Why is this game so broken?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SolemnSeraph, Jan 31, 2015.

1. SolemnSeraph

What happened? It feels like this game was once pretty high quality but has since begun to fall apart. It came out, what, two years ago? It's horribly buggy, and feels really off balance between factions. I've seen games become like this after budget cuts and/or staff change-outs. Is that what happened here? The the team get canned or moved and some new guys brought in? It seems hard for a new player to be effective in anything but support roles as everyone else has the advantage of experience and equipment. Except for those BR1 wallet warriors lol. Am I the only one that thinks monetizing items that have an effect on gameplay is crappy? Yeah, I just said a lot but I need some insight if I'm going to keep playing. Are things getting better? Or progressively worse? Does the teams decision making usually end up biting them? Or are the bad calls rare?

Let's hear your point of view.
    • Up x 1
  2. Goldmonk

I love this game to death. Yeah, we have the ejection bug (which I find kinda funny. Watching a Vanu rocket out of their Magrider makes me think "Huh, he's going back to Earth. Godspeed, little buddy.") Also, the "off" balance between factions all depends on the server. On Emerald, I noticed VS dominated for a while, then TR took over. Hell, NC had the top spot for a week or so.
    Also, main devs are not being moved around. The largest role I see being transferred is Community Managers. As far as new players being effective in support roles, think of it as your training wheels. You ride with them until you find something special. For me, I found the sniper. You'll get the hang of it. Now, wallet warriors. Don't worry about them. Different guns and cosmetics make no difference what so ever. Overall, I think things will get better in the new year.
  3. Veph

If you don't wanna be one to pay2win a little, reconsider why any company would ever make a truly free2play game. In the end you can pay the same as onetime purchase games to pick up the things you want, and I don't blame the BR 1 wallet warriors at all. Still, if I had bought a PS4 game, I'd have paid twice as much and you really can't blame a company for asking for money for their product in one way or another. From where I am I wont ever need to pay for PS2 again, no subscription or anything, cause I got a solid arsenal. I find this is a very OK business model.

The first time I tried a support role was 2 weeks into the game and I saw no issue beforehand. True, I had a solid weapon with the Orion but I still spent money to pick up a smg asap. If you're new to the game, you can't expect to be competition to experienced players. You can't do this in any game.

Bugs...every MMO has them. A MMOFPS is so much more susceptable to them and with so few of them around, PS2 is more or less a pilot project. And I don't find them gamebreaking at all. If anything they make for a funny distraction from the otherwise usual gameplay.

The concept of MMOFPS is still very new, there's likely very few educational documents and I believe the devs are inventing something new, as most likely the little bit of competition will not share their progress. In fact these games are so complex that they, I believe, weren't even possible earlier with older server-sided computing power. Not financially positive anyway.
  4. SolemnSeraph

I hope so. I keep falling victim to what I would deem "dirty gameplay" constantly. For example, and engineer and a Max set up camp across the road from a vehicle spawn. The engineer place an MANA turret right in front of the pad so any vehicle that spawned would get stuck and couldn't move. Then the Max would open up on the helpless vehicle from maximum range with those homing rockets while the engineer sat nearby on a fury flash waiting for any bailouts. Is this considered a collision exploit? For that matter, what is the hacker situation here? I've emptied a clip into guys who were seemingly AFK and they eat all the rounds,180 and one hit me with a carbine or assault rifle. My ping is ~80 so I know it's not me.
    And what is the outfit situation? I was just on my TR and got friendly fired a dozen times by some goons tagged AOD. It seems like VS and NC have some competent outfits but the TR seems to only have big clusters of, for lack of a more accurate term, idiots.

So far I've had a lot of silly crap happen that made me rage quit. This is obviously a team based game, but every squad I join has no leader. It's a mishmosh of players who aren't communicating or giving orders. Well, as far as TR goes. I've been in a couple of good squads on NC.

I'm just really confused. This is such a popular game but it seems so... mediocre.
  5. Goldmonk

It might be an collision exploit, or just trolling. Take out a ticket just in case (reporting the engineer and MAX in game by going to your chat menu, right clicking and going to "Report Player". As far as hacking, it is so hard to tell between lag and hack sometimes so I really don't worry about it unless it's blatantly obvious. For outfits Angels of Death (the guys who TK'd you) have a lot of good members. I was apart until I broke off and made my outfit (17AR). There are plenty of competent outfits for TR. Black Widow, 382nd, and many others. Every outfit and squad is bound to have an idiot or two.
  6. SolemnSeraph

You can monetize aesthetics or "fun" things. I've played several successful titles that do this. Offering things that help you beat your opponent for money is, IMO, quite unfair. Not to say I don't believe in supporting a title. But you don't have to offer guns and such for money.

I don't expect that. But the game seems... excessive. I'm not clear on how anyone can get better if you're perpetually being mowed down by high BR players.

Every game has them, sure. And MMO's are far more prone to them, I know. But the bugs I'm finding are so blatantly obvious, many are simple, and several are truly game-breaking. TBH I've only seen a few games this buggy so far after release, but those were flops that got no funding or attention. Some of the bugs on PS2 are so mickey-mouse, I feel like someone should be slapped for letting it slip into the build and into the PTS, let alone the live servers!

I'm not trying to hate on your favorite game guys. I just need to be convinced that
    1. It's worth my time and/or money
    2. It's getting better (or will start soon)
    3. That pricks are an extreme minority (I'm seeing a lot)
  7. SolemnSeraph

I just want to know how prevalent aimbots and such are. An SOE moderator told me "our anti-cheat is impregnable" which really makes me question how good it is. I tend to find that games with "flawless" anti-cheats are the most susceptible and I tend to steer clear. Few things irk my more that people pathetic enough to cheat for no gain lol.

Thanks for all of the info so far.
  8. ElGambo

I would not call a more than 10 years old "concept" old.
  9. Goldmonk

Honestly, there are many exploits, hacks, and cheats. I like helping new players, so no problem. Just stick with it
  10. SolemnSeraph

Thanks guys. See ya around.
  11. Jawarisin

You're talking about something very interesting in the second part.. But to keep it in order: If you don't notice the turret in front, that's your problem there, it's not like it's invisible. Never personnaly had that problem, and when my friends trolled me with it, turret usually breaks after a second or two.

Yeah, AOD is what is reffered to as a "zergfit". Every Faction had them at some point, VDRS (VS), SubG(still a bit alive! NC), PotP (NC), BWC (TR (or so I heard, but it was a Mattherson one))and a few others I can't remember. Those outfits are the one that send invites to EVERYBODY regardless of if you're new or old to the game. Most experienced players avoid those, although a few will join them and teach the new players.
    So yeah, those outfit are mostly huge number of un-experienced players with a very few rare good ones. The upside is they give an environement for newer players to learn the game a bit faster, get to see what an outfit looks like, and probably get taught a few things. The downside is you feel like you get TK'd a lot by them, but it's only really because the players are new and not good yet. It's also kind of a free-kill tag, so there's that for the other factions ^^.
  12. Veph

I'm very new to the game...2 weeks to put it in numbers. I can't relate to this statement. I kill so many BR 100... I dont even care anymore just what I kill cause it's pretty equally spread over the entire BR range. The only times I get frustratingly mowed down is by really excessively good players OR when I am outnumbered.

And if the game doesn't more or less push you to spend some SC, I guess it wouldn't be profitable to SOE and thus would need to be shut down eventually. Because... why spend any money at all, otherwise? It's all free, hooray..no this isn't a perfect world.

As to how simple some bugs are... I won't argue with that. It's true, but I believe SOE has the biggest loss of players due to performance issues right now, so...priorities. I have no insight how bug swatting works but in the end, SOE will fix what causes the greatest losses foremost.
  13. ElGambo

Experienced played avoid them? They are full of them. At least on Cobalt.
    And you get teamkilled the whole time from experianced players, for various reasons.
  14. Veph

15. ElGambo

Planetside 1 is older than 10 years and then there is World War 2 Online: Battleground Europe which is even older.
  16. Turiel =RL=

The problem with PS2 is that the initial balance got sacrificed in order to sell weapons and upgrades. When they finally realized that everything was FUBAR, they couldn't roll it back. Instead they simply hotfixed everything all at once by handing out C4 to everyone.
    If you think tanks are OP, just C4 them! If you think MAXs are OP, just C4 them! If you hate guys with C4, just C4 yourself!
  17. FieldMarshall

SOE is in charge. Its what they slowly do and has done with all their games.
    • Up x 1
  18. Crashsplash

It's not new as the first planetside development began around 15 years to go. Of course there were limitations because of the power graphical and computing power that was available but it worked and population levels still hit 600 per continent.

Financially it did make a profit although it wasn't a big hit.
  19. MasterDk78

Still waiting for that hotfix that should fix the hotfix, they made that hotfix to fix the previous hotfix that should have fixed the patch...
  20. MasterDk78

And the game is so broken right now coz they are all working on the ps4 game.
    So I guess they had to pull the staff from somewhere. Lucky us