Wingsuit?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by GaBeRock, Feb 17, 2014.

1. GaBeRock

I'm considering making a suggestion for a "wingsuit" as a replacement for the LA jetpack, and want input on it.
    Basic details:
    Costs 100 aerospace. If the player doesn't have enough Aerospace, the game defaults to jump jets.
    No Aquisition Timer
    While in flight, the light assault can use primary and secondary weapons but reload times are greatly increased, and they can only aim in their direction of movement.
    No V thrust.
    LA must aquire speed before using it, whether from jumping off a cliff or dropping from an air vehicle.
    LA lands by using a parachute after dropping speed. Parachute is deployed with a hotkey, and can be deployed even if the wingsuit wasn't in use. The downside is that either it takes some time to retract a parachute, or parachuted function like ammo (as in, you get three parachutes to begin with, then need to recharge.) Parachute can be manuevered with, but LA cannot shoot while in it.
    Once the wingsuit it deployed, the LA renders at vehicle range, and functions essentially like someone mounted on a flash (the wingsuit has its own health, and can be destroyed, or you can kill the.
    Max speed ~140 kph (higher with afterburners/racer frame equipped.)
    Can be equipped with flares/regeneration for cheap, but both are considerably worse than their ESF counterparts.

Rationale:
    This would provides several benifits:
    A: more airborne targets, so newbie ESF pilots have something to do other than getting relentlessly sealclubbed by lockons/aces.
    B: make LA more attractive to squad leaders, as they now have a cheap way to get close air support.
    C: Emphasises the LA role of flanking the enemy.
    D: Large groups of LA doing this would look really really cool.
  2. Masterofm

Huh.... actually I'm not super thrilled on this idea as something you can only equip on a light assault.....

However I actually think some kind of air version of a flash would be super awesome.
  3. Iridar51

Fail to see the purpose. Galaxy, filled with any classes does pretty much the same.
    Carbines are very ineffective at range, so wingsuited players will have trouble hitting anyone, let alone killing.
  4. GaBeRock

My primary concerns with this as a vehicle are that
    A: it decreases versatility, as it would have to be grabbed from a terminal, instead of being as easy as some LA climbing a hill and immediately giving air support.
    B: HA would benifit the most from this, as they have the most powerful primary weapons, and making a heavy class the best at using a light vehicle doesn't make much sense.
    C: once there's an air flash, why would people bother using the regulaur old ground flash? (Infiltrators excepted, of course.)
  5. GaBeRock

Ability to use weapons is just to give some minor defensive capabilities to the use, this is meant to quickly transport a single person, not as a super cheap anti-infantry air option.
    Sunderer does the same job as a flash, plus more, but people still spawn flashes. This wingsuit would be the cheap option. Galaxy is better when you have scale (5+ players) since resources per person decreases, but the wingsuits are better transport options for smaller groups. Plus, someone in a wingsuit could just re-equip a jetpack later, or even an entirely different class, without worrying about aquisition timers.
  6. Shadowhunter1

how about instead of winged suits, or jet packs, why not a grappling hook. that way LA can literally get anywhere they want still. yes i said it, make the LA like batman, hell give them a bat-erang for a 2ndary weapon for laughs. that way people will get their versatility and a little comic book fun too.
  7. Iridar51

What's this then?
    The "cheap version" of the galaxy is called ESF.
  8. DeadliestMoon

Its "bat-a-rang", and having a grappling hook is pointless when LAs already have access to JETPACKS! In short: No.
  9. GaBeRock

ESFs have an aquisition timer, unlike my suggestion.
  10. Shadowhunter1

if you have never played lost planet, then you really don't understand.... you can hang from the ceiling like batman and shoot people instead of wasting fuel or timing the hover right.

so yes, very much a yes....
  11. Masterofm

Lost Planet..... huh..... ever play a game called Tribes 2?
  12. starlinvf

We also had drifter jets reworked, and then completely backed out of it despite not having a working advantage. But those few days were entertaining nonetheless.
  13. Shadowhunter1

i played tribes 2, they worked the slide glitch into the game and made it semi-fun, i still prefer lost planet, back to my MAIN REFERENCE ABOUT THE GRAPPLING HOOK! where as i was SAYING, grappling hook for the LA to hang there instead of flying around, and since it would be silence then no one would notice you guys around and give you guys an extra advantage, but since you guys are trolling me instead of actually looking it what i have offered.
  14. Masterofm

That is certainly a bold statement and accusation about trolling, but if you wish to use caps to emphasize your point about the grappling hook then so be it.

I brought up Tribes because of how people used the grappling hook as a way to quickly move around terrain. The slide glitch was also called skiing just for terminology reference. Lost Planet, a game I also played, did let you chill up in a hole and blast people/monsters. But, and it's a big but, in that game a tactic like this wasn't so bad for the fact that everything was bigger and more powerful then you so being super cheese was an expected way to play the game. It is also primarily a single player game. Which is why I was pointing to Tribes and wondering if you have played it and used the grapple mechanic in a larger multiplayer environment as tribes 2 both used jet packs and grapple guns together, so in my book I think Tribes fits both mechanics closer then Lost Planet ever could.

Do you want some actual feedback then? Your idea lacks any form of being fleshed out. You have given no grapple distance, your idea is that it just allows you to hang from all these different positions without having to waste fuel (which the whole reason the fuel is in as a LA is because it's a checks and balances system,) if you can use your weapons it also means you can drop C4 on people. It would also make biolabs and other areas that have high ceilings like tech plants and even amp stations to be a nightmare to attack. Due to the fact that LA's will just cling up in the rafters and drop C4 when maxes/tanks/people try to run in.

If Light assaults need an extra advantage they don't need an extra advantage like the one you are suggesting. It would make them the best class in the game. I would stop pulling medic, or engi, or heavy because if a LA could do that during infantry battles? They would be an absolute beast to let them just chill up in any place they desire.

I get that you want to be like batman when you play a video game. Batman is fun. Batman is also OP.