VOICE CHAT NOT WORKING

Discussion in 'Voice Chat Support' started by ARCHIVED-Princess Ariel, Jun 16, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Wizard_Thoarin Guest

yep no option to change that setting on my router.
    This is getting to be frustrating, please fix this soon, its been a week now. I tried changing my MTU to 1492 on my NIC and guess what, didn't work.
    Maybe Vivox needs a line from Donald Trump... "Your Fired"
  2. ARCHIVED-Gethani Guest

I still can not access voice.
  3. ARCHIVED-drubin71 Guest

I understand that some may have been able to manipulate their setting to allow some sort of voice, if not all. I think the major concensis (spelling?) is that why should we as players have to adjust our settings at all. I am not able to change my router/modem settings. Its been beaten to death but I'll say it again.......It was working, now its not. If its up to the players to adjust and fix the chat problem then I say we should all be on SOE's payroll!! ROFL.
  4. ARCHIVED-Mikkahl Guest

I was just coming here to say that today's fix was a big improvement for me! I got some voice chat working when my ISP firewall was set to DMZ, but I still had a lot of trouble changing channels.
    Today I was logged right in Guild at log in, and I was able to change to group or raid channels and back to guild with no problem. I fiddled a lot with this, and I only had to disable/re-enabled vc twice :)P) .
    So, some progress for me, but not 100% fool-proof yet.
  5. ARCHIVED-Jarnhand Guest

Myth1184 wrote:
    I don't claim to be knowlegable in internet protocols, but the phrase "fragmented data bits" just screams BROKEN CODE! to me.
    Oh, and Myth1184? My Linksys router does not seem to support this option either. I've checked every screen. I'll go through them again when I get home because I want to stop posting on this matter, but I'm not hopeful right now. Thanks for the help though.
  6. ARCHIVED-Tobann Guest

If it were the router I could not get into guild chat and I can. I just cant get into raid or group. That sounds like a code problem.
    Vibeth
  7. ARCHIVED-Amis Guest

I too have not been able to use Vchat. They say 60% of people are not having a prob with it . so about 1 in 3 people that are. if that is the case i think that they should go back to the old vchat that worked fine for 99% of people till the get the new vchat fixed on the test server. with the # of peopler that play and 1 in 3 people is alot of people that are having this prob it should be a no brainer to switch back till they get it fixed. I have been holding off on posting here hoping they would get it fixed. I know it is not my pc that is the prb as my vent is still working just fine and all other apps i have with voice work as well. the only one that is not working is the new eq voice server.
  8. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

The packet fragmentation is due to the oversized packets. It's not bad coding, its just now the network handles packets that are larger than the MTU. However, having packets larger than the max MTU should be avoided in the first place. Unfortunately this part of the code is not something we have control over on the EQII team, so we are working with Vivox to get it corrected.
    We are continuing to fix any and all issues we can, such as the crash fix that was patched this morning. We'll let you know as soon as we hear something more. Unfortunately rolling back to an older version is not possible. This voice change is part of a company-wide update that affects all games that are using voice and the Station Launcher. So our top priority is to get this fixed as soon as possible.
  9. ARCHIVED-TSR-DanielH Guest

Hello Everyone,
    I wanted to stop by and mention that I have taken all of the information in this thread and provided the distilled version to everyone in the Customer Service/Tech department. That should ensure we're all on the same page when it comes to correcting this issue.
    We have had some success using 2 different methods to correct the issue. For some routers the issue can be corrected by updating the firmware to a more recent version. When that doesn't work then it may be necessary to bypass the router when using voice chat. You can bypass the router by plugging your computer directly into the modem. Granted, those solutions will only work around the issue, but they should allow it to function until a fix is pushed to live.
    Feel free to contact me or our support line if you need help taking those steps.
  10. ARCHIVED-Melisondra Guest

I have been playing eq2 since it began. I have never really had any issues or complaints, until now.
    I don't care that no two people have the exact same problem accessing VC. I don't care if a few tweaks to so and so's computer fixed it right up. I am sick of getting the "standard email asking if I turned on VC while in game" I am not that stupid, however I do not have a degree in computers. I don't know what MTU is or where to find it. I shouldn't have to know or care.
    I have two computers that are less than 6 months old. We went out and bought a brand new router...wired not wireless. We still can't access chat, and my husband, who sits just 2 feet from me using the same router and same computer and same cable modem, is actually joining guild chat channel only to be kicked. I don't even join the channel. Again, same hardware, same settings, and two totally different reactions to this problem.
    Since it hasn't been said often I guess I will shout it out here IT WORKED PERFECTLY BEFORE THE UPDATE!!!! Why can't they restore chat to the way it was until they figure out how to put it live without all this mess?!?
    I don't need anything fancy and dazzling, I just want to hear and talk to friends while I am actually playing my character in the game. I don't think this is too much to ask, since we had this already!
    I am done trying to figure out how to make my computer work with their update. My computer loved the original chat, which I had from the moment they went live with it. It is not my job to reconfigure my settings to get a feature to work when it was working fine. I am done and if SOE wants to keep me as a paying customer they will stop putting this on me and my equipment and fix what they did.
    Webbie Kithicor

BTW how are you supposed to plug directly into the cable modem and by pass the router when there are 2 people sharing access to the internet? oiy! Let's see he gets the modem for 2 hours then it's my turn, or better yet, how bout we just cancel our subscriptions altogether!
  11. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

TSR-DanielH wrote:
    Is it SOE's intention to only support a single EQ2 connection per household at a time?
    We have 4 accounts between 2 people and can conceivably have all 4 accounts logged in on different computers. Is that not going to be supported? Having 2 to 4 seperate Internet accounts IS not an acceptable option, not even as a "temporary" work around.
  12. ARCHIVED-Indarias Guest

Unfortunately i have to agree with Rijacki. Four accounts in the house, 1 plugged into the wall, and 3 others on wireless. So 1 person gets voice while the other 3 have to just get over it. I think not.
    I understand its impossible to test all possible outcomes with various hardware and firmware options out there. However, with the intial release of the update more than half the people were having some sort of voice chat problem. I find that a bit unacceptable. A solid week later and still 30% of the players are having problems.
    There is nothing we should have to do other than boot up and log in, we should not be required to make a change to our system to get things working, even temporarily. Plain and simple, SOE screwed up, some have admitted it and i will at least say that is a good start. I understand that this is a high priority to get corrected, but in all honesty a problem this large should have never happened. If this was any other business you would have to close your doors due to the financial impact this would have caused.
    /vent off
    Accounts renew in 1 week. Hope things are fixed by then, or we will have to find other things to spend our money on i guess.
  13. ARCHIVED-GlitterPaws Guest

Hmmm,
    My read on this whole situation is that Vivox should be working on the problem. One could assume a company devoted to online gaming communication would have a support site covering router problems and other items. Nope. Their site is strictly marketing.
    However much one wishes to complain about SOE they have support forums. We are getting updates from devs.
    Nothing like this on the Vivox site.
    Nope, my VC doesn't work either. Neither of the two accounts in the house work. I don't plan on any serious guild activities until this is fixed. Re-programing the router is not an option.
    You don't WANT to know what the live-in guild officer thinks about this fiasco.
    cheers
  14. ARCHIVED-Babayaaga Guest

I haven't played one account since 2000 of the Everquest series... not to mention the fights my husband and I would have over "who gets teh Interweb tonight!?"
    (hehe)
  15. ARCHIVED-Dethdlr Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    I know this is frustrating for everyone effected. I personally bought a Teamspeak server for a month to hold our guild over until the storm passes. Hopefully everybody realizes that the fix is in the works on the SERVER side. All the things posted here about fragmented packets, MTU sizes, bypass the router and plug straight into the modem, etc. are work-arounds that have worked for some people. These are the band-aids. They are not the fix, nor do I believe that the folks at SOE (or at least most of them) are claiming that these things are what need to be done to fix the problem LONG TERM. Long term, the fix will most likely come from Vivox, not SOE (speculation on my part), and will allow you to use voice just like you did before GU52. Eventually, Station Launcher will be integrated into the voice system and allow us to stay in voice while changing characters or even when we're not in the game at all. In order to support this (which I personally thing will be a great feature), they had to yank the voice chat out of the game and put it into it's own program. Speaking from the perspective of a computer programmer myself, I doubt this was a minor undertaking to pull off. The problem is, once it's done, it's not as simple as it sounds to undo it. As they've said already, in cases like this, it's faster to fix the bugs than it is to try and revert back to the old voice chat. Unfortunately, neither is as fast as any of us would like (painfully slow actually, but they're trying). I know it's a pain not having the built in voice working but they are working on it and trying to resolve the issue. Try the workarounds if you'd like. They've worked for a lot of people. Just remember, they are workarounds, not solutions. When you hear them discussed, it doesn't mean we will all have to go buy new routers to use voice. We just need to wait on a fix. Oh great gods of Norath, let the fix come quickly! Teamspeak is driving me nuts (and before someone says it, I like Vent even less).
    </soapbox>
  16. ARCHIVED-Shadownex Guest

Yea I'm on a Linksys wirelessG router and in the options it has a fragment limit you can change the values from the lowest to let through to the max (2300 something) so I'm limited so if the fragments cant push through I wont have VC for a while :) and I'm pluged straight into the router, not on the wireless. even after the fix it still doesnt work, I've tinkered and still nothing so hopefully the info on routers limiting fragments will help and you can make changes accordingly :)Wireless-G Wireless-GWireless-GWireless-G
  17. ARCHIVED-PsychoKitty Guest

Myth1184 wrote:
    Oh how silly of us all. Fancy starting this thread and causing such a bother when you clearly know the answer. Hey, maybe you should get on the phone to SOE HQ and tell them all how to do it as well? Helpful suggestions are welcome here but I for one can certainly do without the attitude.
    P.S. I don't have a router, and even with my firewall shut down I have zero voice chat. Never had a problem before GU52 ... it must be magic.
  18. ARCHIVED-Toryn Guest

Just got the hotfix, eagerly tried voicechat...and no go.
    I get in, I can hear stuff for a while, then nada.
    Then I leave the channel, and try to go back to the channel...can't see anyone in the channel even though there are people in the channel.
    Exit EQ and...TADA!!! The great ol' "EQVoiceService.exe" process is still running. Same as before stuck at 0 CPU usage and 14,144k Memory usage. Can't end it.

For the life of me I can't envision how this could be a router issue (in my case). I can't end the process unless I reboot the machine. Never had a drop of trouble with the voice chat before the great big update...now...no go.
    Shame too, oh well, I'll keep my eyes open for an update that works. Now if you'll excuse me I've got to restart my PC so I can get rid of this process that's hung and can't be closed
  19. ARCHIVED-PsychoKitty Guest

TSR-DanielH wrote:
    Thank you so much TSR Daniel, it is good to know that the knowledge will be shared around as people really are fed up with hearing the same nonsense from GM's regardless of the different circumstances. It might also have a few hard working GMs running in circles and scratching their heads :)
    I am also glad to hear you mention a couple of possible work-arounds whilst still making it clear that the issue will eventually be corrected at your end.
    *thumbs up*
  20. ARCHIVED-Phinneus Guest

Ok. I didnt read the whole post so this might have been said. But I had an issue with voice not working with GU52. I am using a Westell DSL modem and a Belkin router. I read in the knowledge base that 2 instances of NAT running will cause VoIP problems. I disabled NAT on my modem and all was set (yes it was running there and yes I thought this feature was strictly on routers). The modem came with that feature enabled. Once I disabled the NAT option on the modem voice worked fine.