Why the Spawn XP change is terrible

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fellgnome, Sep 24, 2014.

1. M1kst3r1

- the XP update is not punishing anyone, players just aren't getting rewarded for spawn camping anymore
    - the XP update is not supposed to fix spawn camping, it promotes playing on the control point
    - spawn camping is still going to exist as it is a good or even best tactic to take the base
    - the XP update discourages farming

Be my guest, keep spawn camping and farming 0 XP and 0 kill credit by:
    - being in an advantageous position (boring)
    - standing still playing whack a mole (boring)
    - coordinating with your trigger finger (boring)
    - taking the easy way out (boring)

I will hang back at the control point and earn the XP and kill credit by:
    - having an even playing field for both the defender and the attacker (fun)
    - getting into intense fire fights in the good parts of base design (fun)
    - coordinating with my team to ensue better results (fun and even more XP)
    - challenging my self (fun and the sole reason I play the game)

In your post you never mention why you are against the XP update other than it's futile. What if it works and players change their playstyle? What if, after the XP update, you are in the minority camping the spawn with no XP or kill credit and getting overwhelmed with spawners every time?

Fix the bases you say. Do you have any idea how long it takes to fix the base design in all the bases or that is it even possible to do with the current mind set of the spawn campers and farmers?

You care to share your farm tool stats? ;)

I also posted this to reddit about this subject with some references to what was actually said by Higby and arguments on why this is a good thing:
    http://dk.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2hbpjf/higbys_xp_update_objective_play_and_spawn_camping/
  2. Corezer

The solution to spawn camping is simple...

Increase timer to respawn at a location you have already spawned in more than once in the last minute. So if you're clearly getting spawn camped like your sunderer has been taken over, you actually make the tactically superior decision to keep defending from a new location by coming back, possibly in vehicles, or to start fortifying the next base.

Additionally, make spawn kills not count as a death for the victim, this helps prevent tilt by taking away the perceived need to "make up for it" and beat your face into a meat grinder, so that they are more likely to see that it would be better to spawn elsewhere.

Not rewarding players for making the tactical decision to control the source of enemy forces, and choosing to continue controlling that source for as long as enemy forces come from it, is just stupid.

People will camp the spawn for as long as people come from it, and of course they will specifically avoid destroying the sunderer, my goal is to capture that base and as long as you want to keep being dumb as hell and spawning there it aids my faction to leave the option available to you. If I blow up the sunderer who knows which of the 3-5 different options you will choose, who knows if my side has control there, etc.

Until you implement a system that encourages players to spawn elsewhere, the problem will never see relief.

If teleporters took you more than 3 feet from the spawn room that would help too... some bases haven't gotten the memo...
  3. Jeslis

Except for the fact that the newly spawned player is actually an extremely skilled player who just happened to die once.. and is now exiting the spawn again.. where you *could* kill him for zero xp.. but instead, you don't cause you're SOOOO Against spawncamping.. and then he gets to his good position and kills 10 of your guys.

Yes, that was the right choice, let him live, exit the spawnroom so that when you finally kill him again after he kills you three times, you'll get that EXTRA BOUNTY! Zomg!!!
  4. maxkeiser

This will make ZERO difference to how I and most of the experienced players play the game.

The point is to capture the base. The best way to do this is to suppress the enemy at the place where they come from i.e. the spawn room or the buildings nearest the spawn room.

Why the hell would I let the enemy leave the spawn room, walk across the base and fight me at the control point? That is completely counter-intuitive. I want to completely stop them at source - at the spawn room. I don't want to have to contest the control point if I can avoid it. Indeed, often if you let the defenders get to the control point the battle is lost. You will lose control and be pushed out.

And I don't care about XP. The point is to take the base not go XP farming.
  5. Seryi

If you don't care about XP and will continue to play to take the base, then what's the issue?

You'll still be able to keep the defenders in their spawn if you overwhelm them on the field, you just won't be able to pad your stats by doing so.

Yes, it doesn't fix the issue of preventing spawnkilling, but if you actually watched the stream, you'd realize Higby himself said it wasn't meant to do that, it was just to encourage people to do something else and cutting back on rewarding farmers.

If you don't care about it and want to keep the enemy in their spawn so they can't defend, it doesn't change that because it was never meant to do so. The XP changes are aimed at farmers.