Wrong approach to balance Air and ground vehicles vs infantry

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by axiom537, Jun 18, 2014.

1. axiom537

In my opinion there are basically two things that can be added to this game that would completely change the dynamics and interactions between Infantry and Air/Ground vehicles.

#1 Create natural cover for Infantry around bases and between bases, (NOT WALLS). Natural cover would involve trees and rocks specifically. These natural features break up LOS and create barriers that impair vehicle movement, while providing infantry a porous barrier that can be utilized to not only hide and move relatively freely with out being spotted, but also be used as a shield that infantry can hop out from behind to launch rockets at encroaching vehicles.

I would also suggest that between bases, hedge rows be placed utilizing bushes, trees and rocks, small hills or even soft trenches. These will provide natural cover for infantry and a screen for vehicles trying to make flanking maneuvers around enemy vehicles. It doesn't need to be an impenetrability barrier, it just needs to be thick enough to impair most large vehicles and give infantry cover.

This change alone would have the biggest impact on the dynamic fighting between all vehicles and infantry then any nerf to vehicles.

#2 The next biggest change I would suggest is give Ground and Air vehicles an objective to fight over. Currently, Infantry are the only class in this game that have objectives, that meaningfully impact the fight. Therefore, the only objective Air or ground vehicles have is to either support or deny infantry from reaching those objectives, which some like to call farming, but in actuality the vehicle is simply doing the one thing that would help his side win the fight which is deny the enemy infantry from reaching the objective, while his infantry hold the objective.

What if we added a hovering docking station above a base or major outpost, that had a capture point that would flip to the attackers as long as they had an air vehicle in close vicinity, but if it is destroyed or forced away, then the point would revert back to the defenders.

Something similar could be done for ground vehicles, create a hex or multiple hexes that will flip control to which ever side has the greatest presence of ground vehicles and as these Hexes flip because of vehicle presence, maybe that could impact the capture timer or even give an experience boost.

Or allow bases with multiple capture points to randomly drop an LLU, that must be picked by the attacking infantry and carried back to the nearest facility. We had this in PS1 and if it is random, it would add a new dynamic, that would give both the attacking and defending vehicles an object other then killing infantry, trying to exit the spawn room.

Are there minor changes that can be made to vehicles to improve game play for everyone, sure. I think increasing the sound and making the liberator always show on radar are good changes along with increasing the elevation of MBT main guns, which would allow them to actually shoot at liberators and defend themselves a bit better.

However, overall the above changes I recommend, #1 Increase Cover & #2 Give vehicles objectives would have a much greater impact on improving over-all game play than the current changes being implemented.

NOTE: I would also suggest that new maps have much fewer, but larger bases and get rid of all those little outposts on the lattice. I think its great to have them, for players to utilize offensively or defensively, but I don't think they need to be on the lattice. Spread the fighting out so that players will need to utilize vehicles for travel as it is now you can run between bases in 30 seconds, they are just too close for decent vehicle fights...