Why Planetside 2 inf sucks compared to Ps 1

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by direwind, Nov 22, 2012.

1. direwind

here are some abilities from PS1 that defined the class.

#better cloaking, people couldnt lower settings so you appear like a lightbulb in the dark.
    #ability to hack other players vechs
    #the shotgun pistol << awesome
    #perma stealth > can only use pistol
    #ability to mark targets for long range siege weapons
    #ability to call an airstrike
    #ability to pass through shields of enemy base
    #UI overlay showing how well cloaked you are.
    #sniper weapons
    #ability to cloak the flash blike
    #radar scambler tool
    #while cloaked can cer for faster movment
    #mines

things that can be done as a inf in ps2.

#Snipe
    #hack
    #a poor cloak
    #mines
    #um..that worthless radar gun that rarely if ever works

that is why ps2 infs are a total joke
  2. nubery

Yet more examples of how PS2 is just a dumbed down baby version of PS1. All of these mechanics defined the class as something special, and gave their role major depth. Now they're just cloakers with zoom rifles.

Your player base, the one that aren't just going to be playing this for two or so months and are going to be spending real money on it, want depth. Not the quick cash grab players who come in and drop 20 bucks on camo and guns. I'm talking about the true player base. You have loyal players SOE, and we're the ones that are going to stick it out. We do not want a BF3/CoD mmo. We want depth. We want to see this game last YEARS to come, not fizzle out. I have confidence you will listen and evolve this game into something special of its own, and not just a copy of recent shooters with a persistent map. Time will tell, SOE, and we're with you along the way.
    • Up x 1
  3. CiZerin

one word - headshot

PS2 win
  4. SirLoinofBeef

Infiltrator is only good for trolling people by hacking into active turrets and then killing the pilots before they realize what's going on. Everything else they can do can be done better by either going Light and doing spray and pray tactics, or just going Heavy or Max and herp derping all over.

Maybe if the cloak actually worked worth a damn and using the actual sniper rifle wasn't a constant chore.
  5. Aktarus

i'de like 1 billion time more to remove headshots and get back all the PS1 infiltrators gameplay mechanics , than keeping it like it is now ... acutally you dont play infiltrator you just play a boring sniper CoD style
  6. Vepo

I'm loving my Infiltrator at the moment. Sure we are missing things from Planetside 1, but remember that the beta had a lot more certs than what we have at this very moment in time. So things will get added!

Give it time and enjoy the game, get as many cert points as you can, so when new things come into the game you can instantly rank them up!
    • Up x 1
  7. Gray Olson

THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT! There's no depth after "headshot."
  8. Good_Kitty

I have no problem with the infiltrator. I kick *** and take names.
  9. iller

Gotta admit... all the headshotting I did felt 2-dimensional and cheesey in this. ...even when I was leading targets... I liked this class a lot but I could see it getting boring fast b/c I don't get that same rewarding ..."buzz"... from it that I get from TF2 & Mechwarrior headshots. The entire UI lags and makes it feel so damned luck-based at times. It always, always feels like I'm fighting the UI more than I'm fighting other players which means I spend more time camping than I ever spend "infiltrating". <-- That doesn't add depth to the class, it actually takes away most of it.

Instead of massive damage: Head, Torso & Extremity shots should leave the target vulnerable:
    • Head = dazed...really high spread / bad aim for 30 seconds.
    • Torso = permanently revealed/spotted for 30 seconds (bleeding/heat leaking)
    • Extremities = move slower / slower rate of fire
    If they had taken an approach like that instead, the INF wouldn't have had to be such a fragile 2D glass cannon with such terrible obvious-to-everyone Stealthing; and a lot more people could have taken a crack at him without feeling so limited by the UI or their own terrible aim.
  10. Ghostfox

They arn't finished with infiltrators to be honest. They are still working on adding the stalker cloak, which functions much like the PS1 cloak(and removes the primary weapon slot, so pistol, tool, and melee only).

Still hope they give more versatility to hacking.
  11. Saiidin

While I applaud your goals, why should they do that when they couldn't be arsed to support ps1 right, either? I'll enjoy it while it lasts, but I won't be shocked into a heart attack if it dries up as people get bored, either.
  12. wolfva

The problem, I think, is most people don't really know how to play infiltrators. They use them as snipers only, occasionally hacking a terminal or turret. Properly used though, they can wreak havoc during a battle.

Example: We lost Tawrich's main base today, which also caused the tower to be lost since their connected. I hacked all the terminals and turrets and we took over the tower, using it as a base to counter attack. Our forces had a spawn point (sunderer), tanks, and planes for air cover. We didn't have to retreat to a further base to run back piecemeal, getting torn up by enemy vehicles.

I haven't noticed any problems with the sensor gun; it works well. I wish it worked longer, but ah well; I think you can cert into longer times. The main problem is the map can get so cluttered it's hard to see anything on it.
  13. nubery

Sure PS1 wasn't perfect. But it has lasted over 9 years and I'm pretty sure it's still played today. It's got a ton of depth that wasn't present when it was released. It was grown over the years into something amazing of a game.
    • Up x 1