Your experience of grinding

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vectore, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Vectore

Share everything you think about grinding. It can be directive grinding, exp grinding or just random weapons to slap an arx medal on. Whether its a boring process, a short hard-working weekend or the last kill you had for your grind was a BR1. Just anything.
    (I started grinding for the Betel since the first week I joined the game, and it was a mix of heroism and teabaggism, and also a few keyboard replacements).
  2. DeadlyPeanutt

be an engie or medic in the largest battles you can find at first... that's how you make a lot of XP
    when you get your favorite class certed up, do what's fun... don't worry about grinding... just play what's fun for you... i don't worry about directives or whatever

usually I engie until i get the daily bonus done and then I do whatever... LA, HA, infil, or just bomb around on my flash having fun
  3. Respawn

Grinding the MANA AI turret to complete the engineer directive tree feels like hell. I've probably give more free kills to snipers than the kills I have on it >_>
    • Up x 1
  4. ALN_Isolator

Why I bought the spitfire in the first place. I have PTSDs about turrets from my time araxiuming sniper rifles.
  5. Respawn

After I get my engie auraxium armor I'm gonna burn the AI turret to the ground and never look back.
    If the spitfire was capable of killing anything I would have definitely taken that route instead...
  6. AlterEgo

Grinding my eyes off for the Betelgeuse. Still hoping they release some update that makes it a weapon without the Orion's stats, but even then, f**k uniqueness for Arx weapons.
  7. Eternaloptimist

Grinding for directives is something I gave up doing a long time ago.........unless the occasional look shows me I'm within five or six points of hitting one.

I generally just play now and I find the directives look after themselves but then there are no directive rewards I'm that interested in. It's just personal satisfaction for me. Using a Phoenix to tot up Max kills and Deployable Destruction is the only one I set out to play for after I got the LMG banner for my TR alt and thought, "so I used all those other LMGs I don't like much for this?"
    • Up x 1
  8. Taemien

Flip on alpha squad boost and heroic boost for 6 months of double exp thanks to dual boost slots. Buy a Krono from EQ for another 50% boost from membership. Play on a continent my faction is low on for another 50% boost. Play on a double exp weekend.

+600% bonus exp. Get 3 certs per kill, a cert per 5 ticks of repair or heal.

Thats how you do it.
    • Up x 1
  9. MikeyGeeMan

Grinding makes me chafe.

I don't grind. I make other factions grind.
    • Up x 1
  10. kesuga7

I max punched 900 Techplant gundeck turrets to death to auraxium my max punch directive ......
    :(

I only managed legit 300 kills in all my time of playing and I did not have any resource boost so I could pull maxes far more often
  11. DeadlyPeanutt

lol.... been there... snipers zero in on the head shot on those things and wait for you to jump on.
  12. Erendil

As a general rule I don't grind in PS2.

Grinding is NOT fun. Killing mans is. So I kill mans by whatever means I find FUN at the time.

The only thing I've ground for in PS2 is the Betelgeuse, and tbh it wasn't worth the pain of Auraxing the old Pulsar LSW and Ursa, both of which were frustrating to use: the LSW because it wasn't the SVA-88. And the Ursa because, well, it's the Ursa.
  13. EPIC389

The potato was a good gun to auraxium. Oh fun times
    • Up x 1
  14. FieldMarshall

I dont mind grinding certs.
    It takes a few hours of Engi/Medic and a repair sunderer to get whatever you want.
    Boring yes, but it doesent take that long.

Directives on the other hand are not only boring, but also frustrating because of how the system works.
    It rewards killstealing and promotes selfish plays. Like holding off your RL to killsteal a MAX instead of actually helping out.
    You either get 100% participation, or nothing at all. Doesent matter if you did 99% damage if someone else gets the kill.
    Its a terrible system for a game that is supposed to be about teamplay.

I really wish directives counted partial points. If you did 74% damage, it counts as 0.74 points. etc.
    That way, you can complete the Annihilator by doing damage. And things like the Lasher would be easier.
    And the "AMS kills" directive would actually be doable.
    It would be fair for everyone, and more fun. I dont see any reason why the game needs to be so frustrating when it doesent have to.
  15. Iridar51

As someone who used to play lineage 2 when I was back in school, I have almost a romantic relationship with grinding. Naturally, I don't want it all the time, same as any sane person, but occasionally I do love to sit and no-life through a day, just for old days' sake, enjoying romance and bittersweet nostalgia.

But that mostly applies to World of Warcraft, like farming faction reputation by killing same mobs over and over on the same spot.

Grinding in PS2 is different.

What absolutely doesn't work for me is grinding certs. It just feels like time freezes. Kinda like sitting through endless class hours in school. The more you look on the watch, the slower the time goes.

So I don't. I just play normally and pursue other goals until I have certs for whatever I needed them. Or better yet, just play normally and once in a while stop and ask myself "what do I do with all these certs?".

What does work is grinding directives. I just set a daily goal and play until I reach it. Then I play some more, if I feel like it. When grinding directives or auraxium medals with certan weapons, I would get up to 300 kills daily. Keep in mind there are robots like GylleBMF and Sightilicious, who get up to 800 kills daily. Every. Single. Day.

My last 2 auraxiums are 2 knifes that got with stalker infil for black camo. I knew the grind would be insufferable, so I set an easier goal of 30-50 knife kills daily. It took a long time, but I did get those 2 auraxiums.

Now I'm down to the last one, and got a load of choice with the anniversary bundle that I got after all... can't bring myself to finish it. Guess I reached the moment of time where I'm sick of PS2 again, and now I have to go on a break for a few weeks.
  16. kesuga7

Looking back now

Runescape 2008 ish was the biggest grind ever

To level my agility skill I had to repeatedly click the same structures over and over for hours on end just to get to lv 30 agility out of 99

Click tree log to walk on - click wall to climb - click rope to climb down - RINSE AND ******* REPEAT

pretty much anyone who was lv 99 in a certain skill had to farm for countless hours doing the same monotonous tasks over and over

Slayer skill was the worst! - kill 300 lizards to get to lv 10 - kill 500 trolls to get to lv 20 - Kill 300 black knights to get to lv 23 -in the same area just waiting for them to respawn
  17. ronjahn

This whole game is a grind. Here's my story:

BR1-99 was epic. Filled with amazing fights, unbelievable kill streaks, grinding for 17 Auraxium medals before BR100, thousands of vehicle kills, and the best gaming experience I have had in my life.

Once I got within 300xp of BR 100, I obviously wanted to complete the journey with something as epic as all the experiences leading up to that moment.

I ran around trying to dumbfire rockets at esfs and got killed over and over. I tried bailing in an ESF to dumbfire another ESF, and splattered against the ground. I tried bailing from an ESF and C4ing a lib only to die to the bug where c4 sticks to me instead, a grabbed a Galaxy to ram a lib and ended up getting chased to death by esfs and AA.

Finally I walked over to the nearest AMP station and grinded out that final 300xp repairing turrets :p
  18. johnway

TBh everything i've done in this game is practically grinding. Even before the directives, i would pick one weapon aurax it before moving onto the next one. Several reasons:

1. Back in the day, certs were difficult to come by and since the default weapons were great, i didn't see the need to instantly purchase another weapon.

2. I wanted the aurax medal for those sweet 200 certs.

3. I get use to the weapon and keep using it. For example, the RAMS. Why would i want to switch to any other sniper rifle when i could have the hardest hitting, long range sniper rifle?

Speaking of sniper rfiles, that weapon has been nothing but a grind fest. I spend 99% sitting back sniping at people from long ranges and screwing the PTFO. Crimes include:

-Sitting in a spawn room to snipe at people.

- Biodome grinding. People who stand near the entrancei can't get close enough as a ha or any other class so i sit back sniping people in cover. A guilty pleasure.

i'm struggling to get the HA directives those AT grenades are absolutely worthless since the nerf and killing maxes is a crapshoot for me.
  19. Liewec123

its soooo much easier using the AV turret for directive grind since you get a point for vehicle kills too,
    so kill someone on a flash and you get 2 points :D

my recommendation for engi aurax would be stickies (easy and very very fun!) and AV turret,
    kills, resupply and repair should all pretty much do themselves without you grinding them :D
  20. ZDarkShadowsZ

I never really bothered to grind for anything because the idea of it makes things unfun. That said, a few months after the directive system was released I decided to try and grind for some directive weapons. I kept forcing myself to play even when I didn't really want to just so I could get some kills or whatever in and in doing that, made myself very bored and frustrated with the game. I then took a couple of months break and only recently returned to play the game I used to, just for fun and without focusing on anything in particular.