Would hunting for pumpkins outside of an alert be considered stat padding?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Saool, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Saool

Scenario:

I have 30 mins to kill and don't fancy getting into full on competitive fighting (as I can never do that for a fixed period, especially if I am doing badly). So I pull wraith flash and go charging around a largely capped continent, staying well behind the front lines, looking for pumpkins.

I did this today, and it crossed my mind: 'is this stat padding?'

I would not say so myself, however I would hate to have a very highly developed character trashed becuase a GM took a different view.

Does anyone know? Has this come up before?
  2. Nody

Since the only stat you can pad would be your experience (no kills) and they are rare spawn and does not involve anyone else from another faction I can't see how it would be considered stat padding.
  3. Harmaakettu

I think they added the non-alert pumpkins just for the people who want to do the hunt in relative peace or have bad luck with the timing of alerts and available play time. And since the major point of this event is to look for the pumpkins, why should they give a Higby? If they suspend you for that they'd better ban me as well since I found four Galact'O Lanterns by flying around empty continents during early morning hours and got the directive tree done...
  4. MAXArmar

Not a chance in the world that that is stat-padding. I have no clue where people are getting these over-inclusive definitions of "stat padding" from.

As I see it, stat padding only occurs when one either (a) exploits a bug with the intention to pad/reasonably knowing the result is padding stats or (b) agrees with another person (in writing/orally or tacitly) to engage in activities that intend or have as a result stat padding.
  5. Fellgnome

No, it's a completely normal thing to do and isn't abusive in any way. Plus it can't be that amazing for your XP.
  6. Ribero

Did you actually manage to find any doing this? I thought pumpkins spawning outside of Alerts was just a myth.
  7. MajiinBuu

I was unaware that regular pumpkins appeared outside of alerts, they are pretty rare. I found a galacta-pumpkin outside of an alert once.
    No, it is not stat-padding.
  8. Jac70

This is definitely not stat padding. This is playing the game how you want. Stat padding is playing the game against it's spirit or narrative. Having a friend create an alt with an enemy faction and then killing that player over and over again is stat padding.

I doubt you will find many pumpkins like this though, they spawn very sparsely outside of alerts.
  9. KnightCole

Where do these pumpkins even spawn? I tracked the progress of like 2 diffrent ones and it seemed like they spawned in only 1 spot mainly.....VS? 149 TR: 48, NC 12.........Next one? VS: 39, TR 286, NC: 97.....

So what? They huddle in one part of the map and only sparsely spawn elsewhere?
  10. Crowne

If they didn't want people shooting pumpkins outside of alerts, they wouldn't have them spawn outside of alerts :)

I've seen a few, I thought they were just relics from an alert. Then I saw one disappear right when an alert ended so they're definitely spawning outside alerts on purpose.

Have fun.
  11. Zotamedu

No it's not a myth. I have seen one. It might have been the only one but at least one pumpkin has been spawned outside an alert.