You can't balance MAX units via their weapons, change their manouevrability instead

Discussion in 'MAX' started by JonboyX, Jul 10, 2013.

1. JonboyX

Some good posts already on here detailing weapon outputs and DPS. I think, personally, these are flawed arguments for several reasons - they aren't borne out by real world gaming.

Simple things determine how much damage you can do; for example having to tap a mouse button moves your mouse slightly - worse with a double tap. Does holding a button makes it easier to keep a steady aim vs clicking (or not?). Is being able to damage opponents at range but not kill them outright better, or high (but random) spike damage and the ability to surprise head shot them before they can react? Is it right that one empire (NC) can increase their clip size by circa 50% whilst the others can't... or is it wrong that they feel they have to? How do you balance a gun when it's damage before reload is so different!?

Anyway - I digress. My recommendation for balancing max units versus infantry would be to make them less manouevrable. You're never going to make a shotgun balanced in output against a mini-chain gun; they're chalk and cheese, so to repeatedly lower the damage of shotguns, or alter their clip size, is missing the point. If you have a max weapon that can't kill infantry quickly when they're in your sights then it's a poorly designed AI weapon.

What I think should be done is to implement a maximum turning speed in max units. I'd have a slower foot speed in default mode, but bring back the "max travel" mode from PS1 (think a faster run than infantry, but much slower than charge) where your weapons go offline - thus distinguishing it from charge. Max units should be clunky, so spinning on a six pence as they do now, whilst easy to play with, makes them unrealistically overpowered against lighter classes. Having your view-look slowed would allow lighter classes to evade you, or light assaults to jump over you + C4.

Facing your opponent head on therefore should be better rewarded for a max. In particular for the NC, let's have a bit more range please so that if we catch a player head on, they're toast. However if they strafe quickly close in we can't catch them ... I'm thinking a light assault with charge slotted should be able to run rings around you.

For my money, I'd also implement a small foot speed penalty against Heavies ... but that's for another thread maybe.

Just some thoughts there for a different way to approach the repeated buff/nerf cycles.
    • Up x 3
  2. Flashtirade

I would agree to this if they buffed the damage they can tank by a lot. Otherwise this would probably be the greatest MAX nerf since release.
    • Up x 1
  3. john55223

I actually agree with this, surprisingly. The max suits are very difficult to kill with infantry, and unless you are in an organised squad (which are hard to find) where you are all running as a group, you are going to have a bad time.
  4. Kaserai

Mmm, its not a bad idea.. However, maxes are pretty simple to fry if your heavy assault. Two rockets from the launcher and they all die. As long as there is cover, its not to bad. Im not sure why people are asking for nerfs
  5. Morrow

Make MAX's take 100% to 200% more damage then slow them down maybe other than that, this would be a very very bad nerf. MAX's would be pointless sitting ducks.

I think alot of people forget a MAX is an Anti-Infantry unit. One infantry by himself isnt ment to win win win win! when going against a MAX. People need to sometimes understand when something is working as intended.

The amount of people that cry about being killed by NC Maxes in buildings makes me giggle. They arent unbeatable but they are hard to take down unless you have a group, and I for one think thats fair.
  6. CptFirelord

This would be perfect and most likely better if they'd remove the damage nerfs (to weapons, not ZOE ;P) and added these implied changes to the MAX unit. They'd also have to buff the armor. I remember back in PS1 when if you saw a MAX suit you'd actually be scared. Now it's just "Oh, let me fire two rockets".
  7. CptFirelord

The MAX has never been a pure "anything" unit. It's been an all-rounder capable of dealing with anything thrown at it. Just because it has more infantry weapon attachments doesn't make it an AI vehicle.
  8. Morrow

Extracty in PS1 MAX's were scary for squshies and they should be in PS2 also. They are a huge armored AI suit!

I dont think there is even an imbalance for MAX's against infantry. MAX's still die to greater numbers of infantry, all the people calling for nerfs are more than likely taking on a AI MAX solo and expecting that they should come out on top. Its a Joke

Infact the MAX needs a buff to its health more than anything
  9. CptFirelord

Yeah, MAX suit needs such a buff.. there's no reason we should die to 1 infantryman (in fact, on that topic, there's no reason a Heavy with a deci should be able to go toe to toe with a MBT).
  10. Pikachu

I've been thinking of this too. :) If we have it we could compensate by some weapon buff. :D
  11. JonboyX

I'm cautious about suggesting increasing max armour, because currently if you've composite level 5 and (as NC) have the shield maxed out, you can take a lot of punishment head on. I don't know how it is for VS/TR maxes as (by far) I've not spent as much time with them, but I do know that if you gave my max even more armour then it's all I'd ever use :)

I'd settle for lower damage drop off over the next 10 metres (for NC) and a max-run function for being outwitted by a fleet footed light assault. Tweaks to the base bullet/flak resists I'd be fine with, but I'd suggest less bullet, more flak resistance as a base rather than blanket buffs to both. And I wouldn't do anything major.
  12. Phaze

The NC Shield is the dumbest skill ever... Charge makes you 100 times more deadly. I laugh at every stupid NC MAX I see using this. Especially the morons clogging up spawn rooms peeking their heads out and whatnot.
  13. FrontTowardEnemy

This is how it was/is in PS1- MAXes had a limited turn rate. I'm fine with bringing that back, particularly if travel mode was implemented, but MAX HP would have to be increased by about 300%. Otherwise, like posters have mentioned above, they'd be sitting ducks.
  14. Bill Hicks

Good idea. People get caught up in just balancing weapons. The NC max should be real slow but powerful.
  15. Eleo

The mecha of Blacklight Retribution is what a max should've been, they are slow to move (unless you use the drift jet wich is aking to magburner) and to man', but they laugh at people shooting at them with their rifle and an infantry that dare to show its face get instat gibbed at good range.

I'd like to see less Max but more scary ones.

• Up x 1