Will this small upgrade make a noticeable difference?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by NaySayer, Jul 22, 2013.

1. NaySayer

Hello everyone. I currently have the i5 2400 Sandy Bridge @ stock speed&stock cooling (see sig for specs). A friend of mine is willing to sell me his i7 Ivy Bridge to me for less than $100. I'm not sure which speed it is, waiting on him to reply. This sounds like a really good deal so I'm probably going to buy this regardless. But out of curiosity, will this bring noticeable improvement to ps2?
  2. xVirtue

A small difference (5-10) in terms of FPS, but the deal itself is great.
    • Up x 1
  3. fumz

What motherboard and video card do you have? IB is able to use pci-e 3.0. It can, in some games, lead to a bit higher fps if your board and your card also support it.

What's going to make the most difference in this game is clock speed.
    • Up x 1
  4. NaySayer

Mobo is msi p67a-gd55 and videocard is msi twinfrozr3 gtx570 pe/oc
  5. fumz

P-67's don't do pci-e 3.0. You're not really missing out on anything though, so don't take it that way. You'll still have better performance going up on the cpu... and really, the diff between pci-e 2.0 and 3.0 is mostly negligible; not always, but mostly.
    • Up x 1
  6. TheAppl3

99% of the gain will be had through the difference in clock speed. An i5-2400 is a 3.1/3.4 while a 3770 is a 3.4/3.9 - I would guess a ~5fps gain. Noticeable? Yes. Worth it? Not sure.