Kristyana's Incredibly Detailed Fire Tank Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Kristyana, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Kristyana New Player

Looks like I over-reserved :p Feel free to post comments and start the discussion! Feels great to have this guide up here now.
  2. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

I'm going to put a link to your guide in mine when I get some time to work on finishing moving it over. You could link to mine as well :D
  3. Dump Truck New Player

They are both very different. One is an all around guide to fire - the other a really detailed guide about one very specific thing. I've helped contribute to one and used a lot of useful information from the other. Glad you're both resurrecting them on the new forums.
  4. Karmapolice Well-Known Player

Makes me want to work more on more fire character, great guide! Required reading for anyone interested in fire tanking
  5. Kristyana New Player

Glad to know it's helped :D I appreciate it and hope to keep the guide updated regularly.

When I wrote the guide three months after launch it was desperately needed because nobody understood the mechanics, or that Fire was just as viable as ice. To this day, I still get people that try to hate on me for that. /shrug

I'm pulling as hard as I can for a change to ice mechanics to bring them in line with the other two tank classes in terms of sheer damage potential. Not gonna lie - the first week after Home Turf and instanced Black Dawn came out, I was rather enjoying watching the ice tanks who were acting high and mighty get oneshotted by the Morrowbot and demand the damage from it got nerfed.
  6. Lakhesis Active Player

This guide is the best guide ever, period.

When I started almost a year ago I got inmediately referred to this guide, and haven't regretted it so far.

I have a question though, in one of your forum posts, you mentioned that earth tanks can make the most out of healers, even more than fire tanks. How does that work?
  7. Kristyana New Player

Earth's damage absorption mechanic gets calculated at the end of the damage calculation. Anywhere from 25% to 50% of the damage simply gets dropped at the end of the equation and that's what gets applied.

Really rough example, but if you have a tank with 2000hp that gets hit for an attack that does 1000 damage, the earth tank is only going to take 500 damage at 50% absorption. A healer throws out a heal for 500. The ice tank now has 1500 HP, the fire tank now has 1900 HP and the Earth tank is now back to maximum because they took less damage in the first place.

There's some other factors to consider like the amount of absorption, how much HP the tank has, what the mitigation is, but if all factors are equal, the Earth tank gets the most out of healing compared to the other two tanks. Hope that helps :D
  8. Lakhesis Active Player

Tha
    Very interesing indeed.

So, what's stopping Earth Tanks from becoming the most popular tank power in the game? So far I've never seen an effective earth tank, they seem to be less common than fire tanks.
  9. Breakforce Loyal Player

Hey Kris, what is the current max buffed HP (trinket + power buff)?

I've finally gotten all my modding up to date, and I am sitting at 12.5K after hitting a power and CC trinket. I have tank rings, but they dont have the tank affinity bonus, so those there are I think the only spots I can gain on.
  10. Kristyana New Player

There's a really steep learning curve for Earth tanks, and they don't have the health pool to take spike damage that fire does nor the emergency God mode button of Reflect. This means that while Earth is great at taking heavy, sustained damage, it's also the tank that's the most vulnerable to spike damage.

Earth also requires more micromanaging of power and what they use in order to make sure they stay at that 50% absorption. Finally, it's the newest powerset and while there's a huge number of players, most of the people that are able to write good, detailed guides are gone and the community ingame now doesn't use resources like the forums nearly as often as the playerbase of a year ago. Because it's the newest powerset, there's not much info out there about Earth on the web and what there is tends to be outdated. That's just my opinion on it.

I wish more people ran earth. Once you know how to tank with it, I feel it's the strongest tank of the three in terms of survivability and what it brings to the table for the team.

If you were on the PC I could show you some amazing Earth tanks, and I'd like to think I'm not so shabby at Earth myself.

I think my highest has been just north of 14k and that was with an AUX 4 and the CC trinket.
    • Like x 3
  11. Chequered New Player

I use Explosive block in my tank set just for the fun factor. It works pretty much only in Black Dawn but it seems that future raids will be focused on lunge/block/block break mechanics much more. I love to tank Black Dawn just for the last part, where you have purple mini boss almost constantly lunging you and you send him flying, then he gets up and fakes the block, just to lunge again. I had this happen 6 times in a row and it made me laugh. You only have to watch out for green mob spamming block breakers with his hand blasters all the time, which is pretty easy to avoid after a while, if there's a beam of light coming out of his hand, it will most likely be a pulse beam block breaker. I usually tell my team to target adds>green>red>purple, so I can have more fun with it.
  12. kgghk New Player

Im really mad.lol
    I just looked at your mod section and realized i messed up big time.
    A couple months ago i switched my yellows from resto hp to dom power because i felt the resto didn't really help much.
    So i changed them without even thinking that the 49hp gave more health then 11 dom.
    I just switched them back, but now i have to farm to change my dom might to pre hp. argh
    Great guide +1.
  13. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

i think when I did the math it came out to like 60 health vs 112 power or something close to that was the diff in resto & health iv vs dom & power iv
    self healing would be the same
  14. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

From what I've tested so far, Wildfire seems to heal at 6-13 HP while Overheat has the same healing range as Consume Objects at 31-39 HP.
  15. Kristyana New Player

I don't even know why they bothered adding a heal to Wildfire. It's always been useless and it just seemed like a bit of leftover code.
  16. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Ikr. Damage is weaker than normal and the heals are pointless. There are a lot of other powers that could spread burning more reliably too.
  17. Spike New Player

If you add something "new" it looks like that devs care about it, but only in paper stats.
  18. Kristyana New Player

Wildfire has ALWAYS given the heal though - it just seems that instead of removing it they finally updated the tooltip for it.
  19. Breakforce Loyal Player

Ahh never accounted for soder buffs on mine
  20. MrKappaKappaPsi New Player

First off Kristyana you are a Monster!!! I loved this guide when it was on pc forum but couldn't post because I was a PS3 player. So thanks for the help with my fire Tank (Magnum Quake (I know he was earth for a while but like the name)). I am for sure getting the neck mod but I really like the fos 3 supercharge one cause I can spam reignition if neccesary, but I'll give that up for the constant defense. Is there a good Tank neck out there you know of I can relplace or will any old Tank neck do?