Look and Feel

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by ttobey, May 6, 2015.

1. Kelvmor Active Member

The Dhalgar and Gnemlin skeleton illusions should work, though.
  2. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

I was given a request for a dragon illusion, not the baby dragons, not the wyvern, but a true dragon illusion, that walked when walking, and flew when flying. Granted they were not the only one to ask for something like this. So just passing it along.
    Prissetta likes this.
  3. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

TTOBEY!!!!

What did you do to my 'Tongas?????

*cries*
  4. Rainmare Well-Known Member

what's wrong with the Tongas?
    HaphazardAllure likes this.
  5. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

Both males and females are walking as if they have fused spines.
    In the females the tail overlashes, the hips are rolling unnaturally, she looks like she has something unpleasant inserted.
    They are Ratonga, they should not walk like that. It's awful.
  6. Rainmare Well-Known Member

ah, might have to look at how mine moves.
  7. Meirril Well-Known Member

What most people think is natural is the Ratonga running animation. That sounds vaguely like what I remember the Ratonga walk animation looks like. Ttobey said something about trying to get the walk animation to actually show when you have the Ratonga set to "walk".
  8. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

The males had a proper walk animation before. The females did not. Now, however, they both look uncomfortable.
  9. Kelvmor Active Member

Me personally...

I never want to see anything like this added into the game. :| Too many people trying to roleplay six-million-year-old dragons from space on Antonia Bayle, and I don't want their lore-breaking RPs justified in any manner by an actual adult dragon illusion. People forget that Norrath as a whole is only like 6,000 years old according to the A.N. dating system (After Nameless). People also forget that dragons wouldn't just come down and mingle with your buddies at the local pub--they're noble, austere creatures who, more often than not, have too much pride for themselves and disdain for mortals to interact with them much. The only major exceptions I can think of are Nagafen and Vox and their giants, and Yelinak in Thurgadin, but the fire and frost giants were essentially Nagafen and Vox's slaves, and Yelinak had absolutely NO ONE ELSE to turn to besides the Coldain dwarves after Kerafyrm and his army sacked Skyshrine.

Not to mention, even if they *did* add one, it wouldn't be able to fly; your flying mount would override the illusion by default, unless they totally reworked how illusions work with mounts/flying mounts.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  10. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

I did not say I wanted it, just that more than two people brought it up to me as a request. I cannot fill that request, obviously, so I promised I would post it here.
  11. Kelvmor Active Member

None of that was really directed at you, per se, moreso the idea in general.
  12. Meirril Well-Known Member

I'm being really nitpicky here, and I'm going to apologize for it. But that said, Norrath should be about 10,000 years old according to Mayong. Any of the calendars we're using are based on the lesser races and they weren't around when the dragons were first hatched. Apparently Mayong is older than Norrath. God I hate his story.
    Prissetta likes this.
  13. Kelvmor Active Member

I think you might be skewing things a bit? As I remember, the "10,000 year" thing was more in relation to the Shissar Calendar; the Chelsith Stone is only one part of a greater picture; the Shissar Calendar started with Norrath's creation, and ended 9,000 years after that creation, all based on the Shissar Emperor Ssraeshza's Chronomancy.
  14. Meirril Well-Known Member

Well, you've already wandered away from 6,000 to 9,000. I'm going off of something Mayong said in one of his many rants, plus that ridiculous Ydal story. The simple and plain truth of the matter is that Norrath's history is based on a series of stories that do not translate well to any kind of calender system. Every single attempt I've ever seen to put it all on a single calendar has had huge glaring flaws that other avid lore follower can see. It might be possible to put the different stories into a reasonable order, but trying to pin them to exact time frames is overambitious to the point of being foolhardy.

The main method of separating events in Norrath's history is by categorizing them in Ages. And yet, Ages are not of a set length. Its more that "this story takes place over a long period of time" and when that major story is over there was a pause before the next Age/story began. Most ages seem to be 1-3,000 years long. The Lost Age is probably the shortest Age and we're not quite sure how long it is. Long enough for a human bard named Katta to establish the Combine Empire and nearly pull half of the world into it, but short enough that there was only one Emperor who died to betrayal. Thanks to the typical "important NPCs live absurdly longer" thing we can't tell exactly how long the human emperor could of lived, but it was probably less than 300 years. Actually the Empire could of lasted for only 10 years and the Emperor himself could of been only 30 when he died. Everything is that vague.

So Norrath isn't millions of years old. Well, actually Norrath could be, but the Dragons and Lesser Races haven't been around for very long. Yay creationism.
  15. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I like the roleplay possibilities that Other Games have: Dragons shape change when they are at the local pub. They each have a race they prefer, but when they are amongst mortals, they (mostly) look like them.
    Ishuna and Prissetta like this.
  16. Ishuna Well-Known Member

I remember in NWN, Deekin? I can't remember if Deekin told you the story, but there was a dragon who came to town disgused as a human because he loved the taste of pie and would have it at the local tavern every so often :)
  17. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

That is awesome lol
    HaphazardAllure and Prissetta like this.
  18. Kelvmor Active Member

6000 years was only the first two thirds of the Shissar Calendar. There's 2,000 years of it that haven't happened yet.

Actually, dragons in Norrath have this ability as well. Tarinax the Destroyer, the undead dragon you fight in Kingdom of Sky endgame, was actually fond of taking the form of an orc, for example, and was revered as an orcish hero. In the Ethernauts stories, you see several other dragons doing this as well, including a member of the Ring of Scale who took the form of a high elf in golden armor. Ultimately, though, these forms of theirs aren't used very often--the dragon in question who took on a high elf's guise only did so to meet with the Ethernauts without drawing the attention a fully-fledged dragon coming to meet them would, and that only happened due to the threat of the Void incursions.

That being said, I wouldn't put it past a particularly eccentric dragon to come down once in a while in a mortal guise, but when you literally have like 5+ people playing concepts like this in a small community, constantly going to taverns, etc., it gets a little tiresome.
    Ishuna and Arielle Nightshade like this.
  19. Meirril Well-Known Member

The Chelsith Calendar is over. The very last event depicted on it has happened. The End of Times has passed. I honestly have no idea where you even pulled any of these numbers from. So as we use to say in the Lore forum: Source?
  20. Rainmare Well-Known Member

I believe he's reffering to an image that was posted that showed 4 'stones' that was supposed to be the calendar, and they the Chelsith Stone was stone 3 out of 4.

As to Mayong and the Ydal story....Mayong supposedly witnessed the Dragons birth on norrath, and is rumored to be 10,000 years old...but it also hints that Mayong's witness may have been from the Plane of Hate, where the Ydal hail, until it the race was in essence reduced down to just him.

and the area of Hate he was in was called Mystmyr...unless that was a realm on Norrath.

as to Tsaph Katta...I was under the impression he wasn't human, but a half-elf/wood elf. Seru was a human..and his longevity was because of his temporal prison/chamber that kept him 'young'.

but I imagine norrath itself is roughly 10k years old, give or take.