Square Enix Is Making The Avengers And More Marvel Games

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by DCUO Post, Jan 26, 2017.

1. DCUO Post Loyal Player

The Avengers Project Video Game Creative Director Offers Update

Last year, Marvel Games signed a deal with SquareEnix for a multi-year and multi-game partnership beginning with The Avengers Project. Crystal Dynamics, the developers behind the Tomb Raider series, and Eidos-Montréal (Deus Ex) are collaborating to create the game, and now we finally have a status update on the project.

"Thanks everyone for all of your interest in The Avengers Project," tweeted Shaun Escayg, creative director and writer at Crystal Dynamics. "We’re hard at work on this very ambitious game, and are excited to share more when the time is right.#reassemble."

Well, no timelines have been revealed in this vague update, but interested fans will be relieved to simply know the game is still in production. Last year, Crystal Dynamics went on a recruitment drive for the game, and given the success of the PS4 Spider-Man video game recently, Marvel Games will surely be pushing to get the project out and capitalize on its traction.

[IMG]
    Shaun Escayg@ShaunEscayg

Thanks everyone for all of your interest in The Avengers Project. We’re hard at work on this very ambitious game, and are excited to share more when the time is right.#reassemble @CrystalDynamics

Recently, Marvel Games took a hit with the planned Guardians of the Galaxygame after Telltale Games underwent massive layoffs and is now facing class action lawsuits from former employees. However, Escayg's update here is a promising one, leaving us intrigued to know what original story is in store for Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Source: https://www.cbr.com/avengers-project-video-game-update/
  2. BƖack Dedicated Player

I've heard that Daybreak will announce this week their new game, source: Daybreak Games is Preparing to Announce a New Game
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 1
  4. BƖack Dedicated Player

5. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Marvel's Avengers: Square Enix

[IMG]

Square Enix, the developer behind Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, is ready to show audiences at E3 a sneak peek at its newest title: Marvel's Avengers.
    The announcement was made via the game's official Twitter account.

"Tune into Square Enix Live E3 2019 for the worldwide reveal of Marvel's Avengers," the tweet reads. "The event -- complete with closed captions -- begins June 10 at 6PM PT. #SquareEnixE3 #Reassemble"
    While this will probably not be Square Enix's only title at E3, it will be the first time audiences see what the company has planned for the Marvel IP after announcing in 2017 it had acquired the license to use the company's characters.

This will not be the only Marvel video game news this summer, either. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order is set to launch on the Nintendo Switch in July, just a month after this announcement. Furthermore, several weeks back, Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon mentioned his desire to make a Marvel vs. DC crossover game (as well as mentioning that he had met with Marvel to acquire the license to use its characters).

Time will tell if more Marvel games are announced in the near future.

Source: https://www.cbr.com/marvels-avengers-square-enix-first-look-e3/
  6. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Square Enix’s Avengers Promises a ‘Defining’ Experience With Co-Op

E3 2019 is coming in less than two weeks, and Square Enix has a potential champion with Marvel’s Avengers. Yesterday, Square Enix confirmed it would bring its new superhero game to the event, with a gameplay reveal coming on June 10. Now, more details about the game have emerged.

Via ComicBook.com, a description briefly listed on the E3 Coliseum page revealed that MARVEL’S AVENGERS will be featured on the show’s official stage. “This is the defining Avengers gaming experience,” reads the description. “An epic action-adventure that combines cinematic storytelling with continuous single-player and co-operative gameplay.”

According to the listing, the game’s features allow players to form a team of up to four heroes, each of whom can utilize their unique abilities. Sometimes, the heroes can even combine their powers. There will also be hero customization, possibly with new outfits and additional items. It also mentions an “ever-expanding” world; which suggests that new areas could open up as players progress.

The new Avengers game also sounds similar in nature to the Marvel Ultimate Alliance titles. In that series, players could choose up to four characters and fight off enemy forces. In Ultimate Alliance 2, they could even combine abilities to create a super technique. Additionally, that franchise will continue this July with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order for Nintendo Switch.

Source: https://www.superherohype.com/video...ers-promises-a-defining-experience-with-co-op

I'm still hoping for the game to be an MMO. :oops:
    • Like x 1
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It'd be interesting if it was, but I've been seeing a couple articles (can't remember where, unfortunately) where their take was something more akin to Anthem or Destiny's take on co-op/online rather than a regular MMO.

Just gotta wait and see, I guess.
  8. Mighty Hyperion Committed Player

I hope they open the game to a wider variety of characters than just the core avengers, all I want
  9. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Is this going to be Playstation only? Like they did with the Spiderman game? :mad:
  10. recoil2 Dedicated Player

i have only 3 questions/criteria; is it on PC? what level of customization does it have? low like marvel heroes or high like champions online/DCUO? and is it free to play?
  11. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Marvel's Avengers Will Feature Hero Customisation, Single and Multiplayer

Marvel's Avengers only got an official title yesterday, but seems to have mistakenly gotten some early gameplay details soon after.

As spotted by Evan Filarca on Twitter (via PC Gamer) a since-revised E3 Coliseum show listing for the game seemed to reveal elements of what's in store from the Crystal Dynamics game. Here's that original description in full:

"Embrace your powers and join key members of the development team at Crystal Dynamics and the creative team at Marvel Games as they talk exclusively about the upcoming Marvel’s Avengers. This is the defining Avengers gaming experience: an epic action-adventure that combines cinematic storytelling with continuous single-player and co-operative gameplay. Moderated by Andrea Rene, assemble in teams up to four players, master extraordinary abilities, customize your heroes to fit your playstyle, and combine powers to defend an ever-expanding world under constant threat."

The mentions of "continuous" single player and co-op, combining powers as a team, and customisable heroes is giving me a Destiny-meets-Injustice vibe that I'm entirely OK with.

Beyond that title, this description marks more or less all the concrete new information we have about the Square Enix-published game at this point, but for everything else we've learned since its very first tease, we've got you covered.

We'll learn more at Square Enix's E3 conference on Monday June 10, and then even more than that at the E3 Coliseum panel taking place on Tuesday June 11.

Source: https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/05...ure-hero-customisation-single-and-multiplayer
  12. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Will the Avengers Video Game Be Marvel's Destiny?

A leak revealed Marvel's Avengers will have "continuous single-player" alongside co-op, but what does that actually mean?

Yesterday we finally got an official name for Square Enix’s hotly anticipated Avengers video game, Marvel’s Avengers. And today, thanks to an E3 panel leak, we have our first details on what it will actually be like to play – although that has actually raised as many questions as it’s answered.

The panel description says Marvel’s Avengers is “an epic action-adventure that combines cinematic storytelling with continuous single-player and co-operative gameplay.” It also states that you’ll “assemble in teams up to four players, master extraordinary abilities, customize your heroes to fit your playstyle, and combine powers to defend an ever-expanding world under constant threat."

Most of that is clear enough… but what the heck does “continuous single-player” mean?

As far as I can tell, it’s not a phrase that has a commonly accepted, standard meaning in the industry – at least it’s certainly not one most players would see and instantly understand. So what could “continuous single-player” imply for how you’ll play Marvel’s Avengers? Time for some informed guessing alongside a good ol’ fashioned dash of wild speculation:

Marvel’s Avengers Could Be a “Games As a Service” Game

The snap assumption many people have made to explain the phrase is that Marvel’s Avengers might be similar to Destiny in structure. Pretty much everyone is following the Destiny blueprint nowadays, so using “continuous” to mean “continually updated” with no hard end isn’t a stretch by any means.

If that’s the case, we could be looking at an Avengers video game where you customize and upgrade your characters before venturing out in either single-player or co-op to take on missions that advance the story. With that structure, it would leave the door open for Square Enix to “continuously” add missions and content to keep things fresh as people play.

Outside of that word, a couple of other clues may point toward the Destiny direction. For starters, ‘single-player action-adventure with cinematic storytelling, co-op, and character customization’ could literally be written on the back of Destiny’s box and fit right in. Even beyond Destiny, games like Anthem, Monster Hunter: World, The Division, and more all fit that bill, and they've all structured themselves around online updates and a live, post-launch service to keep you playing past the credits.

It Probably Won’t Be a Straightforward Single-Player Game

Regardless of post-launch plans, I don’t think Marvel’s Avengers will be a standard, linear story game in the vein of something like Marvel’s Spider-Man, co-op or otherwise. The panel description states that it will “combine cinematic storytelling with continuous single-player” and co-op. That implies that the “cinematic storytelling” part is an entirely different thing from the “continuous single-player” part.

If “continuous” were just being used to mean “linear” then that would be fairly redundant. To me, it points more toward “cinematic storytelling” put into a format where it might not otherwise always exist – like, say, an online co-op game. Destiny and Anthem both had linear stories full of cinematics, but it’s fair to say that they had to be merged with the more persistent online parts of those games rather than being natural extensions of them.

That said, the emphasis on storytelling and customization here does seem to mean that Marvel’s Avengers won’t be a totally freeform co-op game like Left 4 Dead or anything. But, going full speculation mode, I’d be willing to bet it’s still closer to something like Destiny or Monster Hunter: World, with an Avengers hub base where you prep and outfit your characters before going out on story-driven missions.

Another Way to Read "Continuous"

Taking a step back, there’s the Occam's Razor interpretation: We’re reading it wrong. The panel description says “continuous single-player and co-operative gameplay.” While I think the correct way to read that is ‘Marvel’s Avengers will have continuous single-player, and also co-op,’ it could potentially actually just mean ‘Marvel’s Avengers’ single-player and co-op are connected seamlessly.’

As in, the two modes aren’t separated and you’ll keep your customization and story progress between them. It’s not that the world is continuous like in the online games I’ve already talked about, just that your characters are. That’s not really a big deal, but remember that this block of text wasn’t meant to be some special announcement anyway.

If that’s the case, this would essentially just make it a weird way of saying Marvel’s Avengers could be something like Borderlands. You’ll upgrade characters and go through its “cinematic” story either alone or with others, and you can jump in out of co-op as you see fit. In that reality, it could be a totally linear game, an open world one, something like Destiny still, or lacking live service features entirely. Who knows!

Source: https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/05/30/will-the-avengers-video-game-be-marvels-destiny
  13. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Pro:
    - Troy Baker and Nolan North
    - No micro transactions

Con:
    - Character designs look horrible
    • Like x 2
  14. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

i played cap in a sega avengers game...that was 30 years ago..im done playing someone elses hero...if all you do here is play spidey or cap...yet again...sorry thats not enough anymore...and one of the reasons marvel heroes died
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That was not why Marvel Heroes died, not even one of the reasons

And you can guaran-damn-tee, if they allowed customizable outfits (like in DCUO), there will dozens of imitation Avengers anyway, just like you get in, oh yeah, DCUO

As for the character designs, they look a snot-better than the recent 'updates' in DCUO
  16. MrMigraine Devoted Player

I was excited about this until I watched the presentation.

Now I'm firmly in the 'meh' camp.
    • Like x 1
  17. MrMigraine Devoted Player

18. FoolsFire Devoted Player

At least we know what happened to all the tins from the pies Thor ate before Endgame.
    • Like x 1
  19. BackintheSaddle Active Player

This.
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

It's not, it's a single-player with co-op mode, just like Marvel Ultimate Alliance back in the day