Kristyana's Incredibly Detailed Fire Tank Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Kristyana, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Alpha Well-Known Player

Hello everyone I recently remodeed my fire tank to have 5k health 835 Dom n 1150 resto. I haven't tried it out I had to log off. The wife came home n a bad mood so just hightailed it to the bar for awhile. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and if they have any pointers. Thanks for reading.
  2. Kristyana New Player

That is strange. The 500ish heal sounds like its in the right range but the low heal almost looks like a bug where the game doesn't think you're in tank mode. I plan on retesting all the heals tomorrow to get the base values again.

That's really interesting about Absorb Heat. I has to try that!
  3. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

its less practical than it looks on paper, but for hands mod there isn't a better option

it could have its uses tho, like tanking the tentacle in prime or some boss fights, to me its a way of dealing damage or keeping up agro while not blocking, your still stuck in place while casting so its not like your mobile.
  4. Rahiel New Player

Did a bit more testing; healing numbers for Fiery Weapon appear to very closely match the expected range for a base heal of 73-82, in both tank and DPS role and with varying amounts of Dominance. However, Backdraft's heal seems to be consistently and significantly lower. So I guess Backdraft's base heal value is actually lower? Unless something wonky is going on.
  5. Kristyana New Player

Since Backdraft got tweaked they may have changed the base healing. I'm currently testing everything :D

My methodology is to test powers with exactly 800 restoration which means every heal does exactly 3x what it normally does, and it doesn't factor in the 50 dominance. The way to prove this is to see that Stoke Flames' buff menu tooltip shows healing of 14-17 Field, which is exactly 1/3rd of what the numbers show.
  6. Ike New Player

SmileBe4Death is trash, the Daddy, Superpatriot, is the true patron of fire.
  7. Ike New Player

One more thing, thank you for your guide Kristyana, I wish more newb tanks would look at it before they try to run into a group of mobs and karate chopping something as an attempt at a taunt.
  8. Apolloin Well-Known Player

I just wanted to give Kris some major props! Your guide is awesome, I have been reading it for the past few days and I am amazed at your detail to your craft. Anyway, I recently came back to DCUO a few weeks ago and I have been toying around with a few loadouts. In you honest opinion what is the most efficient loadout? Here is my loadout

Low pressure/Enflame/Backdraft/Flashpoint/Burning Determination/Reignition

Should I be using stoke flames? I am really trying to revamp my approach. I have 121 SP and a CR of 89
  9. Kristyana New Player

There is no one best "efficient" loadout, only ones that fit your playstyle. Try to make sure your loadout can do the 8 things mentioned in the Loadout section, and it really doesn't matter what powers you use to accomplish those goals :)
  10. Kristyana New Player

I finished most of my testing on the new powers. Since Backdraft was showing some odd numbers I tested it 50 times and the base healing range is now 44 to 60 compared to the 73 to 82 it used to do previously. This is a fairly significant nerf as it's one of our major heals.

Overheat does between 33 and 40 healing if Immolation is active

Wildfire does a pitiful 6 to 13 healing if the target is burning.
  11. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

thanks for doing the testing! i don't see any reason why they would lower backdraft heals
  12. Kristyana New Player

The only reason I can think of them doing it was to bring Fiery Weapon and Backdraft more in line with the overall healing they do. Backdraft has a much shorter cooldown than Fiery Wep, so if you use both of those moves as soon as they're off cooldown the overall healing should roughly be the same.

That or they want fire tanks to focus a little more on self healing now, given that before this update Backdraft on its own would pretty much cover the healing gap between buffed HP and the healing buff.
  13. Rip Flame New Player

So my questions are more based on the new updates on fire. Im lv 30 with a very low cr. When i hit lv 30 i all ways had my tank icon on vs damage role icon since lv 10 and then i was faced with on issue, people telling me fire is not a tank but a dps (or rather better at dps). As i read the forums people are saying fire dps are weak now and have more tanking skills then dps. So now you know why i posting this and im sorry if this has been spammed by other people. I will note i in joy tanking but i like dps to but not as much as tank.

1. Is fire really as bad in dps now as people say?

2. Fire tanks are they common and do people like them?

3. To the fire tanks out there how do you like being a fire tank?
  14. Kristyana New Player

For a discussion on DPS itself, check out Soulburn's fire guide. He's much more knowledgeable about DPSing with fire than I am. Fire did take a hit in our sheer DPS potential, but the largest factor seems to be people not wanting to change their playstyle to get the most damage out of the powerset. It's not the top tier easymode power it used to be and requires more work, but there's no content in the game you won't be able to complete...just don't expect to top the damage charts that often when paired with a few different powersets.

Fire tanks are fairly common, most people don't have an issue with them unless trying for specific feats where they favor Ice for the pull.

I love fire tanking, and will be a fire tank until the game closes down.
  15. Rip Flame New Player

i like fire tank as well! i have another question for you krist, what do think for power skills ( has in the ones that take supercharge) i been kind mixed with the one that heals you that takes 25% of super charge and the 100% super charge that increases your hp and heals when you get hit and all so debuffs control effects.
  16. Tocimus Committed Player

imo, the question is: how often will you use them? or will you never use them since they are really just an "oh ****" button?

i can never justify using the 100%, even when wearing the tank neck that charges sc faster. it would be better to have the 25% or a power to juggle/move the adds.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    also, has anybody played with the SS tornado pull? and if so how well does it work?
  17. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

That has been my pull from the start (i picked SS at creation)
    It has LoS problems where if there is a target between you and the one you want to pull it just wont work. Often times I will just jump over the group surrounding me and then trigger it if im trying to range pull something back to the group.

Other than that it has no problems, it works 90% of the time if you have no LoS problems, sometimes it can pull more than 1 if they are super close to each other.
  18. Tocimus Committed Player

so its low pressure with los issues... nice
    i wanna switch for that wd......ugh.
  19. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

well i've seen other people use low pressure and i can promise you it is better than LP
  20. TrueMarvel New Player

arguable.
    If you activate low pressure will in the air, the success rate is 90%+;)