PPA is UnderPowered and UnderPerforming

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by vanu123, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xasapis

That doesn't change the rotation speed.
  2. Villanuk

When you boost, you move in a given direction, you simple turn to the desired direction whilst your boosting and avoiding any projectiles which mat come your way, thus less exposure to the rear or side.

A prowler, turns and moves away without the opportunity of boost, hence making it more vulnerable.
  3. Xasapis

It still doesn't change the rotation speed.

And while we're concentrating on the things the Magrider can do, lets not forget on those that it can't. Like shoot towards one direction while driving towards another. Or check the rear, while moving forward. Or shoot at the rear, while moving forward.
  4. Villanuk

Those are its bad points indeed but you hill climb far quicker than any other, can get into places no other tank can and spam the hell out of tanks ( and when the PPA was Godlike, you did on infantry ) and you can pivot below. You can strafe to avoid on coming projectiles and terrain does not effect your speed, so rough with the smooth.
  5. Villanuk

Just went into the VR room, your rotation is quicker than my Prowler and quite frankly if you think your up against it in avoiding rockets in that, then try the prowler let alone the Vanguard.
  6. Xasapis

Hill climbing is directly related to movement speed. Prowler is the best hill climber of the three, followed by Magrider due to magburn, with Vanguard coming last. Unless you're talking about terrain and obstacle navigation, which will bring the Magrider as the best to tackle them.

The Magrider can indeed get in some interesting places, though the majority of those are not very useful. Spamming bases from a hex away btw has been a staple of the Prowler since the game launched (and hasn't changed since).

Side strafe only works vs dumpfire missiles at ranges of roughly 70m and beyond. Also, up to 150m, you can't side strafe from a tank shell aimed at your center mass.

Terrain does affect the Magrider, but in more forgiving way than the other two tanks. The constant problem is that it is easy to get stuck somewhere and going backwards blindly is problematic.

I'm not sure what the point you are trying to make is. The Magrider has both an armor deficiency vs Vanguards and damage deficiency against Prowlers. Given equally skilled and manned crews, the Magrider will lose all battles due to those two aspects alone. So there has to be an upside for the Magrider that will even the handicaps of the tank and will even the field. Complaining about that necessary upside makes no sense.

And yet the magburn still doesn't change the rotation speed of the Magrider.

Do you want to argue that the Magrider rotation speed should be equal or slower than the other two tanks? Or you just made an observation on it? I'm curious.
  7. Flag

Well technically no other tank needs to.
    More on that below.
    I'll clarify a bit for my fellows here.
    The Magrider has the fastest -stock- rotation of about 4 seconds, this is true.
    As a reference I think a vanguard takes about 8 stock, but this can be improved to 4-5 with Rival.

That said...
    Rival on the mag doesn't change this value. It is what it is.
    There's also the point of how the Mag gun is hull locked, whilst <the rest> has turrets.
    In effect it means that while the others generally need more time to rotate the hulls, they don't have to do it to bring the guns to the show. This changes a lot in how you approach a fight with regards to positioning and all.

For the burn-turn you mention, it has restrictions.
    First of all, it doesn't change the base rotation speed, so if you want to go in a particular direction you still spend roughly the same time to turn the tank.
    Second, and just as important as the first, doing anything of the sorts cuts your damage output almost in half (no main gun fire), with little to no way of preventing it. That means it's carrying an inherent risk (and trade-off, which it should).

Anyway, the point is that yes the mag has a very good base rotation speed, but it needs it to even function as a tank/vehicle.
    Compared the time it takes the Prowler turret to rotate 180 degrees and the time the mag needs to do the same. That's what others are talking about. A mag caught from behind have to spend -at least- 2 seconds rotating to even return fire with the main gun, the other tanks need half a second or so, after reaction times are accounted for for both.
    • Up x 2
  8. Villanuk

I was commenting to Vanu123 as he was saying how slow the rotation of the Mag is, which it is not from the tests i have done so that was my argument.

I found this article, its a about 1 year old, so i cant remember if much has changed, but this is what this guy said and it was very much agreed upon.

Lets talk about tank speed. The best place to test "normal" ground speed is on the only perfectly level, perfectly flat pieces of terrain in the game which are long enough to reach full speed. That's bridges. Luckily, there are bridges close to at least one sanctuary of every faction, so it's easy to get to one with a warpgate-spawned tank. From what I can tell, speed is very close. So the supposed edge of prowlers is not a very big one. Flat top speed is 51 for mags, 55 for vanguards, 60 for prowlers. This is stock. I believe that each speed upgrade adds 5 to flat top speed now.
    Lets talk about tank speed and terrain. The trick is that the tanks actually handle like the ESF's. In other words, weight matters, and the Vanu break the rules. Like the Reaver, the Vanguard is slower to climb, but accelerates like mad downhill. This means it's a ******edly slow-moving target trudging up hill on a base attack (Ze Crown). With enough slope, your speed eventually drops to 20 something. You can hit 70+ on a down slope going full throttle. Like the Mosquito, the Prowler is a lot lighter. But it still loses a bunch of speed on hills. And it still gains a bunch going down them. But we're talking more like dropping to 40 instead of 20. Meanwhile, the Magrider is the slowest. But the same way the Scythe can pull off weird twist and turns without worrying about inertia, the magrider really doesn't give a **** about terrain. It slows down a little bit on moderate hills, but not very much at all. And when it's faced with something tough, there's a funny little deal. Magrider strafing cannot increase the Magrider's overall speed. However, it does add thrust if combined with forward movement. So a magrider with decent rival or racer chassis (you need the extra clearance) can attack hills no other tank can climb by diagonal strafing and still do so at around 30 kph. On most of the fairly mild hills in the game, I don't drop below 47 even when going perfectly straight, which is almost no speed loss. Plus, the magrider doesn't get its path interrupted by the small little terrain bumps that drop a few kph here and there and mess up your overall cruising speed, which is a huge problem for the prowler with its short wheelbase. Because of this, a magrider with racer 3 is probably effectively the fastest tank in terms of practical speed, if you're not talking about off-road travel of any kind, while the Vanguard is definitely a distant third.
  9. Villanuk

I completely agree with what you have said and you raise good points.Vanu123 was on about the speed rotation of the tank in avoiding projectiles that has been my point to him that the mag is not disadvantaged in any way in that aspect.
  10. Bixli

...sure, mission succeed for the whiney bunch.
  11. Xasapis

I agree with his assessment to an extend. The only thing that is no longer true is that the two speeds no longer add up. In other words, side strafing or going straight up hills produce the exact same results. And this has been since the big nerf back in the early 2013. In fact, the very first day the movement was completely broken, since if you applied any kind of side strafing, the forward speed dropped to the speed of the strafe.

As I said in this and other threads though, hill climbing, aka going upwards an incline is pretty much all about speed. However, Auraxis is not a flat place. It's not that the Magrider traverses terrain faster, it's more of following an optimal route to get to a point and that route can be a lot more direct with a Magrider, while the Prowler, Vanguard and Lightning will need to take bigger detours to achieve their optimal routes.
  12. taxidriver

what should i say? i started playing VS recently and yesterday i bought my first PPA for the magrider. It`s still better than the basilisk.
  13. vanu123

Yes. The prowler can turn its turret faster than the mag can turn its hull/turret. Boost is only forward.
    • Up x 1
  14. vanu123

The hill climbing was nerfed a long time ago. Prowler and vanguard are both much better at spamming tanks/AP. PPA was never Godlike, rather more magriders used it after the saron hammer nerfs. The more people use something the more it is QQd regardless if it is better or not. Terrain does affect speed and strafing only works outside 150-250 meters.
  15. AgentStark427

I'll quote one instance where staying still would have obliterated me.

At Eisa Tech Plant (and this literally happened last night) we were pushing back the third NC offensive in a row. My squad was holding the point and then I called to pull Prowlers. I was the only one that made it out of the gate. I hooked around and saw and enemy sunderer hugging a wall with BUTTLOADS of infantry next to it. So I opened fire with HE rounds and started getting kills like crazy... Until they returned fire. Raven MAXes hurt like hell mind you, and I was about to go boom. I pulled back to repair. Had I stayed there another second, I'd be toast.

One instance where lockdown doesnt help for s***. Fire suppression is MUCH more useful.
  16. AgentStark427

You obviously havent certed into the maneuverability chassi... OR A HIGHER DPI MOUSE.
  17. Flag

What are you talking about?
    The magrider has both a max speed for it's rotation (meaning that higher DPI won't improve it past a certain point), and it's certainly nowhere near the speed the prowler can rotate the turret.
    Also, the Magrider doesn't improve it's hull rotation speed with the Rival Chassis.
    Maybe you should check the tank rather than just assume it's identical to other vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  18. Vixxing

No its not! I much prefer Basilisk vs infantry after they ZoE- the PPA... and it also damages armor...
  19. vanu123

If you owned eisa you could have pulled at a nearby large facility get behind that sundy and unload on them. Prowler still beats mag.
  20. AgentStark427

I have, actually. I play all three factions an equal amount of time since last summer, and I've been trying to understand things from all three points of view. I understand that the Magrider is the MOST DIFFERENT of the tanks right down to the very mechanics, and that's what gives it an advantage. Yes, the turret for other factions does turn faster. I understand this. And yes, the Rival Chassis DOES improve turning speed.

Here's what you do: Get a magburner and max it out, then when you get in close on a Prowler (make sure you have a buddy in the Saron cannon) hit the Magburner and swing around. Make sure you only give it enough boost to get past, then take it off of the accelerator and let Newton do his work while you keep the gun faced at the enemy. Aim at the rear, get a few shots in, bam. He's toast.. Ive seen this maneuver and performed it myself countless times. It is MAGnificent lol.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.