Would it be difficult for you to manage an Inventory?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheBloodEagle, Apr 15, 2014.

1. TheBloodEagle

If we did go back to PS1's Inventory system, would it really be difficult for you to manage your ammo & so forth. Or would you enjoy having that level of control & choice?

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Up x 14
  2. Riddlley

Yes please. More options and customisation is always welcome. Along with inventories, can I take my enemies guns home too...? :D
    • Up x 5
  3. Akeita

Then no one care about faction's specific stuff anymore. You will be executed right away if you use other faction's weapon, TR laws.
    • Up x 3
  4. andy_m

It would be great if we could manage inventory and loadout from our "Players" website...
    • Up x 4
  5. FigM

my bet is that PS2 design team thought "should we do inventory? nah, that'll just be an inconvenience to the player. We can make the game better and simply if we avoid that!"
  6. Tuco

No need to get crazy with "classes".

All you really need are 3 original PS1 "classes", or 4 with the addition of jetpack. (Light assault should be like agile, but with one pistol slot taken away, and not be able to pilot/drive)
    • Up x 1
  7. DJPenguin

That command uplink device. How little i used you, how much i miss you.
    • Up x 3
  8. Goretzu

One of the best feelings in PS1 was running completely out of ammo on a killing streak, scavenging up the weapon and ammo off someone you'd killed and continuing it.

It also added a bit of depth to your load out, with planning for space efficency.

I'm just not sure that they can shoehorn it into PS2 now. :(
    • Up x 4
  9. Fangry

and you wonder why people looking forward to PS1 going free to play?
  10. Captain Kid

I don't remember the agile suit in PS1..

Anyway, yes off course I would prefer the PS1 system; I think it was a stroke of genius.

But why make it so complicated. make one suit for Heavy, one for infiltrator and one for Engineer/Light assault/Medic.
  11. FateJH

It would require retooling some fundamental operations of the game and then re-balancing everything else for them. Note that I am recommending the re-balancing, even if no one else does, because things being set up for strict classes is going to end up completely out of wack if any class (within reason) can use that thing so long as they can get their hands on it.

Sadly, I do not believe it would add much for my game. I have played so many inventory-based games over the years that not having to play Tetris with items feels refreshing.
    • Up x 1
  12. Cinnamon

Inventory tetris went out of fashion in game design. Now if they implemented it everything would probably have the same size and shape. The system they put into the recent XCOM game was very similar to the one in Planetside 2.

Personally I think that this sort of decision is a mistake. You can see it as trimming the fat and making a game with modern design but a lot of older games were better crafted in terms of building worlds.
    • Up x 1
  13. Modern Ancestor

Wouldnt be that hard since you could still create layouts. But it simply would not bring much into game. In PS1 you were able to have longer fights in locations where ammo/other item consumption was a factor. These days its cap with 1-3 takes of a point and move on.

Seems to me that bringing anything into game that requires planning or longer attention span is simply no.
  14. Takoita

While I'm not too hot on everybody and their grandma being able to carry a repair and heal tool of their own - I think the way PS2 deals with Engineer and Medic classes was for the best, we would likely not have nearly the amount of people playing as dedicated support characters if Medics didn't have monopoly on AR weapon class, for example - the sheer amount of things I've seen done with ACE deployables and grenade launchers with variable ammo types in videos of old is mindboggling when compared to PS2.
    • Up x 1
  15. Wecomeinpeace

Ofc i would want this, it's cool, lets you customize your loadout way more than rigid classes and also adds immersion. What's not to like?
    It could be easily tweaked in a way that you don't have to play inventory tetris (use weight instead of size for the objects for example), and i just don't buy it that players these days are too stupid to use it properly. It's just not the norm in shooters, which should be a good thing.

BUT there is a huge problem with this system in PS2; I'm fairly sure the servers would simply melt if people could freely drop objects in the gameworld. For some weird reason this game seems to have trouble with too many objects as it is, this would increase that problem tenfold.

Tl;dr: Want it, would not be difficult for players, but servers couldn't handle it.
    • Up x 1
  16. MichaelS

Hmm, i dont think iwant to go back to size limited inventory. But weight limited is fine.
  17. Cirevam

This is what I hate about so-called "modern gaming." But I don't know if it's the players, the developers, or the suits that are to blame.

See above... players may not be stupid, but there are plenty of design decisions in recent games that make it seem that way. But it may not even be that. I saw a video recently (I think it was Game Theory) that showed that games that are "innovative" sell less than games that use "safe" design decisions. Maybe the class system we have now is proven to work and be "safe," so the decision to use PS1's inventory system never happened simply because the suits thought they would get less money if they used PS1's system.

But I don't see why we can't have a mixture of the two systems. I'll choose a Heavy Assault. My primary selection is limited to LMGs, SMGs, and shotguns. But maybe I can use a pistol as a primary and have another as a backup. Maybe I want to switch out my knife for one more grenade, or I want to give up my shield, knife, utility, and suit slots to hold nothing but grenades. This kind of change would necessitate many changes in cert lines and game balance, but it wouldn't be as drastic as switching everything away from a class system to an armor+inventory system. And the Light Assault's jetpack would need to become a tool instead of an ability, assuming that tools were locked to each class so you can't accidentally give up your jetpack because you want ten knives in your loadout.

PS1's servers could handle it and much more. Why can't PS2's servers and Forgelight handle it? That's what I can't stand about Forgelight... Ooooh we can't handle moving doors or world objects. Ooooh we can't handle environmental effects like weather. Ooooh we can't have too many interactive entities (so lets put multiple terminals in every spawnroom for no reason). I just don't get it.
    • Up x 1
  18. Bruno Puntz Jones

There is no need for an inventory in this game.
  19. Tommyp2006

No what they actually thought was

"Should we do inventory like PS1?"
    "No, we can't monetize that, people being allowed to pick up weapons and store them would lose us money"
    • Up x 2
  20. uhlan

PS2 was designed as a no-think "drop-in" game.

The idea being that this would be the only way to maintain "epic" gameplay based around population in a free-to-play game.

This game was built to capture that demographic, the free-to-play "browsers" that'll jump in, shell out some cash for a cosmetic or two and play at their leisure.

All to supplement the game-play of the loyalists (many times paying members) who play often and need targets to farm.

The problem is that the "loyalists" get bored with the system and need more depth which causes additional issues... and much of the whining on this forum.
    • Up x 1