Xiphos Phalanx Turret

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Prudentia, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Prudentia

So i actually played with it... and liked the Sound and the feel... and than i looked at my stats with it (screenshots are failing me here :eek: )
    18min 35s played (95% after the latest buff)
    2046 shots fired
    18.964% accuracy
    and....
    3 kills....

i feel really sorry for those 3 guys, they must be the 3 worst Players in the world :(

the biggest Problem i have with them, is the fact, that you can't hit enemies who are directly below you, because of the Elevation and can't hit enemies who are in your area of fire, because it is so inaccurate...
    So it either Need a accuracy buff (and a crosshair that Shows the actual COF of a hipfire compensator Gauss saw with Maximum Bloom and not the one of the Basilisk) or some Kind of splash damage so you can actually hit enemies far away with more than one bullet per overheat :eek:
    • Up x 3
  2. Astraka

I've killed more vehicles with the thing then standalone soldiers, if that says anything to its effectiveness on infantry. It isn't as good as an honest to goodness AV turret, but when that's all you have it does the trick.

The inaccuracy is definitely its main problem. I would prefer a MANA Turret to the Xiphos.
    • Up x 1
  3. Prudentia

i guess from those 388 hits with the gun, about 370 were vehicle hits and even then, it still misses half the shots because the COF is bigger than a magrider (i actually tried this when i wanted to annoy an Outfit mate and i couldn't hit him....)
    • Up x 1
  4. Madcat9

I think the only real wall mounted turret that is in a decent spot is the AV one.
    • Up x 1
  5. IamDH

Its such a fragile aspect of the game. If you increase its accuracy / decrease CoF this thing will just clear all infantry in sight

I have never gotten in one to be honest tho

Need to buff it so that its effective at mid ranges maximum
    • Up x 1
  6. Prudentia

i think than i will get the cobalt for my Harrasser, then park it on the wall and will just clear all infantry in sight... :confused: and giving it atleast the accuracy of a Basilisk (which is a buff of about 500%) would make it much more useful without making it a laser
  7. IamDH

Im thinking more of a slow RoF, effective yet hard to use weapon (imagine something like an enforcer with limited range)

So that its good in skilled hands yet bad in bad hands

What you are suggesting is also nice
  8. Zotamedu

They should just throw every single one out of the game and replace them with the AC Phalanx. Those are superior in every way. Much better against armour, much better against infantry, you can actually be aimed and they have a useful range.

The short effective range of the Xiphos means that the enemy needs to be on the walls before you can use them and then it's too late because they are either already hacked or blown up or will be hacked or blown up as soon as you reach it.
  9. Sossen

They should remove the splash from the AV turrets and make the AI turret into a grenade launcher instead.
  10. Prudentia

bump another 300 shots fired, still 3 kills
    • Up x 1
  11. Tommyp2006

accuracy is this turrets entire problem. It's OK for supressing troops, but isn't going to be doing much killing.
  12. Mr_Giggles

I don't like their positioning on tech plants though and it's only because their downward arc sucks. If the enemy can reach your outlying buildings he's pretty much safe, and at a lot of Tech plants that isn't hard to do because the surrounding area has a lot of cover.
  13. Vaphell

their upward arc sucks too. MBTs shelling the impact side base from the road on the circumference of the crater? No problem, AV turrets on the tower don't shoot that high. Same business with tanks shelling Zurvan from the surrounding cliffs. You aren't able to to retaliate against the prowlers deployed near Rusty Mesa Lookout. There are tons of places where the base is in a hole, with tons of spots where you can drive a tank to to blast defenders from near-perfect safety which makes the turret meaningless props at best and death traps at worst. It seems like every other base has such conveniently placed hill nearby, no wonder why bases are painful to defend - 'shooting fish in a barrel' comes to mind.

Imho the whole idea that stationary defenses are to be meh, useless (how many have a giant tree or a rock right in front of them obscuring view?) or even nonexistent and the player based one is where it's at is misguided. Attacker has the initiative, before the defenders get to their business the base is halfway taken and they have no place to even deploy their stuff. The static defenses should be resilient and viable enough to repel at least the first wave and buy time to organize, currently they are dead way before anybody can man them... or 5 seconds later. Another problem is that in low pop scenarios a single vehicle can terrorize a base ad infinitum, eg ESF taking down 2 AA turrets in a airtower in 5 seconds and it's game over - it will be circling waiting to lolpod wannabe repairmen and brave soldiers who step out to shoot at it.
  14. Tcsisek

If they increased its accuracy moved them to were it could cover an entrance to a building or a checkpoint i can see them becoming strategically important for the of fence and Defense as well as making infiltrator hacking more valuable to the offense.