interactions.
    High Tide: Pulls enemies towards you, inflicing additional precision-based damage.
    Low Tide: Pushes enemies away from you, inflicting additional precision-based damage.
    Damage Role: Increases all damage by 50% until the hit counter resets (minimum 5 seconds)

Geyser
    Create a geyser beneath the target, sending it and all nearby enemies flying into the air and inflicting damage and damage over time.
    healer Role: Heals allies near the geyser.
    • Like x 113
  2. Lynx Committed Player

[IMG]

[IMG]

Calling upon ancient atlantean magics, create water portals to summon forth creatures from the bottomless depths of the ocean to assist you and your team in combat. Aquamancers control the magical aspects of the water, and are able to communicate with all of the creatures therein.

Trident
    Summons a trident formed of heavy water to pierce your target, dealing damage and knocking the enemy back.
    Power Interactions: Inflicts Feeding Frenzy, causing the target to be vulnerable to Feeding Frenzy Power Interactions.

Piranha Swarm
    Summon a frenzied swarm of piranhas to snap at your target, dealing damage over time.
    Power Interactions: Feeding Frenzy increases damage over time.
    High Tide: Causes the piranha swarm to spread to up to 2 additional nearby enemies.
    Low Tide: Consumes piranha swarm's damage over time effect to deal instant precision-based damage to the target.

Electric Eel
    Entangles your target with an electric eel, reducing the target's damage and defense.
    Power Interactions: Electrifies enemies, making them vulnerable to electrified power interactions.
    High Tide: Summons additional eels to effect up to two more nearby enemies.
    Low Tide: Consumes the debuff effect to stun the target.
    Healer Role: Heals allies who attack the target.

Brine Hatchling (Tanking Pet)
    Summon an atlantean brine hatchling to assist you in combat. The brine hatchling will taunt enemies if your health drops below 40%.

Leviathan (Supercharge: 25%)
    Call upon the leviathan, causing massive tentacles to burst forth from the ground underneath nearby enemies, encasing them and inflicting damage over time.

Brine Swarm (Supercharge: 100%)
    Summons 4 Brine Hatchlings to attack and taunt enemies for 60 seconds or until killed.

Jellyfish
    Summons a giant jellyfish above your target, encasing it and dealing damage over time.
    Power Interactions: Feeding Frenzy increases damage over time.

Tidepool
    Create a tidepool at your feet, dealing damage over time to enemies within the area and healing over time to allies within the area.
    High Tide: Increases the size of the tide pool, effecting a larger area.
    Low Tide: Consumes the tidepool for instant precision-based damage and healing to all enemies and allies within the area.
    Healer Role: Increased healing over time.

Deep one (Damage Pet)
    Summon an ancient creature from the depths to assist you in combat.

Sharkbite
    Summon a giant shark to snap at your target, dealing damage. Inflicts additional damage against enemies below 35% health.
    Power Interactions: Feeding Frenzy increases damage dealt.

Submerge
    Submerges nearby enemies, dealing damage over time.
    Power Interactions: Inflicts Drowning, Feeding Frenzy, and Crushing, causing enemies to become vulnerable to those Power Interactions.

Siren (Healing Pet)
    Summon a mermaid-like Siren. The siren will stun enemies using a sonic scream, and will heal you and your allies.
    Healer Role: Increases healing done by the Siren.
    • Like x 93
  3. Toxiic Committed Player

I love it! Its like sorcery nature and earth mixed in one so now all the devs have to do is make it happen. Great job Lynx!
    • Like x 7
  4. Lynx Committed Player

That's pretty much what I was going for, though I modelled a lot of the healing off of electricity too =P
    • Like x 4
  5. Sore Steadfast Player

I would consider naming the two trees "Splish" and "Splash"
    • Like x 25
  6. Lynx Committed Player

Very funny -_-
    • Like x 7
  7. AIpha New Player

I must say this looks great. I see you used some of the PIs/Powers that I suggested bravo. My only gripe is the Monsoon Supercharge. An area of effect healing supercharge is a BIG disadvantage in both PvP and PvE. I would suggest making it a normal healing supercharge similar to this: Rehydrate(50%): Revitalize yourself and 7 teammates by rehydrating their bodies restoring health and power.
    • Like x 3
  8. Lynx Committed Player

It's meant to be different from the other healing styles, and depending on the size of the AoE I dont see a huge problem with it. Even on fairly mobile fights you can alternate between the tank and the group moving into the area.
    • Like x 3
  9. Larfleeze New Player

I sure am glad that the people on the forums aren't devs.
  10. Senshirou Committed Player

I was kind of over the whole water power idea but has piqued my interest. Keep up the good work.
    • Like x 2
  11. sean04122009 Well-Known Player

I love that you also took in the aftershock mechanics for water but 3 things thing i have to ask.
    1) Why not have a high or low tide produce additional waves sense its taking after the aftershock? Like tidal wave you have low and high tide. Once i cast tidal wave and use a High tide can i constantly press the meele or range button to produce additional waves?
    2) Why not have high or low tides work in the advantage of the healers?
    3)Your high and low tide option is giving us a choice to use either or but u reap the same benefits. Why not something different?
    Few suggestion about high and low tide.
    High tide-range might base or high tide - dps
    low tide-melee precision base or low-tide- healer (i say this because as a healer your damage is lowered)
    This way giving the player to spec as the see fits and adding the first power to have the (same ability) to scale to either might or pre.

Tidal Wave
    Unleash a conical wave of water against enemies in front of you, dealing damage and knocking down effected targets.
    High Tide: Sends out 2 additional waves at your target that Pushes enemies towards you dealing additional might-based damage.
    Low Tide: Sends out 2 additional waves that Pushes enemies away from you, dealing additional precision-based damage.
    Healer role: Tidal wave heal all nearby enemies

Like tide pool i kept the same description but Have high tide might base and low tide precision base but as a healer using either or will increase your area heal

Tidepool
    Create a tidepool at your feet, dealing damage over time to enemies within the area and healing over time to allies within the area.
    High Tide: Increases the size of the tide pool, effecting a larger area.might based damage
    Low Tide: Increases the size of the tide pool, effecting a larger area.precision-based damage and healing to all enemies and allies within the area.
    Healer Role: Increased healing over time.
    • Like x 4
  12. Jurgen Blitz Dedicated Player

Deep one FTW. CTHULHU PHTHANG!!!
    • Like x 2
  13. Lynx Committed Player

Because I didnt want it to be -exactly- like aftershocks, only similar. I wanted water to have it's own unique mechanic.

Aftershocks give you additional effects (either up to 3 or unlimited) for lower power cost. High tide/low tide dont cost power, only have one effect (cannot be used more than once) and are simply additional aspects to each ability to change how it is used.

TBH this was more of an oversight and because I couldnt find any sensible ways to include the tide effects on the healing abilities.

The tide effects are meant to make the ability useful for different purposes. If you're a melee character, utilizing the high tide effects pulls the target into range, and can be used to pull targets away from allies that are about to die in pvp. For ranged characters, you can use low tide to get distance between you and a target to open up some slower ranged attacks.

I also made the tide effects precision based because we dont have a precision based healer power at the moment - earth is precision based through it's aftershocks for tanking, while hard light is precision based for controllers.
    • Like x 1
  14. Toxiic Committed Player

Wouldn't the tide effects require higher dominance because its sort of a control ability to pull or push enemies back like tanks. Also making the effects might based would make it useless as a healer imo which is why I would keep it precision based.
    • Like x 1
  15. Lynx Committed Player

That too, most healers will have more precision than might, due to using weapon attacks to recharge power.
  16. Critics New Player

I love it!! Also the fact you took your own time to create this!! Magnificent!
    • Like x 2
  17. Critics New Player

Lots of DoTs too!
    • Like x 1
  18. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Haha yes, I was thinking it felt more like a mix of Sorcery and Electricity myself. This sounds like a really good set, I hope that if (or when) the devs decide to do a water set that they take a few cues from this. I really like the idea of having a rain cloud above an area much like Circle of Protection.
    • Like x 3
  19. Toxiic Committed Player

That would look pretty cool. Seeing a cloud raining on Circle of Protection both healing everyone :D
    • Like x 1
  20. MadFacedKid Active Player

Stupid and Stupad. Love the idea for watah powahs :)