Why Newer Infiltrators Can Be Found Quick

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Kopulator, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Kopulator

I'm not the most experienced player...I played for awhile and took multiple breaks from the game totaling about three years before coming back...in that time a lot has changed.

After killing an enemy and cloaking, you should be safe right? Wrong. Their death screen will show the general direction you killed them from. Which means you need to move from the coned area.

Below is what the killed player sees, including the minimap...which shows the direction you killed him from. Once he/she sees this they will come back as either a light assault with a shotgun or a Heavy to kill you back.

http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Screen

In my opinion, one way to mitigate this is to move from the coned area...if you don't they will find you using a darklight flashlight. Using environment friendly camo will greatly help in this endeavor. Personally, I have sat in front of a rock... using nothing but camo...unstealthed...and watched my prey hunt me with a darklight flashlight from afar, without finding me.

If predictable...you will be killed...My K/D reflects learning this hard lesson (I'm a slow learner). Hopefully this post will help newer infiltrators and ease the learning curve a bit for the class.

Also...as a very basic reminder, bullet tracers will show your location...so its important to have fire discipline when choosing and shooting targets.
  2. PanzerGoddess

great advice. However staying in one spot no matter what class is always the fastest way to get found. Unless your holding a point with a group you should always be moving. Even still if your holding a point you should have some movement.
    • Up x 3
  3. Problem Officer

IMO the screen should never ever show the killer's location.
    However when taking damage, the source indicator should always be accurate, only exception being consumables' explosions.
    Perhaps retain that hit marker after death. No drawing on minimap, it's as good as having a killcam and does not belong in sandbox maps.
    • Up x 1
  4. Eternaloptimist

Yes indeed. three best tips for an infil after making an attack:
    • Relocate
    • Relocae
    • Relocate
    And don't do that then return to the same place looking for another kill, however good a spot it was.

One sneaky little option is to drop an AI mine just before you go under the cloak again and bug out.

I wonder how many people check out their escape route before they attack (and maybe booby trap it beforehand in case they get chased).
    • Up x 2
  5. Zagareth

Best way to avoid death as a sniper is:
    1. Be at least 150m+ away from your targets (most victoms don't even care to search farther than 100m)
    2. ALWAYS use a suppressor (unless you wanna be found quickly - minimap and sound will reveal you quite well)
    3. DO NOT use the cloak while at your sniping spot (it's sound will lead everyone to you within 100m range - if it is silent around) - only use it when you travel w/o cover or people start to look in your direction and you get no cover to hide behind.
    4. Try to get a shooting channel that mostly covers the light trail of your bullets (i.e. between rocks and trees)
    5. Always try to get an environment similiar camo and move as little as possible - people react on movement, even when it is in their eye angle and far away
    6. This rule also applies on the travel path to your sniping spot. If there is no cover on the way, sit down, unhide and DO NOT move until your cloak is up again. People tend to ignore unmoving objects.
    7. DO NOT use motion spotter while at your sniping spot - everyone and his mother will know there is someone when they come close any they don't help agaisnt crouchers anyway - better look around at a regular base and listen to footsteps (works quite well in silent areas - another reason for a higher distance to the targets, which are mostly in the noisy area)
    8. BY NO MEANS spot your targets - it's like yelling "Im here, come and kill me"
    These are a few hints, how you can avoid death as long as possible - even for hours at the same sniping spot. But still I didn't write all down, so the 8 tips will help, but you have to learn the rest by the hard way to become successful at all :D
  6. BrbImAFK

MAYBE if you're using a semi-auto at "close" sniping range you'll want to use a suppressor, but if you're using a bolt-action at "medium-long" sniper range there's a good chance that the suppressor will stop you getting OHKs even on headshots. In general, if you're at a decently long sniper range, there's simply no need for a suppressor.

Ummm... no. Again, this might be useful if you're much closer to the fight, where you might expect enemies to be around. But if you're further away, where there are unlikely to be enemies, you SHOULD use your cloak whenever you stick your head up to fire. Not using your cloak while you select your target, aim, etc. is just begging to be counter-sniped.
    This one's probably OK, but you should only ever be moving under cloak anyways, so....
    This isn't always necessary especially when you choose your path correctly, i.e. out of sightline of the likely enemy positions anyway. In addition, unless you can break sight with the enemy positions (behind a tree, in a ditch etc.), sitting still in the open is just asking to get sniped, blown up by a tank round, shot by a turret etc. etc.
    No. No, no, NO, NO!!! Unless you're close to the front line, there are unlikely to be any enemies around to see your spotter anyway. And if you ARE that close, your spotter gives you a good chance of having an ally intercept any enemy that's coming for you without you even having to do anything.

If you're a decent distance from the front line, the only enemies who are likely to be out there are dudes you've already shot and are coming for revenge. They've already got some idea of where you're working from so, unless you move large distances after every shot (which almost never happens, admit it), he's going to be heading at least in your general direction. Seeing a motion spotter on their screen isn't going to give them any more information than they had already, and might give you warning if they're not taking proper precautions.

However, never put your motion spotter next to you. That's just stupid. Put it some distance away. For some reason, people seem determined to go after the motion spotter. Probably something about "destroying it will conceal my movements". Which is silly, because running up to it and shooting/knifing it simply let's me know exactly where you are. Using your spotter as an early-warning / decoy is a wonderful way to start an ambush on anybody that's coming out to get you.

Finally, if somebody's coming after you that's doing everything right e.g. approaching from an unusual direction, using cover to break sightlines and conceal movement, crouchwalking when they get near you, avoiding shooting up the motion spotter, possibly running under stalker cloak etc. then your chances aren't good - motion spotter or no, cloaking or no, spotting or no etc. So don't get completely hung up about everything. Death happens. It's not a big deal.

This one is only true if you have no allies within a hundred metres or so. If there are fellow snipers in the area (face it... in a decent sized fight, it's almost impossible to find some place that isn't within 100m of some allies), there's an enemy HA heading straight for you and, for whatever reason you're not sure you can take him alone, spotting him will alert all your allies that he's there and you might get help to take him down. So yes... your point is kinda true, but not an absolute rule either.
    • Up x 1
  7. Moz

Agreed OP.

Have to admit though, with all my hours sniping i have never once thought to myself "he found me because of the death screen". You are more likely to be killed because of poor movement, tracers or sound.
  8. SupaFlea

Do not underestimate how random death, and the fact that their is quite a good chance the guy got killed again just trying to get back to your rough location. I myself as an LA primary and Cloaker Secondary know both sides of the problem. I make my person duty to try and exterminate infils, even the ones with dignity (SMG cloakers) when im LA. When im my Sharpshooter, I quite often am close to the front line, helping my squad even if they are just randoms ppl im grouped with. The only way to improve you reflexes and speed is by Death, it forces you to get better. The better you get the more useful you become to a squad rather than just a guy running around cloaked for kills or a sniper far away who cant help once his ppl are inside.

One of the most common mistakes i see is new Cloakers tapping their cloak when sniping from range and thinking their safe, ive killed loads of snipers because they cloaked while i saw them and dont move. Your gonna get seen no matter what you just have to make sure you not exactly where they were looking a few seconds ago.
    • Up x 1
  9. PanzerGoddess

"The only way to improve you reflexes and speed is by Death, it forces you to get better" ? to an extent....they say practice does make perfect, the biggest flaw with that statement would be an example such as:

you put yourself in the open all the time, you die, rinse and repeat, you really think it makes your reflexes better? FYI the speed in this game is always the same, there are no supermen in this game, its based on your mouse input/speed, fun control and flinch control, reflexes come in play if someone shoots you first and you counter fire as quickly as possible, if you are hitting your target, reflexes do not come into play....period, that's all input and gun control :)

You want to get better, you need to understand your environments, how cover works and learn to control your fire as well as keeping your flinch down to a minimum unless you are sniping close range or using a semi auto rifle that requires quick scoping or fast flinch control.

Reflexes will also come into play if you are shooting multiple targets, basically switching from one target to the next without reloading or a cease on your fire. Then again that still has a lot of control involved going from one target to the next, specially if you leading targets or your muzzle is chasing them, no control means no aim.
  10. Zagareth

You can OHK upto 250m with a BA and suppressor and pretty fast Body-shot kills upto 400m with Semi-Auto.
    Not using a suppressor will lead every enemy within 100m to you... and there are alot Sniper-Hunter and Countersnipers around, who only wait that a stupid sniper pops up on the map. Snipers w/o suppressor are the most simple targets at all... Believe me, I hunt snipers since Beta (not with THIS character, though)

I never use my cloak, only while traveling or while escaping when someone managed to find me. It's way easier and more safe, when you don't use it and rather us the environment to your advantage. But hey, I'll never force someone to follow my tips. Play like you want... and take the consequences.

Well, I love it when Snipers use a motion spotter - mostly he thinks he is safe, but that's not the case. At the first time after introducing the MS it WAS safe, but then it got nerfed and every crouchwalker could come close unnoticed. Now it's only good for monitoring a base and such - but not for securing a sniperspot.

There is always an exception for any rule - that's how life is... and of course, situational awareness keeps you alive, as long as you start using your brain.

Many rules can be broken a some time, but still, most snipers die, because they don't how to HUNT a sniper. This let them do stupid things that makes it very easy to kill them. If they would know how to hunt a sniper, they would avoid all these stupid things that makes it easy to find them.

However, 1. of all rules ever: Play like you want and have fun this way. Then it's all fine