Working for XP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Toast, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Toast

If you're not desperately trying to get kills at a steady pace, or dropping ammo packs / healing people like a bot you earn pretty much no XP. Am I correct in that assumption? (I know you can engage in Sunderer races but that's really the same sort of thing I'm talking about.)

I know that you get a token 1-8 certs per day if you log on. But this is so negligible it doesn't really count for anything.

I logged on for just a moment and it already felt like a chore.

Some people will say "Oy! you just want rewards without earning them!"

My response in that's right, I think sacrificing my time is enough. I don't feel as though I should frantically grind around for a piddly amount of XP which may or may not come.

TL;DR This game is a chore.
  2. khai

Something tells me that MMOs are not for you. My suggestion is to do like most of the rest of us and just ignore the certs and just play the game. It is a fun game and is not a chore if you do not actually set out to grind just go out and play. Get a squad/outfit and take some territory. it's not like half the stuff you can buy are actually worth getting.
  3. zolop

It is a F2P Game, SOE/Devs need to make money somehow, so they cannot make every weapon/cosmetics a cheap price. At least in PS2 once you buy it for your character its your for that characters lifetime. Everquest 2, if your not paying subscription highest level you have to PAY to put on every armor at the higher levels, not to mention paying to upgrade your skills to a higher spell teir. DDO does it right, you buy the race/class, the player can equip all related armor to the class and the highest tier spells for the bought race/class. Many people brought up in the beta making a tier structure paying system at different levels of $$ but its was stupidly completely ignored. They'd might have made money off of me monthly, but not at $15 per month after I already bought the Alpha Squad Deal, I'd rather use that money for EVE Online or AnarchyOnline.com (or for indie games).
  4. iGamer1990

if you love killing stuff and not worrying about certs you will gain really quick
  5. Bloodburn

The OP is right. The thing that is missing is half of thet support exp that planetside 1 had.

In ps1. if you piloted a galaxy, or was driving a vehicle, you would get exp if crew members killed things using the guns on your vehicle, or if people bailed out of your galaxy and ended up killing people. As far as I can tell that isnt in planetside 1. which basically makes flying a galaxy or driving a vehicle pointless in terms of advancing your character.

Also i see no squad exp. Your squadmates killing something and only that person gets exp, not everyone in the squad. That should be in the game too, but it aint.
  6. Toast

But I don't even know that yet. I just ran around for 10 minutes and was then killed out of nowhere by a tank. This has happened before. I don't think I've fired a shot actually.
  7. premiumcontent

Firing the weapons will help you get xp. That souds like your biggest problem.

But in all seriousness I sucked it up pretty bad when I started playing the beta and it took a few playing sessions before I figured out what the hell I should be doing. I enjoy the cert rate as it is now. You should wander about the game and try stuff out first.
  8. wolfva

I beg to differ. The OP is wrong. YOU are right. He himself has stated that he doesn't want to 'work' for experience, that he feels 'sacrificing' his time is enough. Which says to me he just wants to loll about on the sofa eating cheesey puffs while shouting at his mom to get the door. He doesn't actually want to engage in playing the game; he wants rewards with out effort. What you said requires effort, and to be honest I wish that was in effect. Heck, in beta I saw many a very good, dedicated Galaxy pilot that more then earned their experience...except they didn't get much, if any.
  9. Vincent

Im to up to about 400 certs so far today, not seeing the problem here =X.
    • Up x 1
  10. Lavalampe

I played 3 hours yesterday and i got exactly 20 cert points.
    Just move your butt in the fight and xp will come and say "hello"
  11. khai

It is a war out there (or closer then any other game) a very very very disorganized war and if you are not careful you are dead. Dont feel bad though everyone does runs around and dies when they first start playing if anything 10 minutes is longer then it normally takes. This game is like nothing that has come before, PS1 is the closest and there are enough differences that even vets have problems when switching over so you need to take some time and learn to play.

My suggestion is to join a squad that is actually doing something. Auto join squad is insert. If they are not actually working together and have just joined to be in a squad try a different squad. Now that you are in a squad that actually is acting as a unit you can drop pod to the squad leader by pressing the M key to bring up the map and selecting squad from the hotspots then deploy. Now try to work with your squad and support each other and kill stuff. These pug squads are also recruiting locations for alot of outfits and thats where the effective players tend to be.

This is a huge set of maps if you are experienced you can go it alone with few problems outside the obvious that 2 of them will almost always kill 1 of you and they tend to come in 12s. So join up with someone who can show you where the enemy actually is and hopefully has a AMS sundy.
  12. Cierria

I have to correct you on that doing anything in this games gives you exp, I for one pilots a galaxy and i gets tons just flying around due to my gunners killing stuff
  13. Bloodburn

Ahh I must have misread his post.

But yea, the passive support exp gain from planetside 1 really needs to be in planetside 2. Rewarding people for not only flying them in a gal, or driving them around in a sundy, but also keeping those vehicles alive! thats the hard part. Right now the pilots get jack squat in terms of exp if they are dedicated drivers of those support vehicles.

I loved being a gal pilot in ps1, I would ferry people around and get exp from them doing their job after bailing from my plane. Was great.

Also shared squad exp should have been in too, it would promote more squads to work together.
  14. Bloodburn

so you get exp when a gunner kills something? When did they add that?
  15. Phasics

think I saw team xp boost you can .... purchase ;)
  16. Spiffmeister

You get 1 cert for every 250XP you earn.

Make sure you're with a squad and you should notice a pretty big increase in the certs you earn. It probably just seems slow because most upgrades that are worth a damn cost 50-100 certs.

Pick a role you want to play a lot and focus on upgrading that.
  17. Elbryan

Yes, if you are not playing the objective(s), you get no exp.

Why should you?

Advice: Play the game for fun. Not for exp and unlocks. Unlocks are just a bonus that come with time. If you're only interested in Sundy/Flash races, then you barely need any unlocks anyway. =)
  18. Jaloro

Its been in forever. In fact this whole thread is full of drivel.

Player spawns at Sundy ... XP!
    You spot a player that is subsequently killed ... XP!
    Your gunner in a vehicle kills **** while you drive ... XP!
    Passenger drops from your Gal and kills stuff ... XP!
    You string a few kills together ... XP!
    You heal someone ... XP!
    You rez someone ... XP!
    You repair something ... XP!
    You press the buttons on your keyboard ... XP!

In fact the only way you could fail to get XP would be to sit in the warpgate eating pizza and making belching noises in proximity chat. Although to be fair I've not tried that and I wouldn't be surprised if you did.
  19. Vreki

Surely this has to be a troll?
    Complaining that he has to play a game he doesn't like in order to level up in a game he doesn't like?

Ignore him and let evolution handle the rest.
  20. RoaRawR

rank = don't mean ****
    certification = at start they will be a major upgrade to get scope, ams ect but later it is just fine tuning

you want to play a chore? play a mmorpg and come back, just play for fun and see the certification as " you done a good job, let me give you a little help you can improve the way" cert help allot for new weapon like rocket pod but it is not so unbalanced like msot mmorpg is from each other