Why were A2A missiles nerfed?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by The_Shruberer, Feb 11, 2013.

1. KingComp

The lock on needed nerfed, whether they over did it, Idk, but with the broken lock on warning , it's pointless to whine about anything else.
    • Up x 1
  2. The_Shruberer

I propose we have a non-lock on A2A missile that does immense dmg to air units only. Does this sound fair? It's not the lack of aiming I have a problem with, it's the lack of a viable pure A2A weapon.
  3. phungus420

I would love dumbfires for the ESF. If they were just like A2A missiles, but didn't need lock on and did 2x the damage to air and moved fast enough, would be a great alternative.
  4. VexTheRaven

Honestly I find it easier to spray bullets and hit my target than to use A2A. I chased a target all the way from the canyon south of Zurvan to the Palisades and never managed a lock.
  5. {joer

One mans ruin is another mans "ABOUT DAMN TIME".
  6. Fox Reinhold

Bringing out the A2A missiles makes them squirm a little and start to get stupid. This is especially nice when you have to distance upgrade and can get a lock from a far range. Fire the missile, watch them freak a little or waste their flare. Meanwhile you close the distance, bring out the Hailstorm, and waste them. Especially nice with Libs who love to pop the flare and continue to to bomb away, thinking it was a ground lock on and they have a few moments... NOPE!
  7. GraphicJ

What do you mean by "Lack of A2A" ? Do you mean an even better lock on fire and forget missiles for the ESF?

Also don't forget about the Double AA MAX Busters, AA Turrets, AA on Sundys, AA and so on. These guys are hindering Air combat so much that peeps can't have dogfights any more.

-------

One shot kill Guided missiles or Super Fast one shot launchers are actually better than lock Ons. It isn't that hard to aim and shoot at a hovering or parked aircrafts. 50-75% damage for this "immense damage" weapon is ideal but not as a final "one shot" kill super weapon. If it's huge like that It'll put all Air at worse state than it currently is.
  8. The_Shruberer

I see you missed some crucial parts of my posts. Yes, I said I dislike the lack of viable A2A options, NOT the lack of lock-ons.

Let your imagination run wild with those two premises.
  9. teeeto

hear hear, I demand a refund for A2Am. its hard to aim with A2Am BEFORE THE PATCH already now i have to force to use my nose gun.

btw im no scrub.
  10. {joer

I had two good dog fights in a row, over a real battle.

It was GLORIOUS.

You whiners go away. Sure the G2A is still buggy as all hell, and you better see that lock on flash cause it goes away, the missiles are not rendered and can't be dodged, BUT at least I don't have dozens of newbs spamming A2AM on me.

You can keep my SC for them, I do not demand a refund, only a scrub wants a refund.
  11. phungus420

Why would I want a refund. They still work fine. I just don't feel as dirty using them now.
    • Up x 1
  12. Idono

Wow. Another shine thread. There's a thing called aiming. That's what they implemented into the equation. All kinds of lockon missiles are quite strong right now. And something the OP didn't even remotly reflect on was the fact that Missiles are prettymuch undogable right now. They are now predicting paths of vehicles and intercept them. Thus making it even harder for any player to effectivly drive/fly.

If anything lockon missiles need to be removed completly. They are useless no brainer weapons that are there for the unskilled masses.
  13. The_Shruberer

Ok maybe after the 3rd clarification, people will stop saying I'm complaining about 'lack of aiming'. I don't care at all ( read: 0%) about the ability to lock onto an aerial vehicle. I care about the removal of a viable option for A2A combat. Unfortunately SOE won't let me edit my original post since it's been too long, or something.

Basically, look at the F-15 vs. the F-18. Or the F-22 vs. the F-35. One is an air superiority fighter, and the other is better suited for hit-n-run bombing. I would like an F-22 style option - an option to remove my abilities to hit ground targets, and instead augment my ability to attack air targets.
  14. GraphicJ

I see you read over the part where I specifically asked "What do you mean by "Lack of A2A" ?"

That's all right you now have the chance to read it again and try to answer the question...again.
    "Let your imagination run wild with an answer"
  15. joe smo

true, the lock-on radius is now the circle sights and not a big a$% box meaning you have to track your target.
    it is also a buff to stealth cert because you have more time to break the lock and i have been thinking of certing it for A2A instead of flairs.
  16. The_Shruberer

Oh I didn't misread it, my friend. When you followed up with:
    "Do you mean an even better lock on fire and forget missiles for the ESF?"

You seemed, in my eyes, to have missed my point in my previous posts and even a suggestion in another post prior to that concerning a dumbfire A2A weapon. I felt it necessary to clarify the conversation, instead of leaving us talking in circles, which we now seem to be.

In such a case, I will again reiterate my idea:
    [Suggestion] Dumbfire A2A weapon that tears through air units at the cost of inability to damage ground targets.

What do you think of the idea?
  17. GraphicJ

Oh don't get me wrong. I like the idea. It involves skill so i'm up for it. Just as long as it's not a one shot kill and like you said, only applicable to aircrafts. Maybe 80-90% damage?

But again this can't be done until the lock on bug and render distance issue is fixed. Imagine mysterious, unrendered creatures shooting off death rockets at you from who knows where? I'd rather take invisible Lock Ons. :eek:
  18. 7Elite7

Your post here sounded reasonable, but once I read this I kinda puked a bit. The hailstorm/rotary IS a viable A2A weapon. It's also great for shooting infantry, tanks, and turrets. But it's intended for air combat. The fact that you ignore its viability is kinda insulting.

That said, dumbfire rockets that do double damage to air and very little to other targets sound fine with me. They'd be complete garbage, but if people use them over A2A homing then I'm happy. (Sidenote: A2G rockets are amazing in dogfights as they are)
  19. Idono

There's a reason for the A2A not being as strong. It's easy to dumbfire down stuff and that's not an option in any game. Skill is always going to be the main factor and should be. If you want to be an effective A2A pilot you need to combine both lockon weapons and the vortex. My self i don't need to since i can easily kill ESFs with the reaver. Even when the aim on that thing is 10 times worse than the other ESFs.
  20. The_Shruberer

Lol, my apologies for the taste of stomach acid. I guess I failed to properly word my thoughts. I'm interested in a choice of sacrificing significant A2G capabilities at the augmentation of A2A capabilities (you know, give pilots a choice). As it stands, Rotary+Rocket pods seem to be the only reasonable weapon of choice.

As a HA I have the choice to have a G2A lock on rocket, a G2G lock on rocket, or a mix of both with some drawbacks. This is the kind of choice that makes a game interesting, and emphasizes strategy and tactical work.