AT Mines are too hard to see now...

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by PastalavistaBB, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Frosty The Pyro

mines used to glow and be really easy to see with NV, and even easier with IR. NV has been nerfed so I don't know if it is still a solution, but IR is still an easy option without sacrificing a defence slot of mineguard.

Also mines are spotable now, so you don't even need to shout over proxy when you see one for the rest of your team to avoid.
  2. LT_Latency

ProTip : Never go first always follow someone LOL
    • Up x 3
  3. Rift23

You gotta love threads that complain about mines being hidden, just like how nobody thought to give c4 to the sneaky class.
    • Up x 2
  4. Hoki

That video is over 1 year old.

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah they are smaller. Lets flip out.
    • Up x 1
  5. MasonSTL

HUGE difference between now and then. Back then mines would clip into the terrain making them undetectable.
  6. AdmiralArcher

oh look, the tankers might have to worry about something now

fear me, for i am the ever so determined suicide bomber, i will throw as many mines at your sundy as i can until it explodes in a fireball of certs, i will mine every choke point and i will find you, and i will blow you up
  7. GhostAvatar

And so it begins again.

You got flak armor for AI mines and Mine Guard for tank mines. If you fail to be observant, then use the counter. On a side note, the issue with that video was a bug where the mines sunk into the ground, making them invisible even if you were looking out for them. That is no longer a issue and you can also spam Q to spot them as well.
    • Up x 3
  8. lyravega

Not really. They still sink to the ground sometimes.
    • Up x 1
  9. Nephera

using a lead car with mineguard to minesweep for the rest of the armor column seems like a fair compromise to me. especially considering minefields are almost never as big as they are in that video. Its a good way to set an armor column up for an ambush without having them just roll straight through it.
  10. repairtool6

Tank mines makes sense again. This is a very good thing.
    I say this both as a engineer and as a Tanker.

My vanguard got blown up today by tankmines for the first time in months and i actually had to smile.
    I was just so suprised
    • Up x 1
  11. ComradeHavoc

True tankers wouldn't push like that. They would have infantry move up first. I hate sundy spawn rushes.
  12. NoctD

I spotted one just fine with my naked eye while moving around in my Lightning tonight. All you need to do is pay attention?
  13. faykid

Its not like every vehicle in this game is currently destroyed by AT mines and nothing else. Can we please have nice things?
  14. Posse

AI mines work so well for 2 reasons:

1) They sink pretty often, being invisible
    2) You can put them in places where they're impossible to avoid, such as: teleporter exits and where you land after taking a jump pad, giving you free kills for something that requires zero skill.
  15. Rellenar

Yes, this would be lovely. Real mines are an area denial tool, and that's how they acted in Planetside - you would put a whole lot of them down to slow the enemy's advance. Planetside 2's current mines are just these silly things you plop down and then half an hour later some poor sap gets their vehicle instantly destroyed.

And Mineguard is a terrible cert. "You die instantly unless you have this cert slotted, and then you don't care" is uninteresting gameplay and poor cert design.

They should make mines much cheaper, make it so you can only place them so close to another mine, reduce the damage and let you carry many more of them. Turn them into the defensive area denial tool they should be instead of the random cheap kill and frustration generator (or C4 substitute) that they are now. This game could dearly use better defensive tools anyway.
    • Up x 2
  16. WyrdHarper

Claymores don't sink completely(usually) because of their height--although you can hide them around corners, they also have very bright green lasers. Usually when I get claymore kills, I often will go place the claymore in the EXACT same space, and then the same person I just killed a few minutes earlier will be the one who runs through and gets killed again. That isn't lack of skill on the engineer's part, that's lack of "not being capable of learning" on the part of the person who was killed. I've killed a lot of people with mines, and I've also seen a lot of smart/aware people disable my mines (or simply wear flak armor or use heavy shield--problem solved) because the places where you find mines are pretty universally common and as easily learned as any other part of the map.

Additionally, since I run flak I don't get killed by mines; however, I can't remember the last time I triggered one that had sunk into the ground, and it was supposedly fixed in a recent patch. I see a lot of very poorly placed mines that don't get any kills or kill friendlies, and I also see quite a few intelligently placed mines that work well at taking out enemies. Situations like jump pads can be avoided by moving to the side as you jump, and mines inside of teleporter/spawn rooms now despawn if the room switches factions. Now that mines are no longer bugged, you can also set them off with other explosives (so if you see a green laser around a corner you can toss in a 'nade), by shooting them with bullets or any handy explosive weapons, using EMP grenades, wearing Flak armor, and so on.
    • Up x 1
  17. Winfield

I'm a tanker and the new tank mines are fine.
  18. Takoita

[IMG]
    Claymore lasers are no longer anywhere near bright.

[IMG]

Some other mines could use less illumination on them though.
    • Up x 4
  19. Taemien

They already do. Max repair gun disables mines.

I don't see the complaint with mines. Before this update, I didn't care to use Mineguard... I didn't need it. After the update.. I still don't need it. So really they are UP still. I'm not god's gift to PS2, but Mines are the least of my worries in a tank or sundy, so much that I want my certs in Mineguard back on my sundy.
    • Up x 2
  20. TheStink

Expect them, they're not impossible to see. Many others in this thread have suggested the team work solutions to your problem. Pizza mines were just a silly dumb down of a defense tool,what's the point of mines even Helen Keller could have spotted at 100m? There are counters for the vehicle you're pulling if you expect mines where you're advancing too, if you personally have trouble reacting quickly to visual information.