[Suggestion] Remove 3rd person view for vehicles

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tytos, Jan 27, 2013.

1. LanceHavenbay

For those of you claiming realism in defense of removing 3rd person:

1. This is the future. You really don't think you have any form of alarm in your mobile spawn sunder warning you that an enemy is approaching? Or that it has detected explosive materials nearby? Or the simple rear view mirror? This is the future!
    2. Most vehicles with the exception of the magrider is some* situations, simply cannot move out of the way of an engineer that comes up behind them unexpectedly. You usually have to see them coming beforehand. In a large/mid or even small battle, if you aren't looking forward and firing on the tank/rockets firing at you, you are dead anyways. For a large majority of people out there... you cannot aim while 3rd person. If you can, you have gotten fairly skilled at your vehicle and deserve a reward. Especially if you are moving while firing in 3rd person.
    3. 3rd person is nearly 80% advantageous in simply avoiding knocking into things while flying or driving off a cliff. And that can still happen with some cliffs in Indar if you have your hud off anyways. 3rd person is a vehicle does not save your ****. Especially not in large vehicles. Bombing in a lib, all it does is help you follow a target. Note: If you can see an enemy directly below you in a Lib. the gunner usually does not have a good angle. You forget again, this is the future. We have targeting software. 3rd person is just a casual way of saying "follow this guys trail."
    4.Removing 3rd person will cause nothing more than your drivers running people over 9/10 times. especially those idiot ATV riders who think it is smart to hug your tank in an open road. Of the infantry trying to get in getting clipped. I fly and drive very well; although I a not a pro Reaver pilot, I can fly my Lib. like a bat out of hell. As I can drive my tank to a similar effect. 3rd person is not THAT beneficial to a driver/pilot. In fact, some of the best pilots I've seen spend more time in 1st than 3rd. I do not use 1st in my lib simple because I watch where my gunner points his gun, in order to better understand where he wants me to move.

To the point:
    Stop whining. 3rd person does not give anyone advantages. You either need to find better tactics to surprise an enemy tank (one under fire/occupied) than running up to one sitting around drinking coffee and expecting to get an easy kill. Learn the weak points of fighters. Attack from the top/botton will guarantee you a kill of any fighter who does not get told you are swooping like a hawk on his position.

Surprise attacks are your best ally. Use it.

Not I, or any member of the 3 platoons/ton of squads that I have played with have ever had a problem nailing tanks with mines or C4. Not having we even had a fighter sneak up on us more than 1/3 the time. Why? Not third person. We just don't sit around waiting to be hammered. We constantly move. We are constantly aware of our surrounding and where enemies could possible come from. Every angle I saw, my cockpit had pointed at, regardless.

I see far too many tanks sitting idle an firing pot shots. Don't.
    I see too many ESF/libs hoving and firing off rounds. Don't.
    Too many snipers staying on the same ledge and wondering how someone snuck up on them. Don't.

Be intelligent. Keep moving.
    • Up x 1
  2. Talizzar

I drive Big Fire Trucks and can see about 100 percent more than what the Sundy give. If they can make the cockpits of planes bulletproof why not make the entire truck out of see through glass? Honestly there is no real reason to grief players with such lousy FOV.
    • Up x 1
  3. Jex =TE=

Do you not look before you cross the road?
  4. Istrebljivach

I promise I would never get in tank without 3rd person view. If that solves your infantry vs vehicle problem, ok.
  5. Zapon

side view camera

rear view camera

thermal front view

Laser and radar distance (and object detction) sensor covering all sides

High frequency Sonar for usage in fog :p..

...Seriously though, since no one said it- we'd be out-doing ARMA in this aspect. Well, for the first person thing
  6. CaligoIllioneus

Horrible idea. Would nerf tanks even more...do you hate being attacked from behind by someone you did not see, infantry? Well, if you drive a tank, you get hit by things you cannot see. You have to check the surroundings and guess where the invisible rockets are coming from.

Also, you seem to want one person to be able to solo a vehicle, which is stupid. Balance is not one infantry = one vehicle. Infantry should have to work together as a team in order to manage to destroy a MBT....

I think the game suffers from two problems:

1) vehicles are too easily destroyed, and the best anti-infantry class is the one that got the rocket launchers, which means the basic footsoldier of the game has the ability to spam rockets in your general direction. This coupled with C4, tank mines, AV turrets, etc, makes tanks seem to be made of tissue paper.
    2) vehicles are too easily created, replaced, and you don't need certifications to allow you to drive them, every BR 1 player can pull a stock 1/2 MBT and create tank zergs.

I think when these two issues are fixed we will have true belance between infantry and tanks.
    • Up x 1
  7. Maruun

Would be all in for it if we HAD the tank mechanics from ARMA 2 in PS2 but we dont . We have the mainstream tank mechanic here so i will need to have the 3rd person. Not like Arma 2 where i can open the hatches and look out to get my suroundings to know.
  8. cicero8

i think it should be kept for a few reasons, to prevent accidental roadkills, Dog fights in the air are confusing as it is, with all the dam osbtacles in certain areas, removing 3rd person mode would make it pretty bad.

AND HONESTLY! wth is everybody complaining about infantry vs vehicle balance. i find it pretty ballanced. 2 shots to the bag of a magrider with my RL and its dead.... Hell if i can get behidn that thing i can just run and stay behind it. 3-4 anti vehicle Infantry can deal with vehicles pretty fast.

infantry vs air is RIDICULOUSLY OP. and you want to take out 3rd person view?. all those freaking homing rockets comming at you and you have no idea where they come from?

i mostly roll infantry and im pretty happy with the balance as it is. if theres a huge tank, go around. its a freaking tank. it shouldnt be a 1shot ko fight of tank vs infantry lol.
  9. Tasogie

no, jsut no making the game any more simplified is the worst possible thing you can do. We already have mirror imaging, making it any worse is jsut insanity.
  10. Vapid

Never going to happen. /thread