why PS2 has vehicle spam

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by darkagent, Feb 13, 2013.

1. darkagent

this is just a comparison and nothing else as i cant find a solution to fix this.

through out planetside 1 they had a certification system that allowed you to unlock certain utilitys and equipment, but you could only unlock so many things at one time. most people dumped their certs into medic and engineer so they could repair their armor and health on the go and also of course heavy weapons like the chaingun/lasher/jackhammer etc. so most players only had a few certs left for a vehicle and most had a buggy or lightning or a mosquito. pretty much a light vehicle with a low timer for fast travel around the continent. not everyone had a BFR certed or a liberator certed or an MBT. the split gunner driver also helped mitigate this as not everyone was a good driver or used team work.

If i remember correctly light tanks where 2 certs heavy tanks where 3 certs, a BFR was 5 and then the BFR classes i.e. anti air anti infantry where 2 each. so thats 14 certs just put into a full armor character. if you where only BR rankd 15 or 16 thats a significant amount of your certs leaving you with very few guns and making you a dedicated tank driver. (i may be wrong on the BR its been a while)

Planetside 2 doesnt have any of this, everyone has access to everything. this is why armor spam exists. the resource system doesnt work as it only punishes the losing empire and timers just frustrate gamers. this game doesnt allow for full customization of a character like planetside 1 did. you could be anything you wanted or a mix of a few different things. planetside 1 also allowed characters to forget certs and regain them back so they could cert into different things. not giving everyone everything made the game dynamic and allowing players to customize their character the way they want them made each character unique.

no everyone could pull a MBT or a reaver or a liberator, not everyone could pull a galaxy or a lightning, vehicle spam wasnt really that big of an issue because not everyone had them all. when outfits would do vehicle spam nights everyone would have to forget their certs and wait another 8 hours to recert into something else.

I am not sure as to how the developers with combat this vehicle spam issue but this is just some things i have notice that could be causing the vehicle spam.

PLEASE add to this and maybe we can come up with a way to combat the vehicle spam
    • Up x 4
  2. Lendiggity

Make vehicles cost 50,000 certs before you have access to them... problem solved..
  3. Accuser

SOE doesn't want to stop vehicle spam.
    Their design philosophy is "you shouldn't have to wait for anything", which means you can always be in a vehicle.
    They'll try to justify this by saying that most kills are made by infantry, but this is really the other side of the same problem. Because vehicles are everywhere, they have to be very vulnerable so that infantry have a fighting chance against them.

So instead of epic battles where there are few tanks and every vehicle kill is a major accomplishment, we have a game where you kill a tank (or aircraft) and it's back on the front line in 2 minutes. That makes the kills meaningless and the fighting repetitive... an easily foreseeable consequence of their hedonistic "do anything/everything in the game without waiting" philosophy.
    • Up x 8
  4. LukeDude759

Or, you know... because of Magriders.
  5. Idono

Infantry do ineed cause moste of the killing in this game. It's not hard to figure that out.
  6. Hyperz

Oh joy, this subject again. You know what i find amusing? People always talking about vehicle "spam" as if it's something to be frowned upon. What about the infantry spam then? Hmm? Isn't it far worse? No? Because it's not as if infantry is not a serious problem for anyone in a vehicle (which by the way actually cost something and is on a timer). If you want infantry only go play CoD. If you want armor only go play something like WoT. This is a combined arms game. Deal with it. And for the record, I play as infantry 90% of the time. Whenever I see vehicles approaching all I see is an XP bucket on wheels. They're that little of a threat to an infantry group at the moment. Are you people just mad because you can't go eazy-mode-toss-a-nade-get-9001-kills mode on them? Jesus...

[/eor]
    • Up x 2
  7. Orosian

ohyou.jpg
  8. Badgered

The reason vehicle spam is a problem is that players become huge force multipliers on their own with little to no need for teamwork excluding Liberators. As someone else mentioned, vehicles in PS1 were much tougher (and the TTK for everything was higher) but required players to use their finite amount of certification points to unlock them. You would never see swarms of MBTs the likes of which you see in PlanetSide 2 in PlanetSide 1. This was a good thing for the combined arms aspect of the game and for the vehicle pilots as their vehicles were much tougher and wouldn't be cheesed by engineers with death frisbees or two shots to the tail pipe in a heated battle. Taking down vehicles was an achievement for players and infantry weren't just a thing to be farmed by vehicles as they currently are.

I made a post that got locked about this very topic, though I focused more on MBTs. This is a complex problem that is compounding on itself every time they add in spammable anti-vehicle weapons to counter vehicle spam. It needs to be solved before things spiral out of control entirely.
  9. Hyperz

I get what you're saying but the farming too goes both ways. If anything is farming infantry at the moment it's infantry itself. It's far more effective to farm as infantry because you're just a dot in the swarm while a vehicle is an attention magnet. And besides that, vehicles mass farming inf. is just a direct result of a bigger army stomping a smaller/weaker army. It would happen without vehicles, too. If you get farmed usually you already lost but are just holding out till the base flips or w/e. A larger TTK wouldn't effect it either. The scale and player numbers/density in PS2 is the main reason farming happens, and why it doesn't happen in small skirmishes. Buffing or nerfing anything won't change that.
  10. Isila

As I've said in other threads, this canned "go back to CoD/WoT" response is getting really, REALLY tired and overplayed. It was always stupid, but that's another story.

We don't want CoD. We don't want WoT. We want PLANETSIDE.

Planetside was a game that existed that had its own vehicle system and balance that was unique to it. It's a large part of why we loved that game, and a large part of why we were excited to finally play its long-awaited sequel.

What we have now is not Planetside 2, it is Battlefield 3: Auraxis Edition. I mean that in the most literal sense possible, the entire way vehicles work and are balanced is ripped whole cloth from the recent Battlefield model. Vehicles are everywhere, and they are weak and disposable. They are weak and disposable because they have to be for game balance, because they can be obtained by anyone at any time for effectively no cost (resources are meaningless, 5 minute (certed) timers are short).

We want Planetside vehicle mechanics. Strong, intimidating tanks that require two people (driver and gunner), have mounting/dismounting animations with specific mount points, no seat hotswapping, an actual cost for the ability to use them (sacrificing valuable cert points that would have unlocked stronger infantry armor or weapons, inability to contribute to base battles beyond pushing the fight into the courtyard)... and are thus devastating.

Taking on a tank on foot and solo in Planetside was madness. The best you could ever hope to do, barring supremely advantageous terrain (high ground in caves), would be to jammer it and hope the driver freaked out and ran away rather than mowing you down. And that was perfectly fine, because there was a real, meaningful cost to the crew of that tank for using it.

Taking on a tank on foot and solo in Planetside 2 is a common, everyday occurance. It has to be, because the only difference between the guy on foot and the guy in the tank is what button they clicked on the spawn screen.

So yes, we're mad as hell about vehicle spam.

Get rid of vehicle spam. Bring back vehicles that actually mean something.
    • Up x 6
  11. nickkeane

The resource system problem is something that has been an issue for a lot of people and is something SoE is aware of. Resources are just too plentiful and refillable right now. You're really more limited by time delays and you can cert out of that. Hopefully they'll reduce the rate at which you get them.
  12. 13lackCats

Hmm. If there's a lot of vehicles out there...have you tried killing them?
  13. Timantium

They would torpedo their own income stream if they restricted equipment and total available certs. Are you really expecting them to put a limit on what people can PAY for in the game?

Stock models are weak and die easily, they enable the base model for everyone so people will spend money primping them out with giraffe camo and rocket pods.
  14. IronWarrior

There is no such thing as spam.

This is a vehicle heavy game, the title kinda hints at that when it says Planetside, you gonna need vehicles to get around it. If you want infantry combat, go play COD.
  15. Squirreli

What I've never understood is why the vehicle timers are not counted from the moment the vehicle is lost. Now, since it is counted from the moment I pull the vehicle, all I need to do is keep the vehicle alive for 10 minutes and after that, if I die, I can have it back instantly... Making the vehicle timers start counting from the moment you've lost the vehicle could make the timers actually matter a bit (and you could always get rid of the vehicle by deconstructing to start that timer).
    • Up x 1
  16. Hyperz

Yes, yes it is. Much like the X/Y/Z spam/OP/nerf/buff QQ. Thought it was fitting.

And I guess that's why you're playing PlanetSide 2 instead of PlanetSide, right? Also, define "We"? Who's Dear Leaderâ„¢ art thou?

BF3 crap. If you want to compare it to a Battlefield game compare it to a proper one. BF2142 would be a good start. I do agree with your point though. It's much more of an MMO BF than a PS successor. And as an ex BF vet I know all to well how frustrating changes to a franchise can be. But really, it is what it is. I went back to BF2 for the same reasons. For better or for worse, this is not PS1 with better graphics and a larger scale and it will never be like that. Perhaps look for alternatives. It's how I landed here.
  17. Isila

No, not really. I'd still be playing PS1 if SOE didn't expect me to pay $15 a month for a dead game. A game which was killed not by its mechanics (although its gunplay is incredibly outdated), but by a singular, extremely poor design decision (BFRs) and rampant, unchecked cheating late in its life.

I would compare it to 2142 if it came anywhere even remotely close to deserving that comparison. 2142 was arguably the pinnacle of the Battlefield series -- and in fact, a lot of PS1 vets (myself included) were hyping it up pre-launch as the second coming of Planetside with BFRs done properly. PS2 would be a lot better at what it's trying to do (Battlefield clone with larger maps) if it was like 2142, but it's not. It's Battlefield 3: Auraxis Edition, right down to the minimap and capture point HUD graphic 'feel' and the fake sense of scale (huge no man's land outside the maps on BF3, renderside on PS2).

There are no alternatives. This was supposed to be the alternative, and it turned out to just be more of the same sans the loading screens.
  18. darkagent

i love how you say they dont want you to wait for things but yet SOE put timers on every single vehicle and forces you to cert into it if you want to wait less than 20 minutes to pull a new vehicle. i would just rather see more customization and a more dynamic type of game. pretty much this is sundy-side 2. the majority of vehicles i see are sunderers with the second most being MBTS. its not as diverse and interesting as the first one, the class system kills this game to. yeah its nice but prevents people from playing the way they want to, it just makes it another pick up and go game theres no in depth game play its just "go take empty bases".
  19. QuantumMechanic

Having Planetside 1 style dedicated drivers and dedicated gunners for tanks would cut down a lot on the vehicle spam.
  20. Blazini

PS1 did it right.. this F2P **** has made SOE more money crazy then before .....giving away vehicles... allowing u to upgrade via SC clearly shows what their design team /dev team are focused on ... hell i cant even see guys 10 meter in from of me but there are 100 new camos and guns coming out. They redo the bases but the spamming does not stop.. fights are not epic really more annoying . There are some great things about PS2 but they need to look at what made Ps1 great and get it together.