World stops rendering, flashing skybox, high seizure risk.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Shadestrike, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Roadhouseman

exactly ... i was monitoring my GPU stats ....always .... the temperature is not the problem. But as G1n said ... it seems its always happening @ high populated areas/battles. Now something strange/interessting ... It happened 3 times yesterday for me ... at third time just before the flickering started (i was on the open plain between crossroad watchtower and crown @ a medium battle) my FPS suddenly increased greatly, absolutely smoother than normal (i think for 10 - 15 seconds/ really smooth !!!!!) and then immediately broke the FPS, also a few seconds (really stuttering and bad) and then ..... flickering / world disappearing.

i never had such a experience before ... especially the FPS boost before the whole thing goes down the drain (stuttering/flickering) ?? o_O

i should have made a video ... damnit :mad:
  2. Yothiel

I've also been having heavy graphical glitches and GPU/driver crashes since release (beta was okay though). I was planning to do some tests on it yesterday but the queues got the better of my patience.

Roadhouseman, that talk about FPS spike is interesting. Now that I think about it, my longest glitchless play session was also when I was recording it (through MSI Afterburner, not with the ingame recording tools). Incidentally, the recording is currently set up to limit FPS to 30. And beta also had quite low FPS.
    I guess I know what my next test will be about.
  3. Pogny

happened to me too in high populated areas, need to restart game to fix it

ATI HD6950 2Go with last catalyst drivers v12.10

not a temp problem, GPU temp is displayed everytime...
  4. Flam3

Alright so after reading through most of the posts saying it was an overheating issue I was rather worried.

I am running a GTX 560 Stock settings and had my fan speed set to automatic which put it at around 22% and my temps were ranging from 35 - 45 degrees while not playing an game, that would increase by a couple of degrees while playing any other game such as Battlefield 3 but it would not go past 50 degrees. (Remember this was at 22% fan speed!)

During the Planetside 2 beta my temps were running fine, similar to what they were like for Battlefield 3 and there was no flickering, but after a couple of hours of playing the full release of the game I started getting the flickering that others are having especially in high populated areas, that's when I came on to check it out on the forums and seen that the dev said it sounded like an overheating issue and that a couple increased their fan speed and the flickering stopped. So I tried that... I set my fan speed to 60% and my temps are ranging from 28 - 30 degrees while not playing a game. BUT when I started playing Planetside 2 the flickering had stopped but my temps shot up to 55+ degrees sometimes it went over 60degrees, that's when I decided that I would not want to risk my GFX card overheating to the point that it damages it and I do not plan on playing the game until the devs are able to look into the matter and hopefully fix it.
  5. Guss

Same Problem, i monitored gpu/mem.
    But its so laggy i cant play anyway ^^

edit:
    @ Flam3 60 °C is ok for a gpu
  6. Shnooter

Yea I have this issue as well, Nvidia Geforece 560. This is clearly a major bug with the game with it affecting so many people and should be a high priority fix... makes the game unplayable.
  7. IdleJuice

I get the exact same issue. I can see players and explosions, and a few random objects, but apart from that its just a big sky box everyone floats around in. I found when i move my cursor over certain textures it stops, but then when i move it back its comes back. Could this be the cause of high flickering speed? due to the fact people are sprinting around and bobbing about?

Its making the game unplayable and very disappointing right now. I invited 3 friends last night and we had a great time initially, but they were all put off by both this and the high server lag on EU Miller.

Also why is there no United Kingdom in the sign up area?
  8. NostalgiaForInfinity

I had this issue today on Indar during an intense battle. Eventually the game froze then crashed. Not prone to seizures but only a minute gave me a headache.

i7 920 4Ghz
    AMD 6950 stock
  9. Ophicuhus

I'm sure that there are cases where overheating is an issue, but this isn't one of them. This is an old bug from beta that has come back in to the game. Everyone I know has it and we all have a variety of graphic cards and CPUs.

As a matter of fact, I have experienced a number of classic bugs that still haven't been fixed. All bug reported, apart from this one because I knew there would be a thread about it.

TSR-JoshuaM, did you play in the beta? If you did I would be very surprised to hear that you never encountered this bug.
  10. Madchad

are you guys on miller server ?
  11. NostalgiaForInfinity

12. AvengerUK01

I have this issue so badly today, SLi is totally broken, single card is only slightly better.

Was fine yesterday...
  13. Hodo

I had this exact issue lastnight, my CPU and GPU temps were...

CPU-175deg F.
    GPU-140deg F.

I moved away from the location that was causing the flashing, and it went away, I played for another 30min till the game crashed without it coming back.

My CPU when playing the game sits around 170-180deg F while playing. The hottest I have had this dual core is 245deg F, I know critical failure point is about 230F.

My GPU NEVER gets over 160F in PS2, and has only reached 180F once in another game.
  14. Kayos

I'm happy to report I didn't have this issue yesterday after that small patch. Not sure if I was just lucky or not though :)
    Will find out tonight I guess.
  15. MasterMeNL

HOW TO FIX THIS: Just turn off and on (or on and off) VSync. It does reinitialize so it gets rids of the flickering!
    End of bold text. I hope this works for you guys too!
  16. r0xz

after i installed the new nvidia beta driver today i had this problem, too. i thought it was the drivers, but i still have the error after i rolled back the drivers.

gforce 550 ti
    woodman EU
  17. Sketcher__

it's not the graphics card or the drivers or overheating, it's a bug in the game itself!

Miller server has lag and this flickering bug, Cobalt has no lag but the flickering bug which leads me to believe that the problem
    is pertinent to the game itself.
  18. TheStigma

Trust me when I say that this is not an overheating issue but a game-bug (or well - also possible some sort of driver issue where it reacts specifically to something about PS2). it has been well-known throughout beta (but seemed to not always be an issue depending on what patch version we were playing). Now that it is back my outfits TS server full of complaints about the same thing regardless of hardware being used. It actually seems like it triggers on different clients at the same time due to something happening in-game so it is very obvious that it has nothing do to with a hardware or overheating issue on a single computer.

Considering that this is such a very common and old bug, its a little disconcerting that you as a tech-support representative don't recognize it. Maybe you just haven't been involved in the beta process I guess... fair enough. This issue has no doubt been bugreported a billion times by now though so there probably isn't much more we can do about this until the coders get around to fixing it - maybe you can tell them how many are being affected by this though (which is pretty much everyone) and perhaps give it a little higher priority in the bugfix queue. Apart from being a "showstopper" bug it is a fairly "painful" experience.

I will add a few more things ive noticed about the issue:
    - Seems to trigger for many people in the same area at the same time
    - Seems to go away on its own after a minute or two, but often returns shortly afterwards if it first has triggered once
    - Often preceeded by a full-on freeze that lasts a few seconds (almost seems like the client is about to crash)
    - Client seems to run poorly in general after this event happens. Only way I have found to properly "fix" the issue is a full client restart.
  19. Izidir

It happens to me to... several times and end with a game failure.

But for me it ONLY happens on MILLER, i've played on Ceres and Mattherson fighting on large engagement with dozen of tanks, hundreds of bullets flying around but nothing happen, just on miller.
  20. Roadhouseman

Iam playing on Miller too......